A Ladies World

This topic contains 54 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Vina8 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Vina8

Tamtbell and arkieready, you both are way ahead of where I was two or three years ago! I learned a lot including some confidence from the great women on this forum. I am glad you have joined us. It sounds like we can learn from you, too.

lorie

I’m in awe of you ladies! I’m so mad at myself for getting old and forgetting how to can and garden veggies. I still have flower gardens and my yard looks like a park but they’re not good eating.
    I gave all my canning stuff away when I got divorced…now I gotta buy all new and relearn.
    I can still knit and sew, I’ve built a mile of retaining walls, I know my rocks. I used to feel rich when I had a stockpile of rocks to build from, now I just want to stock food.
    I’m a durn good dog groomer and I can wrangle the meanest kittie for a bath and haircut but that will get me nowhere should the SHTF.
    I got an excaliber dehydrater last week and the first thing I did was cut up a bunch of chicken for my poodles! Last time I did that was last thanksgiving with the turkey in the oven. I hate the white meat and always goes to waste…so now I need to experiment..
    I do have a question for you tho, I have a glasstop stove. I think I read I cannot use a pressure cooker on it..does anyone know about this?? Thanks in advance!!
    Also, how do you turn your other half around? I don’t think mine will ever accept my stockpile until he is hungary 🙁
    Tired of talking about it to his thick head.

tamtbell
    Participant

Actually the kicker for me was my Mom did her best to rear a gentile lady that would possibly someday be married to a man of means which would allow me a life of comfort. :rofl: :thumbdown:
    That meant she kept me about as far away from animal husbandry, firing weapons or other useful skills like that. Only now, since I’ve pretty much rebelled against much of what she still harps on me about (Okay, I’m a 38 year old woman. It took me a while to really start pushing back against her! LOL) and now I’ve insisted to hubby that I must learn how to handle firearms (I learnt a bit from my Dad secretly as a kid), when we move out of our current house (military housing) I have a goal to start raising chickens for the eggs, rabbits for the meat, goats for the milk, cheese and soap, and bees. I also (and this is pretty far out there) want to learn how to become adept at handling a bow and arrow. I used to do that when I was in Middle school but when my Mom caught wind on that one I was promptly pulled out of it. 🙁
    My hubby is supportive of everything OTHER than the goats which he cannot stand. LOL
    Past few months I’ve updated my knowledge on foraging and know quite a bit around me that can be used both medicinally and for food.
    Lorie,
    We love our excalibur! This time of the year it goes non stop! Right now it’s busy making cherry fruit leather for my son.
    As for turning the our second half around, I introduce little bits at a time. Hubby is actually (amusingly enough) more convinced that zombies will come walking down our street one day than any sort of financial collapse (which I believe is looming), EMP attack or pandemic.
    I do not know about the glasstop stove bit. Hubby just gave me the thumbs up to buy my new toy! A solar oven! WOOHOO!

lorie

Your lucky! I want one! I also want a husband who doesn’t make me cringe every time the ups guy drives in the yard to drop off whatever I ordered. Yesterday it was bathtub bladders and I got yelled at… he just doesn’t get it. I ordered a bucket of dehydrated enteees for 120 days. I’m gonna try to tell him it’s dog shampoo for the groom shop if he doesn’t look too close…
    I love my dehydrater too:)

tamtbell
    Participant

Lorie,
    Well I’m a travel agent for the government who gets a prepaid card loaded when I’ve booked rentals for customers. I saved up with that and then told him last night that I had enough.
    We do a lot of camping, especially during the summer months so I convinced hubby this would be a cool thing to have when camping as I can bake bread in that and then cook the beans or rabbit dish in my dutch oven. 🙂
    Next toy to purchase is a solar charger that can be used to power smaller things or can even be used to power our camper. (making our camper a possible bug out location in the forest if need be)
    As for stocking up food, right now I’m convincing hubby that we need to stock up on things like tuna fish and canned meat anyways as that is where our shortage is.
    Since we preserve so much during the summer, veggies and fruits are never an issue. Now if we could just hunt we’d be good.

lorie

Your way ahead of me! I just started this 4 months ago because of a random conversation with someone who said she was stocking up on wine for the day when the SHTF. I thought, “a world without wine???????” That woke me right up…
    We also have a camper but since the poodle count went from 2 to 3, the third being an avid fan of hearing her own self bark, we didn’t go this year. I secretly know that we can use the camper to bug out but will not mention it until I can get him to wake up on the easier stuff.
    I think part of his truculance is that I make all the money here. There is no work for a house framer around here. I’m spending my money as I see fit and he doesn’t like it even tho he has free access to all of it.

Vina8

Tamtbell, regarding your question about canning on a glass top stove, I have done it many times with no problem. I think the earliest glass tops were not as sturdy and may have been a problem.

lorie

Thanks Vina, that was my question! Well, off to order a pressure cooker and piss of the hubby some more.

Floridaclipper
    Participant

Hi everyone 🙂

I have a glass stove too. I started waterbath canning this year and am doing it on a duel burner camp chef explorer camp stove. So far it’s working out well. The next step is a pressure canner so I did a little homework. I called the manufacturer of my stove to see if it would be ok. It’s about 9 years old. They said it’s fine as long as the bottom of the canner has a smooth surface. Some of them have circular ridges on the bottom of the pots. I’m waiting for a sale on the Presto pressure cooker (usually a door buster on black friday). It says it’s safe for glass top stoves. That model has a gasket that will eventually wear out. The dream is one by “American” . It’s made without a gasket and will last practically forever. That one says it isnt safe for glass top stoves so I’ll have to wait until I replace the stove.

Vina8

I have an All American pressure cooker and use it on my glass top stove with no problem. I agree that it is an advantage to have one that doesn’t need replacement parts such as gaskets. When the weather is hot I sometimes use it on a propane stove outside. It only works if it isn’t windy. If the wind blows the flame it is more difficult to hold the temperature constant which is critical when using a pressure cooker.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.