AUGUST 2019 – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion AUGUST 2019 – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  IceFire 10 hours, 28 minutes ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Cin
    Participant

Started the new thread.

Yard sales were not good this week.

Grocery shopping:
    Restocked what we used
    2 totes for reorganizing the garage
    2 jugs of vinegar

We are still cleaning out the garage. Some of the stuff has been packed for over 16 years, we know from the dates on the unopened boxes. Yikes! Anyway, a lot has been thrown away – Husband is on the 6th truckload, I think! The three Ms got to it – mold, mildew, and mice. But frankly, if we didn’t need it for 16 years…we didn’t need it. This excludes the stuff we DO use that is packed in the garage, like our camping equipment.

Most of the mice evidence we’ve found is very old because we got cats 4 years after we moved here and I suspect they did their jobs. Still, I will be re-organizing the garage and re-packing some things, so I will put peppermint oil soaked cotton balls in certain boxes, just as a backup.

Found a large stash of photos and was able to re-store them in plastic photo boxes that I’d bought ages ago for this purpose. While they are organized in the photo boxes, they are not organized by dates, so I will be spending my evenings putting them all in order.

IceFire

Brought in another 8 bales of hay after church today (3 for the boy goats, and 5 for the girl goats and cows), then did a commissary run. Used 1 gallon of the 4 gallons of goat milk I had in the refrigerator and made mozzarella. Will have to make more tomorrow (and Tuesday, and Wednesday…)

Cin
    Participant

Still working on the garage. I dumped a lot of old paperwork today. I’ve realized for a while we’ve not needed a lot of this stuff, and have been trying to get to this tasking of cleaning the garage for a few years. Finally decided to just buckle down and git ‘r done. We’re on Day 10, but I expect to be done by mid next week.

Husband took the now empty space at the back and built a workbench with a good light. He nailed peg board to the back to hang some stuff. Now he has space for all his tools. He will also now have room for the drill press. He’s moved the bench grinder and circular saw to their new homes. We still haven’t quite figured out where the table saw will go, maybe the middle of the floor!

One of the hard things to part with was all the books. Most were damaged by mice. There was no salvaging them. I WAS able to rescue a few, but I’m not sure if they will be cleaned enough to keep. They really stink of mildew. May just let them go too, and buy new copies. I think most are still in print. The good news is, most of the good books were in the house, including our prepper library.

Cin
    Participant

Friday was grocery shopping and yard sale day.

No yard sales today.

Grocery shopping:
    Restocked what we used
    2 pairs of cargo shorts for Husband
    2 crates to store things under workbench in the garage
    A Sawyer mini-filter
    2 boxes of zipper bags for storage of stuff found in garage
    Boxes to mail stuff to family members that was found in garage

While we are still working on the garage, the clean-out part is mostly done. Now we are cleaning up, organizing tools, and setting up areas where we will store non-food preps.

We are also deciding what will be stored in new plastic footlockers, and re-packing it properly (the kids’ toys they want to keep, some plaques from Husband’s military years, some sentimental artwork/school papers of the kids). These things will not be re-stored in the garage, even though they suffered no mice damage.

IceFire

Hauled in more hay for the goats, oats for the horses, and poultry feed. Made 2 batches of mozzarella this weekend. Also bought a new faucet for the kitchen sink (the old one didn’t come up high enough, and popped off several times when I was trying to get it over the top of a water pitcher or taller pot.) The new faucet is one of those high rise ones, with the attached sprayer. It also came with a soap dispenser. I installed them today.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum