2018 SEPTEMBER – What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion 2018 SEPTEMBER – What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cin 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

IceFire

Added the 2x6s to the ends of the pallets and got them screwed together, then got the roof together, so the goat shelter is done. Also moved one of the hay feeders over and got it hung to the fence and filled the water tank. After hubs got home from work, we moved “Mr. Stinky” and the wether (for company for him) to the new pen. The goats are definitely NOT happy! The boys are calling for the doeling, and she’s calling for them. Hubs then decided that we need another doe. So, guess I’ll be on the lookout for one.

Found out that I start the new job on the 24th, so I have until then to get as many of my “outdoor projects” as possible done.

Cin
    Participant

We are back from vacation.

I have done nothing prep-wise, other than putting some more stuff on our local Facebook market page.

Because we want to take the dog with us next time, we need to accommodate his needs, which means a safe place for him to stay if dogs aren’t allowed where we go. Yellowstone allows dogs, but not on most of the trails.

So…I don’t really want the headache of an RV…too cheaply made and too much maintenance. Plus, they’re expensive. So I’m trying to talk Husband into a skoolie – we can do most of the work ourselves if we find the right bus.

We shall see.

IceFire

Y’all can appreciate this…when I went to go put the new bag of feed into the feed can for the ducks, noticed that the girls have started laying! 3 lovely duck eggs. Now I need to think of something yummy to bake with them.

Started working on a commission Dirndl for a friend. Right now I’m tracing out the pattern pieces…will start cutting fabric tomorrow.

Cin
    Participant

While we were gone, it rained about 1 1/2 inches here at home. The water harvesting system worked beautifully. The totes are both full! Husband let some out, just to check on the gravity-fed system, he says it gushes out just as it should. He’s pleased with the system. We will be building another one in the coming months, or wait for spring, not sure what he’s planning.

I worked at de-cluttering the guest room and posted a couple items for sale on our local page. Maybe my prices are too low – once again, I sold the items within hours. But low prices are guaranteed sales, so I’ll keep doing it because the room is slowly getting cleaned out, which means more room for preps.

Picked up my new reading glasses, and gave the progressive lenses back
    – I just can’t handle them. I did not grow up wearing glasses, have only recently acquired the need, so I simply couldn’t get used to the limited field of vision both near and far in the same pair. I asked for plain distance glasses, instead.

Cin
    Participant

Grocery shopping and yard sales today.

Grocery shopping:

Restocked the LTS canned goods – evaporated milk, condensed milk, green beans, corn, white kidney beans, kidney beans, soups.

Yard sales:

Maintenance book for the 4Runner (our niece owns it now, but she does most of her own maintenance) – $1
    Architect lamp $5
    4 old PYREX bowls – $7
    shirt for Husband – $1

Cin
    Participant

Got my new distance glasses, what a difference!

Our neighbor brought over the cord of wood we bought from him. He had split to the right length and even helped Husband off-load it. Then Husband built another rack and stacked it all neatly under the carport.

Loaned out our little hauling trailer to another neighbor.

Gave an unneeded glass front cabinet to yet another neighbor! (more decluttering! YAY!)

I sewed 2 table runners yesterday and downloaded some recipes to try for Christmas. πŸ™‚

IceFire

This last weekend I got the dirndl finished and delivered. Also harvested and processed 3 1/2 pounds of green beans, a couple pounds of tomatoes, and a bunch of okra. Also got started on another goat shelter…had to go get some 2x6s for the ends so that I can screw the sections together.

Also got some new chicks…Rhode Island Reds and Speckled Sussex…they are currently in the brooder box in my sewing shed.

IceFire

Got the additional goat shelter finished, and repaired the door on one of the coops (the plywood with the “chicken door” over the bottom half had come off, so went in and re-fastened it with screws instead of nails/tacks.) Trying to get at least 1 project done (or at least worked on, for the bigger projects) every day. Tomorrow’s plan is doors for the duck house.

IceFire

Got the duck house doors done and mounted onto the duck house. Sure beats dragging the dog crates (weighted with cinderblocks) across the entrance every night, and back out every morning. Now I can just close the doors and throw the barrel bolt across.

Bought 5 cases of half pint jars. Have a bunch of veggies to can, and half pints are just the right size for veggies with a meal for the two of us.

