2018 SEPTEMBER – What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion 2018 SEPTEMBER – What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cin 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Cin
    Participant

Started the new thread…

Grocery shopping and yard sales.

Grocery shopping:

Duct Tape
    Metallic Tape
    Cardboard boxes (to line faraday cage)
    Non-perishable foods for our upcoming trip

Yard sales:

Shirt for me – $1
    6 appliqued treat bags for grand-niece’s parties – $1
    DVD – $1
    2 costume patterns for kids – 50 cents

IceFire

Hubs and I went to the gun show this morning. He ended up getting a Walther PPK. I didn’t find anything I couldn’t live without, as the majority of what was there was WAY overpriced, but DID find a lace thigh holster. Actually, it was a package of 2 (one white, one black) with the garters to hook them to a garter belt (which I already had) for $5. THAT was a bargain!

Later, went to the farm/ranch store…we each got a holster, and I also got 2 more magazines for my Kimber Micro, giving me 6 mags for it.

Cin
    Participant

Had to go to Walmart yesterday for a few things for our trip up north.

Husband has now completed the two faraday trashcans full of spare equipment. They are labeled and in the LTS.

IceFire

Went through my emergency kits in my purses, and a couple of other kits to add fishing line, hooks, and weights…noted some discrepancies and deficiencies in the purse kits, so addressed them (some things that were in one kit were NOT in the other.) Also added the fishing line, hooks, and weights to some other kits, and made some duct tape rolls to add to others.

Cin
    Participant

We’re headed out for vacation in the next few days and have asked the neighbors to watch the animals.

Suddenly, Husband and I remembered that we have a lot of preps sort of in the open – anyone checking the place out could see them.

So just in case anyone decides to look around, we are purging the closets and drawers and putting stuff in the LTS, which is a secured location that few people are aware of, even our neighbors. We have a foot locker that is a great container to tuck the things away.

I’ve been printing out free sewing and quilting patterns so I’ll have hard copies should the power goes out or grid goes down. I’m also purging them from my computer, just to keep it more organized.

msdeltamom
    Participant

Stocked up on a few canned goods. Currently checking to make sure we have flashlights and things in place in case we lose power from Gordon. We’re inland a good ways, so it shouldn’t be an issue, but TWC is saying it’s possible.

IceFire

Shoveled up and moved 4 contractor-sized wheelbarrow loads of “future fertilizer” from the corral to the “future fertilizer” pile.

It was “bucket sale” day at the farm/ranch store. (Buy a food-grade 5 gallon bucket for $3.99 and get 10% off of anything you can get in it. Got 10% off the sale price on sale items, as well.) Even though it didn’t fit in the bucket, also got the 10% off on the 40 lb bag of dog food, too. In addition, we got 2 gamma seal lids ($5.39 each), long-sleeved t-shirt for hubs, a new pair of jeans for me (had to get a size smaller than my other ones, since I shrunk out of the others), OB chain and pull handle (for use in case I have to “pull” a calf or kid), axe sharpener, .380/9mm bore snake, “tech grip” holster, “spark-lite” with wetfire tinder and waterproof matches, emergency blanket for the kit that didn’t have one, and an LEM freezer tape dispenser with tape (Because I get REALLY tired of having to pull off a bunch of tape pieces and have them stuck to the edges of my counters when I’m wrapping stuff in freezer paper.)

IceFire

Got the excess building supplies cleared out of the chicken coop I’m still working on, got the nest boxes built, (still need to put up the dividers in the bottom row) and added some “overhang” to the roofing material and tacked it down over the siding to solve some leakage issues along the back side of the coops.

IceFire

Finished the nest boxes, got the roost ladder built and installed, and got the last end panel in place on the last coop; so I can now count it as DONE! (That is, until I start on another coop adjacent to it…..)

When I went into town to get a larger sized spade bit (so that I could get the holes drilled for the roost ladder) I swung through the garden section…they FINALLY had a couple of almond trees! So, got the LAST tree I needed for the orchard, and got it planted as soon as I got home.

Have a job interview tomorrow afternoon….keeping my fingers crossed!

IceFire

Harvested green beans, runner beans, carrots, tomatoes and okra this morning. Ended up getting 1 1/4 pounds of green beans, 3/4 pound of runner beans, a bit over a pound of carrots, Yellow pear tomatoes, Principe Borghese tomatoes, and San Marzano tomatoes and a few sliced Okra pods in the freezer.

IceFire

Harvested another 1/2 lb of green beans; then pulled the last of the pumpkin vines. Planted fall crops–Celery, 3 types of lettuce (Romaine, Buttercrunch, and Red Sails) 4 types of carrots (Dragon, Nutri-Red, Yellowstone, and Short-n-Sweet), Rainbow Swiss Chard, Melting Sugar Snow Peas, Green Arrow peas, Bloomsdale spinach, Detroit Dark Red beets, Hollow Crown Parsnips, Purple Top White Globe turnips, Florence Fennel, White Lisbon scallions, and transplanted a Purple tomatillo from a pot into one of the beds.

Also removed the chain link panel keeping the roosters from the back of the run and the coop that I just finished. Tomorrow will have to put up the bird netting from the edge of the coop over the top of the run.

IceFire

Daughter and I got the bird netting up over the tops of the runs, then while the 2 roosters were up in their coop, shut the door and disassembled their run inside the bigger run. Moved “the boys'” run and reassembled it outside the other runs, then daughter and I picked up either end of their “coop” and moved it out and set it up with the run we had moved.

Also started reassembling the old small coops. Got them partly done, but need to build new roofs for them (the old roofs fell apart, which is why we had disassembled the coops and built new, bigger ones), block off the openings where the nest boxes had been (those fell apart, too)and re-attach some doors. Then, those coops can be used temporarily as “bachelor quarters” for the roosters that I don’t want to be breeding this time around, while I shift some hens around to separate by breeds/colors.

IceFire

Processed a bit over 2 lbs of green beans and a pound of runner beans for the freezer.

It was kind of like Christmas here today…husband had “subscribed” for a monthly “SHTF” Elite box for us to share…it came today. The box contained a “pistol crossbow” (he gave it to me, since he already has one); foldable twist razor (he kept that); a “Moonshine Making Guide”; (interesting information); Paracord survival watch (we’ll see how long it takes me to kill the watch, since I’ve killed every watch I’ve ever had) with compass, fire starter, emergency whistle, nine-piece fishing kit, fire tinder, and 2 safety pins; “Rampage” pocket knife (You need a big pocket for that knife, as it’s pretty big–hubs kept that); “Black Ronin” tanto (NICE tanto…he kept that, too); a pouch of tomato basil pasta soup mix (supposed to serve 4) a small flashlight/lantern; a spork 2-pack (we’ll probably put those in the “trade goods”, as we already have several); a Kaito Voyager V2 AM/FM/SW/NOAA weather band emergency radio that has 4 different power methods–solar, windup, battery, or USB, and can also be used to charge a cellphone; and an Altoids-sized tin with a set of 3 wire snares (I broke that up to put a snare each in 3 different kits)

On top of that, son-in-law came home from work with 4 new roosters…a Silver-laced Wyandotte (have the SW hens to breed him to), a Bantam Cochin (not sure what to do with him as yet), and 2 Sicilian Buttercups (VERY pretty…might just breed them to my RIR hens.)

IceFire

Went through the GHB for the car to check on contents.

The fence panels for the pig pens were delivered today, along with the horse hay. Pruned off some mesquite branches that were in the way for where I need to put the back panels. Hope to get the pig pens put together tomorrow.

Finished the repair/rebuild of the old small coops, including new roofs, so that they can be used as quarantine/hospital/rooster coops. Put the 4 new roosters that son-in-law brought home yesterday into one of the coops. After I move a couple of the “old” roos to the other small coop tomorrow, I can start shifting hens and separating by breed.

After hubs got home from work, he and I loaded the panels for the goat shelter that needed to be moved into the truck (they are built on pallets, so they are HEAVY, and moving them was a 2 person job) and moved to where the new goat pen is located. Tomorrow I hope to get them back together (along with some 4x4s for reinforcement) and get Mr. Stinky (not actually his name, but a buck in rut REEKS!) moved.

IceFire

Got the new pig pens built….just need to add gates and pig shelters.

Put the 2 roos from last year’s hatch into the 2nd small coop; shifted the Buff Orpington, Auracana, and “Buffacana” (Buff Orpington/Auracana cross) hens into the coop/run with the Buff Orpington rooster; moved the Barred Rock rooster into the coop/run with the Barred Rock and Silver-Laced Wyandott hens; and moved the Rhode Island Red hens in with the Rhode Island Red rooster.

Weeded the spot where the goat sheter will go in the “buck pen.” Got the parts together for the goat shelter…will need to add 2x6s to the ends before attaching everything together. Also moved a 4×8 board into the area to cut and cover the top.

Got a call late this morning about the job I had interviewed for…I got it! Rather than wait until the 17th to call with the decision, the company made their decision and called today. Don’t have my start date yet, but knowing that I will be back to paid work (rather than just working my butt off around here without a paycheck) is a mind-easer. It ALSO means that I need to hurry up and get my homestead building projects finished!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.