Anyone study?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    AlabamaPoleCat
    Participant

Does doing 12oz curls count?

frozenfox

@AlabamaPoleCat wrote:

Definitely, but only if you can direct me to the gun show at the same time 😀

TaffyJ
    Participant

My husband and my boys were doing quite nicely in Okinawan Shorin Ryu, but we left the dojo after three years. Life was just getting too complicated. I regret leaving, and as soon as my mother no longer needs constant care, and we have our own house again, I plan on getting everyone back in the dojo. We love our sensei, and the dojo was like family.

My husband is very good because he’s tall, fast, and has good reflexes. My oldest son has greatly benefitted from his time in the dojo because he had “adhd” (normal, active boy syndrome?), and the discipline at the dojo helped him sort of knit his mind and body together and not be so spastic and geeky. He is now quieter and more serious. My youngest two showed promise, but were simply too scatterbrained to take the opportunity to learn seriously.

I, myself, was not a student, but I have great respect for this art. I certainly felt/feel better in a parking lot, walking with 4 guys who know a thing or two!

Honestly, I was very reluctant to have my kids in karate. When I was growing up, the kids who showed off karate skills were always mean, threatening bullies. So, for a while, I had an impression that I never wanted my child to be like that. This particular style, and this particular sensei are very careful about teaching deadly skills, coupled with modesty, respect, and good judgement.

I hope life and the world gives us time and opportunity to study again!

thebastidge

I took an intro to Qi gong class, and have always been very interesting in that and Tai Chi Kuan. My brother has been a kung fu instructor for several years and we plan to train together when I am finally done with my crazy wandering for work.

But even with training, and my brother as a MA teacher agrees: “you can’t teach big.” In other terms, “quantity has a certain quality all of its own.”

It will always be difficult for a person of smaller stature to compete with a person of larger stature in empty-handed combat. It will always be difficult for a woman to compete with a man of the same size or larger. Some extraordinary women who train very hard can approach the upper body strength of a man, and many women have more endurance and arguably, more ability to endure certain types of pain. But nothing beats a huge rush of testosterone and adrenaline in a deadly situation.

A third aphorism to ponder: “God made mankind, Samuel Colt made them equal.”

If you find an NRA instructor near you, you can take a very reasonably priced introductory course for firearms: handgun, rifle, or shotgun, and after that, personal defense courses designed for inside or outside of the home. A good instructor will cover the ethics and legalities of the escalation of force continuum thoroughly. In addition, NRA instructors teach a course titled “Refuse to be a Victim.” which is not about firearms specifically, but more about situational awareness and the mindset to prevent yourself from being a target.

You can find these courses at http://www.nrainstructors.org. Full disclosure: I am one of those instructors. We do encourage you to become a member of the NRA- but we absolutely do not insist on it or badger you about it. I currently teach Pistol and Range Safety, and I will be starting my certification to teach the Refuse to be a Victim course in a couple days. After you take these basic courses, there are many avenues for further instruction beyond the basic from a variety of providers.

This is not to say that it isn’t worth studying traditional or modern martial arts. It definitely is because of the health benefit of the exercise, the possibility you will find yourself in a situation without access to assistance or a firearm, and because it helps with the physical toughness that complements your mental image of yourself as a person not to be eff’d with. Something is better than nothing, but consider that most of these discipline were developed when the most effective close range weapon was a sword and the average person didn’t have access to one. Everyone in the United States who hasn’t forfeited their right via a felony, has the right to obtain a firearm.

Willy Pete

@AlabamaPoleCat wrote:

I passed my 12oz curl belt test I’m on the 16oz trial run now.
    I trained with different combatives techniques and feel as long as I’m in decent shape I can hold my own. I would say my favorite training isnt a martial art at all, I get with a few friends that are also prior SRT, SWAT, or the like and do shoot don’t shoot, dynamic entry drills and set up shoot houses. I have been called to enough bar brawls, drunk and disorderlies and live entries to back up that old Sean Connery saying, “You can get further with a kind word and a gun, than with just a kind word”.

mrmnjewel

I am a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at a school affiliated with Pedro Sauer (who is an 8th degree black belt). The nice thing about BJJ is it works well in real world, close-in situations. I have also dabbled a bit in Hapkido, Wing Chun, JKD, and Krav Maga. BJJ is my go-to art, though.

Hillbluffer

Ah…great memories there. Was a Kempo stylist for many years when I lived in the southwest. Switched to tkd when I moved to the south. My instructor was killed in that plane the Russians shot down over the pacific . I believe it was flight 007. When my kids got old enough I enrolled us all in “American style” . Basically a sport style, lots of fun. Nowadays just to old I guess. Age does happen to all who live 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum