anyone make homemade laundry soap?

This topic contains 129 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  ReadyMom 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • Author

Labhrain

That is so sneaky!!! 😀 But a great idea. I have 2 bottles I can use. I’ll have to put the word out and see if I can get a few more.

One more question — I have a bottle of Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent. (The only reason I have that is my grandson was doing a science fair project on laundry detergents.) Is there any way I can use that as one of the ingredients in the recipe?

the dugger stuff makes 5 gallons.. We store it in a five gallon bucket with a lid and portion it out into a saved laundry soap bottle..Fill it half way with soap and half way with water and stir.. So really 5 gallons is 10 gallons eventually….

http://www.duggarfamily.com/content/duggar_recipes/30455/homemade_liquid_laundry_soap_front_or_top_load_machine_best_value

ReadyMom

In powder form, this will make a great barter item, as well. Folks would be desperate for cleaning supplies. Have the ingredients ready to make the powder, when needed. Put it in plastic zip baggies w/ the instructions on use.

I found the pink Zote bars for .99 cents at a local discount store. -k

IceFire

I found the Fels-Naptha soap at Wal-Mart for .97 cents. Of course, I still have about 15 bars of it on hand, and it will be a few months before I need to make up another batch. Making up the dry powder and portioning it out with instructrions for barter purposes is a GREAT idea!

wow great price Icefire!!!

kehoffmann1

I don’t know if others have this problem but 2 out of 3 of us in our household can’t use the homemade laundry soap if it has Borax in it. Make sure you test before you wash all your clothes and things in it. I used it and developed a rash all over. I thought I has some disease as it took about a week to really take effect. We washed our Golden Retrievers bed in it and in the middle of the night he came running to us all swollen up and hives so bad they were bleeding.

pachelabaro

To poor to buy the material…lol so will just beat the cloth between 2 rocks in the stream.

TheLight

I make the liquid laundry detergent variety and store it in a 5 gallon bucket which I wrote the recipe on the side of. It costs me around $15 to do a year’s worth of washing, and it doesn’t bother my fiancee’s skin (she needed to use the hypoallergenic/expensive stuff before). Great stuff!
    Next time I might try the powdered variety but, honestly, the goop is fun to make… 😀

Jleaja13

I have used the diy laundry detergent for about a year now. Granted my household is only two adults and two dogs, we have not had any allergic reactions or smells develop form long time use. It has saved me loads of money, and will continue to use it.

Recipe- items needed
    1- 5.5 oz fels naptha laundry bar soap
    1c washing soda
    1c 20 mule borax
    2-5 gallon buckets with lids.

I grate soap, dissolve on stove in water, low heat constant stir. Put 3 gallon of hot tap water in 5 gallon bucket. When soap is dissolved I add it to the 3 gallons of water, add 1 cup washing soda, 1cup Borax, stir. Add 2 gallons hot water. Let sit 24 hours.

Stir the bucket with a paint stirrer and cordless drill. After it forms a uniform liquid I pour half in another bucket. Then add warm tap water to both buckets till they are full. Stir both, fill laundry jugs and wait till its all gone. 🙂

Regards.

ReadyMom

** There is also a thread in the General Family Preparedness section:

Home & Family Preparedness › General Family Preparedness
    Laundry soap

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.