August 2018 – What Did You Do to Prepare This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion August 2018 – What Did You Do to Prepare This Week/Month?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  IceFire 45 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

IceFire

Starting the new month.

Weeded all around the area where the hops are planted and put down weed barrier fabric. Should help to reduce the weeding chores.

Cin
    Participant

Grocery shopping and yard sales today.

Yard sales:

3 pairs of pants for grand-niece – $3
    4 shirts for grand-niece – $1.75

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used
    Nails and other items to repair crown molding in kitchen

LTS:
    2 crates for more storage
    2 packages bacon ends to can
    Aspirin for LTS medical kit
    Mayonnaise

IceFire

Worked this weekend to salvage what we could of the greenhouse…had a microburst roll through Friday evening while hubs and I were out on “date night.” Came up the driveway to see the greenhouse was NOT where it was supposed to be, but was over the fence in daughter’s “dog yard”, mostly on its roof. We were able salvage the polycarbonate panels, but the metal frame (AND base) were nothing but a twisted wreck. We’ll re-use the panels to build a new greenhouse, using wood to frame.

Cin
    Participant

Oh, wow, Ice! Sorry to hear that. Do you have insurance? Perhaps they’ll cover some of the cost?

Cin
    Participant

De-cluttering and sewing in the sewing room:

De-cluttering (and being frugal):

Took a bunch of scraps of batting and zig-zag stitched them together to make a larger piece, which I then used as the middle layer on the sun/moon table runner.

Finished:

1 crayon tote (for the consignment shop)

Sewed together the back, batt, and binding on the sun/moon table runner.

IceFire

Finished the green 1880’s short-tailed bodice (with double-box pleats, no less)to go with the gold/burgundy/green plaid 1880’s skirt. Tomorrow will work on a small hat to go with the ensemble. Will be wearing the outfit on Saturday for an event in Tombstone (Doc Hollidays.)

Picked another 3/4 pound of green beans today and got them processed and in the freezer for future meals. While picking beans, noticed three good-sized “Moon and Stars” watermelons in the next bed over. When did THOSE get there? Knew the vines were there, but had NOT seen the melons previously, and here they are about ready to pick!

IceFire

Cin,

Unfortunately, the deductible on the insurance would be as much as the greenhouse cost originally (had gotten it for a REALLY good price with a coupon, well below the normal price.) At least we can re-use the panels to finish another one I had started, so not a total loss.

Cin
    Participant

I spent today cleaning the addition – decluttered and rearranged my sewing area completely to the other side of the room.

Put the computers along one wall with windows so we can look out.

The rest of the room is now empty, so that Husband can move whatever hobbies he wants into the space.

Also made a crock pot of beans, with chilies, cumin, onion, garlic, salt and pepper added. After 8 hours, I mashed them up into refried beans. Made 4 containers, popped them in the freezer for future quick burritos.

IceFire

Created an “under the stairs” doghouse, since the mutts seem to have an aversion to the dogloo, and were trying to pull the skirting off to get under the house. So, moved the back steps out (for access), cut and screwed in some 2×6 supports and cut and put down plywood “flooring” on top. Husband cut an entry in the side, then we screwed on a plywood back (previously, the back where it goes up against the house was open.) Still need to put a “wall” at the smaller end; and something on top, because water comes through the decking and step slats; then put wood trim around the “doorway” (so they don’t eat it.)

At least it gives them a shady spot when it’s hot out, and shelter from the weather…IF they’ll use it.

Cin
    Participant

Pieced together a table runner for the consignment shop, still need to quilt it.

Finished the upper quilting of the sun/moon table runner.

Husband hauled home the cement for his project. We’ll probably pour tomorrow if it doesn’t rain.

IceFire

Prepping for upcoming events. Finished the hat for my 1880’s ensemble…it is now complete. Made the Viking tunic for son-in-law’s brother for the wedding.

Still too wet to do the outside things. Farrier comes tomorrow to trim the horses’ hooves.

Cin
    Participant

Husband and I poured the concrete pad to hold water totes. He will be putting in pipes and faucets from our roof gutters to divert the water to the garden.

Picked up my order from walmart, a case of augason farms vegetable stew mix.

Walmart price for 6 cans – 76.99 and free shipping. Augason farms wanted 124.99. Saved 48.00. I order many augason farms products from walmart, alot cheaper.

Also received my silver order on Tuesday from ampex.

IceFire

Got the horses’ hooves trimmed. The one wasn’t too bad, (other than her acting lie a turd, that is) especially considering how long it’s been since their last hoof trim. The mustang, however, was another story. Apparently, mustangs have a MUCH thicker hoof wall than other breeds, so they don’t chip off and “self trim” like other breeds. Add to that, she was also acting like a turd, and when the farrier was working on her back feet, was practically SITTING on the poor guy. Their feet are in good shape, now, so that’s a plus.

Also harvested the majority of the spaghetti squash…my “new” (to me) GorillaCart is now FULL to overflowing with spaghetti squash. Also pulled the last of the old snow pea vines (they FINALLY gave up) and noticed some new ones growing now; and harvested another half pound of green beans. Would have been more, but there were a few beans that I want to get a bit bigger before I harvest them.

Went to the farmer’s market and got another quart of local raw honey (since I won’t be pulling any honey from my hive until next year, since they’re just trying to get established this year.)

Finally, dug my “Hot Shot” livestock zapper out of the closet…need to use it to fend off the buck goat…he’s in rut, and is being a complete arse lately. Has knocked me down and pushed me hard a few times already, so next time he tries it, he’s getting “zapped”.

Cin
    Participant

Grocery shopping and yard sales today.

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used

LTS:
    Jar lids
    Aspirin (restocking meds)

Yard sales:

Leather coat for husband – $10
    5 pairs leggings for grand-niece – $4.25
    1 shirt – $1
    1 dress for grandniece – 25 cents
    1 pair shoes for grandniece – 75 cents

Bought some 1/2 yards of several fabrics to finish some projects I have laying around.

Last night I tried a pentagon star ornament. Cut two pentagons from 2 fabrics, 1 pentagon from a fusible web. With right sides together, raw edges even, and fusible on wrong side of one fabric, sew around, leaving a hole to turn. Press hole closed with iron.Turn right side out, mark the middle of each pentagon side on the lighter fabric. Draw a line from point to point, which makes a smaller pentagon. Fold down on the lines. Stitch the edges down. Viola! A star in a pentagon. Glue or sew a ribbon to hang the ornament. You can download many sizes of pentagons from this website –
    http://www.timvandevall.com

Husband bought some of that flexible black edging to help divert rain around the new concrete pad/water harvesting system.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.