2018 NOVEMBER – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion 2018 NOVEMBER – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  IceFire 3 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Cin
    Participant

Started the new thread…

The garage sales are finished for the year.

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used
    New canned goods for the LTS
    Sta-Bil for the gas cans (Husband refreshed them last week)
    2 new pairs of Cuddle Duds long underwear for me

Husband mulched leaves that are falling. Temps are falling too – we might start the wood stove next week.

Finished 2 quilts that have been on my project list for a while, one is from 2012 (did the patchwork, never quilted the beast). They are now in the ‘extra blankets’ storage area. One is backed with fleece, too, for extra warmth.

IceFire

Took the truck (AKA “the Beast”) in for an oil change and tire rotation (regular but necessary maintenance to keep it running properly) today. Air filter and battery also needed to be replaced (Battery failed the load test done as part of the 28-point courtesy check.) Also had washer fluid replaced. Total cost to me? ZERO! The battery was replaced under warranty, and the rest of the cost was covered by my “Loyalty points.”

On the way home, stopped by Lowe’s and got 10 more heavy-duty T-posts for re-enforcing the back corral panels and also picked up a hop vine on clearance to replace the rhizome that never came up.

Cin
    Participant

I found an empty Lysol wipes container, so I took some flannel, cut it to the same size as the wipes (7 1/4 inches by 7 3/4 inches), zig-zag sewed the edges, rolled them up and put them in the container with a homemade solution recipe I found on the internet. The container can hold 20 wipes (it held 35 paper wipes, but they were thinner).

The homemade solution:

1 cup water
    2 Tablespoons vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon dish soap (I used Dawn)
    8-10 drops essential oil (I used lemon)

Shake and pour over the rags in the container.

I used one to spiff up the guest bathroom today and it worked great.

I’l probably make some for the kids. I don’t use the paper wipes but may be forced to buy ’em to get the container. 🙂

IceFire

After getting home from church, went to the feed store to get a couple bales of hay for the goats (wanted to get more, but that was all they had left. Will have to try again Tuesday.) After getting the hay home and in place, helped hubs with wiring the back corral panels to the T-posts he had driven in. Then, moved the last of the adolescent chicks out into their new homes (Speckled Sussex with the Buff Orpingtons and Barred rocks with the Barred Rock/Silver-Laced Wyandotte bunch. Finally, planted the Cascade Hop vine that I bought yesterday.

IceFire

Picked up a bag of meat bird feed (for the turkeys) and sunflower seed (for the goat grain mix) on the way home from work before stopping off to vote. At home got the feed and seed unloaded in their respective areas before switching out to the truck to go to the nearby feed store for 4 bales of hay and a 50 lb bag each of oats, wheat, and milo (also for the grain mix.) Got it all unloaded into the feed room and mixed up the grain mix.

IceFire

We had a fire drill at work today so while we were all evacuated from the building, decided to take advantage of the time out and walk a few laps around the track…by the time they let us back in I’d done two miles. At first I was the only one walking, but by the time I finished the first 4 laps a few others had decided to walk a few laps as well.

After stopping by the mailbox on the way home from work, had to go to the post office to pick up a package…my turkey-sized leg bands and killing cone for the turkeys arrived today. Now I’m ready for harvesting our Thanksgiving turkey.

Cin
    Participant

Grocery shopping today.

Restocked what we used
    Stocked up on canned goods for the LTS
    Turkeys were on sale for 78 cents a pound – I bought three

Husband lit the wood stove this evening, temps will go to the teens tonight.

A friend asked me to sew some goodies for her table at the local craft fair in December. So I started on some small projects, mostly bowl cozies for now. Also picked up a commission this evening, a Christmas apron. 🙂

IceFire

After feeding animals, de-pooping the corral, then (AFTER washing up) making breakfast (yes animals get fed before people get fed around here), made the 90-mile drive to the city for a Sam’s/Costco/fabric store run today.

Stocked up on the shelf-stable bacon hubby likes (can NOT get it around here), another 45-roll package of TP, 12-count package of paper towels, 2-pack of Peroxide, a couple 2-packs of Salsa, 6-pack of macaroni multi-packs of batteries, butter, stuffing and a few other things. At the fabric store, found a nice black silk shantung that will make a nice blouse (AND a few other items, since there was a bit over 5 yards on the roll, and I took the entire thing) and a thick-woven black and brown silk (think like a kind of coarse weave you might find on a sofa or chair, but SOFT, because it’s silk) that I’m thinking of turning into a suit for wearing to work.) Also found hubs a couple of long-sleeved pull-over type 1/4-zip collared shirts he can wear to work.

Gassed up the car before heading home (gas was about 38 cents a gallon cheaper there than it is here) and got back just in time to help hubs feed animals and gather eggs.

IceFire

Spent most of the day today working on the greenhouse. Used the polycarbonate panels salvaged from the greenhouse that had been destroyed by a microburst; also used reclaimed 1x4s to cover the gaps between the panels, and hold them in place (until we ran out, but what we had salvaged took care of half of the build. Did have to go into town to get additional 1x4s, and some 12-foot long 2x4s for use as supports for the roof. Daughter helped with putting up the panels and wood strips. Finished the walls on either side of where the doorway is, one end wall, and the entire length of the back wall (about 19-20 feet.)

Still need to get the other end wall done, the roof over the one end and entry (the other side is already covered) and get a door on, but it’s done enough that I don’t have to worry about the stuff inside blowing out; as well as enough of a difference in temperature in the covered end from the outside air that it will protect the potted citrus trees, ginger, turmeric, pineapple, and aloe plants from the freezing temps we are expecting tonight (had our first frost last night.)

dmwalsh568
    Participant

Replaced a leaky toilet (had already repaired it too many times and it was still leaking, so decided it was time to go new.) At least the new unit is dual flush so that should help with water usage.

Got my early winter preps ready. Car kits have been put back, ice melt at each entrance to the house and shovels too. Snow was forecast for within 50 miles of us later this week, so it was time to get ready…

IceFire

Picked up 4 bales of hay for the cow and goats, 100 pounds of oats, and 150 pounds of chicken feed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.