IceFire

Took the dog crates that I’d removed from using as “doors” to the duck house and used them to extend the runs on the two small chicken coops, giving the roos a little more room.

Also got the “trim” around the entrance for the dog house under the back steps done.

Cin
    Participant

Grocery shopping and yard sales today.

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used
    Got 2 more pairs of CuddleDuds (fleece-lined long underwear, tops and bottoms)
    Stocked up on canned goods – Husband is rotating old canned goods out of the LTS, so we’re buying new to re-stock. Tomato products this week.

Yard sales:
    A Bible concordance – $3
    Table runner – $1
    50 pack 4″ x 4″ gauze pads – 25 cents
    8 pack of double-sided foam tape – 25 cents
    (I may hit that yard sale tomorrow – there was more medical stuff I didn’t get a chance to look at closely due to being with other people in a hurry)

The weather has turned suddenly cold – 30s and 40s in the mornings, from 70s to 80s just 4 days ago. We’re bundling up for our walks, but the dogs are loving it, this weather is perfect for dogs who wear a fur coat for life. πŸ™‚

Got my vehicle back, too – something to do with the throttle gave out. πŸ™ Thank heavens for the emergency fund, cost me over $400.

IceFire

Got the polycarbonate panels for the greenhouse sorted/organized by size. Hope to start getting them cut and attached tomorrow.

Also made a pot of chicken soup and let it cook all day, then filled pint jars that I can take to work for lunches. Ended up with 8 full pint jars.

IceFire

Got 6 new Barred Rock chicks today, and added them to the 4 Rhode Island Red and 2 Speckled Sussex chicks in the brooder box.

A gentleman from church came by today to take a look at the old drive gate that we need repaired/welded (he does it for a living, but also does “side” jobs)…He has a computer that needs to be looked at/fixed, so we’re going to do a barter…he’ll fix the gate and husband will take care of his computer. Gotta love a barter!

I gave him a (rather large) watermelon from the garden (I had been showing him and his young son the animals, and we had gone into the garden so he could see the ducks when he spotted the melons) and he gave me a two-person porch-type swing…the cushions are gone (but I can either make new ones or buy some) and has a metal chaise lounge (also needing new cushions) that he wants to get rid of, so will be giving me that, as well.

IceFire

Went through the GHB I keep in the car to inventory/update. Added the Kaito Voyager V2 radio (AM/FM/SW/Weather band) with flashlight and siren that has multiple power sources (Battery/dynamo/solar/USB) and can also be used to power cellphone, etc. We had gotten it in hubby’s SHTF subscription box at the beginning of the month.

Got him a small pack (same size as y GHB) so that he can consolidate his first aid and emergency kits. Personally I think he should keep it in the truck. He probably won’t, though.

Cin
    Participant

I have family visiting so haven’t done much prep-wise, but it sure is nice not to have to go to the grocery store for food. I’m handling dinner every night for everyone, and so far, it’s been a breeze for 3 nights.

Everyone loves the sourdough bread made with yogurt, instead of sourdough starter. I refined the recipe some, and it turned out well. Husband has been eating it instead of the commercial bread he loves, for breakfast! YAY!

Sourdough Bread Without Starter
    3 cups flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 Tablespoon yeast
    ΒΌ cup hot water
    1 Β½ cups yogurt (more may be needed)

In a bowl, mix the flour and salt until well blended.
    In ΒΌ cup hot water, add yeast and allow to proof about 10 minutes until bubbly foam forms on top.
    Add the yeast and yogurt to the flour and mix with floured hands until a dough is formed. If the mixture is too dry add 1 or 2 tablespoons more of the yogurt.
    Form into a ball. Place dough in a bowl and allow to rise for 4 hours or until double.
    Remove the dough and lay on a floured surface. With floured hands knead and shape into a ball. Cover with a tea towel.
    Lightly oil a cast iron dutch oven pan and preheat the pan in the oven at 400 F. for 30 minutes while the dough is rising.
    Carefully place the dough ball in the dutch pan and put the lid on. I only had a 5 quart dutch oven, and was afraid the lid would prevent it from rising, so I used a sheet of aluminum foil instead, loosely placed over the top.
    Bake covered for 25 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 8-10 more minutes or until browned.
    Remove from oven and cool on a rack. Slice when cool.

The second time I made it, I used a cast iron loaf pan and foil as a lid. Worked great.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.