August 2018 – What Did You Do to Prepare This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion August 2018 – What Did You Do to Prepare This Week/Month?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Finished up another rain catchment system on my shed. Already have one on the garage and the house.

Ordered 2 rain barrels from walmart for $55.00 each, free shipping. Walmart gets their rain barrels from Emergency Essentials. I checked EE and their price is $99.00 for one, I used to deal with them, then I saw how much more expensive they are, plus their shipping charges, plus I had trouble a couple of years ago getting damaged items replaced.

IceFire

Husband did most of the “prep” work today…clearing land, removing some mesquite, and re-trenching our driveway stormwater runoff to the pond (or rather, what USED to be, and eventually will again be, the pond.)

IceFire

Harvested, prepped, and packaged for the freezer a bit over a pound of green beans. Also did a commissary run, and picked up more wide-mouth canning lids with rings, and 4 more boxes of wide-mouth lids.

dmwalsh568
    Participant

Received my latest batch of #10 cans, this time it was refried beans, tomato chunks, tomato powder and shredded mozzarella cheese. Also reorganized the storage area so keep things in date order, but allow somewhat easy access when I need to find something.
    For local shopping, just restocked some OTC meds that we had used up in the past month.
    Waiting for the fall sales on hand sanitizer and antibiotic creams/sprays. Also waiting for the temperatures to swing back to a more normal range so I can do some delayed yard work before it’s suddenly the fall rains switching over to early snow and ice storms…

Ordered and received 12 cans of vegetable stew mix (Augason Farms brand) from walmart, saved $8.17 per can compared to ordering from Augason Farms.

Ordered and received two more rain barrels from walmart also, alot cheaper then ordering them from emergency essentials plus the savings on shipping. All together I save around $200.00 by ordering through walmart.

IceFire

Finished daughter’s wedding dress this morning, so after a run to the farmer’s market, and the store for more screws, finally got back to work on the chicken coops. Got some more done on the upper part of the storage cabinet, and got the back panels cut for the nest boxes. Also got the back end panel on…the other end panel will go on after I’ve finished with the rest of the interior work.

IceFire

Bought and hauled in 8 bales of hay for the cow and goats. Even got it stacked 3 and 2 bales high by myself. Should be enough hay to last them for a month.

Baugo
    Participant

Seems like this is a busy time of year for everybody! This week we harvested the garden and sprayed for mosquitoes. Picked up a new fireplace insert for the back half of the house…installation starts next week.
    Cleaned out the workshop to make room for this winter’s projects.
    Going to take a little break today and hike a trail we’ve never been on and put some of our evac gear to a test.

Cin
    Participant

Yesterday was grocery shopping and yard sales.

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used
    Metal bowl for the feral cat that’s been visiting, it’s been hanging out in the Sanctuary, where the mice are, so I’m hoping it’s mousing. But I’ll feed it a little, for now…:)

LTS:
    Restocked some regular mouth lids for future canning
    4 cans of Bush’s baked beans

Yard sales:
    An old fashioned large metal drip percolator – $4
    Some plastic alphabet toys and a basket for grand-niece – 75 cents
    Zip up sweater for me – $1

Husband got the 2nd water tote. He wrapped both totes in black plastic to cut down on UV light that might cause algae to grow. The totes are now sitting on the newly poured concrete pad. Husband had to order some parts because we couldn’t find them locally, so he’s waiting on the connectors before he can get the system running.

I pieced a wall hanging of a Christmas tree, meant to put it in the consignment shop, but one of the kids claimed it. Still have to quilt it, but it won’t take me long.

IceFire

Produce distribution today. Got home and processed for freezer 4 gallon Ziploc freezer bags of tomatoes, 1 gallon bag of eggplant, 6 quart bags of yellow squash, 8 quart bags of honeydew, and 10 quart bags of mango. Still have 4 butternut squash (they’ll be turned into butternut squash soup) and 10 spaghetti squash to process.

Also did a lot of cleanup around the property…still much more to do, but it’s coming along. got the bed of the pickup filled for a dump run, but they were closed when we got there, so will have to go first thing Monday morning.

Cin
    Participant

Husband has been working on the rain harvesting system most of the day. He is putting in the pipes, faucets, diverters, flanges, and stuff like that. I don’t know what all of it is called. 🙂

I quilted the Christmas wall-hanging. Just needs a sleeve on the back to hang it with.

Also…I realized the sheer volume of sewing stuff is stressing me out. I have been de-cluttering it for years, making lots of presents for people, using scraps to make quilts and other things. I’ve given away a lot of fabric I knew I’d never use, despite feeling guilty because people gave it to me and I thought I had to make things. But still, I just have too much. I decided today to change my thinking, and get rid of stuff I don’t want, once and for all.

My niece has been coveting some of my stuff for years, she is a beginner seamstress, and is excited to learn more. However, she doesn’t have the money to invest in fabric, tools, and other sewing supplies. So…I emailed her and asked if she wanted some scraps and other stuff. She said YES! I packed 1/3 of the sewing room materials for her, including a lot of yardage of different, fun fabrics so she can make clothes for the grandniece.

The relief is indescribable. I now have only the projects I want to finish, and the materials needed to finish them. I do have a few bolts of my favorite fabrics and some denims that I will use to make utility quilts.

Once I finish the projects, I plan to downsize the storage spaces, too. The various baskets and bins will be used for other purposes, or I’ll sell them on the local Facebook Marketplace.

I DO plan to keep practical fabric on hand – camo, canvas, denim, broadcloth, and jersey. Maybe a few cotton quilting fabrics for when I feel creative. But the room looks very minimalist now and I love it.

Cin
    Participant

In my quest to de-clutter the sewing room, I found the pile of mending. I’ve been mending everything, and even re-fashioning some items for other purposes. I am of the philosophy of…

Use it up
    Wear it out
    Make it do
    Or do without

I will now be able to use part of this room for other preps.

Cin
    Participant

Grocery shopping and yard sales:

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used

LTS:

Footlocker for some preps

Yard sales:

4 dresses for grand-niece (GN) – $5.50
    1 pair snow boots for GN – $4.00
    4 shirts for GN – $2.00
    5 pairs leggings for GN – $2.50
    4 pairs of shorts for GN – $2
    1 jean jacket for GN – $4
    1 pullover jacket for GN – 50 cents
    1 pair pajamas – 50 cents

In the course of cleaning up my sewing room, I found paperwork I need to file, so I am doing a sweep of the house to make sure all my paperwork is in order for bank accounts, taxes, and all the details. I generally keep track of all that better, but somehow the last few months have been busy and I didn’t do it as well as I should have. Hence the big cleanup! 🙁

IceFire

Sorry for my absence last week. Between it being the last week of wedding preps, son-in-law’s aunt having a stroke and us spending a LOT of time at the hospital (which put a major crimp in the wedding preps), and having out of town/state guests staying, about the ONLY thing that got done was several dump runs (need to do another today to get rid of the trash left as a result of the wedding) and harvesting/freezing green beans.

Cin
    Participant

Ice – sorry you had to deal with all that in the midst of the wedding! I hope it went off well.

Husband finished the first water harvesting system. It’s pretty spiffy, now we’re just waiting until it rains to see how it works! We’ll be installing another one at the other downspout once we see how this one works.

I’m still working on the sewing room, I’ve decided to use large zipper bags to put each project into with all the fabric required to complete them. That way I’m not looking for all the material when the time comes to finish.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum