2019 – MARCH – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion 2019 – MARCH – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cin 1 day, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Cin
    Participant

Started the new thread.

Our area is getting 8 inches of snow in the next day or so.

Today was our regular shopping day – the place was packed with people buying last minute!

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used

I bought some meal prep rectangular bowls with lids – I’d bought some before and we found that they serve a comfortable-sized meal for the two of us. Husband has made paella and enchiladas so far. We can heat in the microwave, or scoop out easily to heat in a conventional oven. I plan to make more dishes to have in the freezer.

LTS – Husband is continuing to restock our LTS, after we got rid of most of the canned goods due to age. Today, he bought Keystone canned meats, tomato products, and soup.

Also ordered some door alarms. A few miles away, some thefts have been hinted at, so we figured we’d take care of that issue (We also have a large dog).

I did laundry this evening in case the power goes out.

Cars are gassed up, we have at least 30 gallons of gas for the generator, and 4 twenty-pound bottles of propane for cooking. Also have 5 bags of BBQ briquets and lighter fluid. Plenty of lamp oil and the water buckets for the toilets are standing by. 🙂

IceFire

Got the incubators down from storage and set up. Turkeys have started laying eggs, so putting in the turkey eggs and some duck eggs for hatching.

Cin
    Participant

A few weeks ago I turned one of those plastic-lidded salad containers into a terrarium and planted 6 lime tree seeds. Two are coming up! YAY! Now to keep the poor little trees away from the cat who likes to eat them!

I still have seeds, might try to grow some more, too.

IceFire

Made initial advances to getting a weanling bull. Hoping that the people who were originally going to get him don’t come up with the $$. If they don’t, he’s mine. Once he’s mature enough, he’ll have a job making babies with the cow. Since we got our state tax refund today, I’ll use part of that to buy him.

IceFire

Well, the other people finally contacted the seller. Rats! But, he has 3 more cows due to deliver in May, so hopefully one of those will be a bull calf. Then I’ll just have to wait for him to be weaned. (NOT doing a “bottle baby” bull…that’s how they get dangerous!)

Set aside the “livestock money” envelope for later (and will be adding more to it), “paid back” $200 of the $300 I had “borrowed” from the car stash, and added another $30 to the truck stash (only need another $20in 1s to finish that off.) Between the vehicle emergency stashes the livestock money envelope, and the in-house cash stash I have over $1500 in readily accessible cash if needed, and I add to it weekly.

IceFire

Got a 100 gallon stock tank set up an filled outside the “dairy pen” so that we can let the cow out to run (OK, WALK) around the property during the day while still giving her access to water. Should help trim her hooves down and keep them trimmed. Got another hundred pounds of feed for the turkeys and ducks (50 lbs each.) Also another turkey egg into the incubator today.

Cin
    Participant

I’ve not been doing much. I do have another lime tree coming up and I planted 4 more. I’m hoping to have them big enough to give out as gifts to the families that will be coming to the reunion in July.

Grocery shopping on Friday:

Restocked what we used

LTS:
    Canned meats and veggies
    Case of dog food

Husband put the small amount of wood back on the wood pile and took down the porch rack. The days are warming and we no longer need the wood stove fired up. 🙂

IceFire

Mostly financial preps…added to the “cash stashes” in the truck and car added to the “livestock money” (the money I’m saving up to purchase various livestock); and added to the emergency fund in the safe.

Tax refunds are in, so will pay off a bill Get a reloadable prepaid debit card for husband, deposit money to my prepaid, and still have money left to bump up the savings.

IceFire

Took the first two quarts of goat milk and made a batch of yogurt. Had to do some improvising, as the recipes I had called for ingredients that daughter can’t have (things like whey powder, sugar, etc.) ended up simply using the goat milk, yogurt culture, arrowroot powder (as a thickener), blackberries, and honey. Ended up with 9 half-pint jars.

Cin
    Participant

Ice – how’d the goat yogurt turn out? Taste, texture, etc?

We had a crisis Monday, the dog got sick…finally took him to the vet, thank heavens we did – he has pancreatitis. The vet was aggressive in treatment, and we came home with 3 meds, and a case of special food. We have to change his diet. We are also a bit poorer…vet bills…sigh. He goes back Monday for a blood test to be sure we’ve been aggressive enough.He finally turned a corner yesterday, started feeling better. Today he’s almost back to normal, even begged for a treat!

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used.
    Case of bottled water for the car

LTS:
    2 gallon jugs of water
    Canned goods

And an unadvertised yard sale today!(all for toddler niece):

5 pairs of Jordache jeans
    9 tops
    1 white capelet (for her costume box)
    1 pair of cowboy boots
    3 crib sheets
    Grand total: $20.00

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum