Bartering

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  TRex2 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

lbgreen

My family and I have been looking at things that would be useful for trade or bartering in case the stuff hits the fan. I looked at lots of things but one thing stuck out in my mind the most. I don’t know if you guys know what a fire steel is, but it is a metal rod and scraper that can be used to start a fire if you don’t have matches or another source for starting fires. It makes a spark and will start a fire really easy… So.. In regards to our bartering system… We bought several of these to use for trade items. Everyone will need to be able to start a fire and most people don’t realize what these fire steels are… We thought it would make a great item to add to our prepper stock to trade or barter with people for other items… Everyone will need to start a fire. Just an idea I thought I might pass on.. Bartering will certainly exist eventually! Hope this helps someone in the bartering area! Have a blessed day! 😀

Ann28816

Would you stock up on liquor to barter? 😕

chevyguy

If “it” happens on a large or small scale and your area is affected do you have any plans to barter for needed goods or services? I know we would all love to have everything we need and could want but that simply isn’t possible for the majority of us.

Do you have a plan to barter for those items should it prove necessary? As part of your own preps have you put back items that others will find desirable? Items like

shoelaces
    matches
    salt
    first aid supplies
    hygiene supplies
    spare hardware (o-rings, nuts, bolts, screws, nails, etc)
    ammunition
    liquor

The last two I deliberately saved for last because I have very (!!!) mixed feelings about bartering away either of those two. There are security concerns for both to be sure! Also what is the best way to conduct trades without compromising your own security and as a result people find out more about what you have than you’d like.

lovie_5

I have started to gather some supplies for bartering. But I am wondering just how y”all plan to go about it. I mean you wouldn’t want to display a lot of extra goods to folks who might not have as much. And do you plan on a designated area to barter in?

Carborendum

I was unable to find a thread about barterable skills. I’ve only found a couple of posts that even mention it. So, here is the chance to put it all in one place.

We have the basics of gardening, cooking, animal care/husbandry, and wilderness survival skills. But to me, these are skills that everyone should have just as common knowledge, not barterable skills. Since we’re talking about skill sets after a major event with prolonged repercussions we can even go into things that you may have skills in, but not necessarily “blessed” by the government (i.e. licensed).

For the most part, the things that come to mind are manufacturing and repair.
    Blacksmith, tinsmith, tanning and leatherworking…
    Carpenter, electrician, plumber, mechanic…

What else can you think of?

Hangnail

There are so many potential items to barter when we actually face the big crisis, it is mind boggling. One thing I have never heard mentioned though is the bicycle. I believe they will once again become a primary mode of trans once the avail fuel is gone. They should probably sell at the silver standard by then. I recommend you pick up a few at the Goodwill or other thrift store and maybe some tubes/tires at Wallys’ s World when they hit the clearance isle.

cladano

My wife is pregnant and somehow we got on a list and a couple formula manufacturers shipped us cans of formula. We don’t plan on using formula so I gave the first box away. Then we received another box from a different manufacturer. My first thought was to give it away too, but then I thought “Why not store it, in a SHTF scenario this could make a great barter item.”

Good or Bad idea??

It seems to me that once the store shelves are clear, formula would be GREATLY sought out for. I believe all of you can go to the formula’s websites and sign up with them and they will ship small amounts of their products to you for FREE!! This would be an easy, free prep.

Thoughts?

JimPI

Surfing the web, you can find hundreds of lists of items people suggest setting aside for possible use in barter transactions after a collapse. Obviously, this isn’t a topic that falls into the localized disaster discussions but is reserved for those who are preparing for potentially long-term scenarios, situations where current forms of currency will likely be worthless.

The idea is to have a stash of goodies you can use to trade for things you may need. This isn’t a bad idea, provided you use common sense. Rather than recite just one more list of possible barter items, instead here are my three rules for choosing which items may work best for you.

First, the items must have inherent value to you. What I mean is, don’t stockpile stuff you will probably never use yourself. There is a strong possibility you may never have the opportunity or need to use your chosen wampum for trade. Focus on items that you would have a use for anyway.

Next, the items must be relatively shelf-stable. Disregard any items that are even somewhat perishable and concentrate on the ones that will last a long time. Unless you have a very reliable offgrid means of ensuring stable temperatures, avoid anything that will go bad in high heat or humidity.

Finally, items must be relatively inexpensive today. It makes very little sense to spend thousands of dollars on barter goods. Further, many of the things that are likely to have the most value after a collapse are pretty darn cheap today. For example, you can buy a 25lb bag of table salt at Costco for under five bucks. After a collapse, salt will probably be well sought after, for a variety of reasons.

Note, though, that this doesn’t mean the items you choose should necessarily be cheap, just that you shouldn’t pay a ton of money for them. If you see a set of decent quality hand tools at a rummage sale and you can get them for just a few bucks, snap them up! They’ll probably fetch a good price later. If you never have to use them as barter, you’ll at least have extras in case one of your tools breaks or gets lost.

The idea behind stocking up on barter items is to provide you with a way to make “purchases” when currency is worthless. By following the above three very simple rules, you can avoid spending money needlessly. I fully realize some of you may not be planning to barter for anything. Others may be planning to avoid any and all contact with any other human beings for as long as possible after a collapse. Obviously, the above post wasn’t written for you folks 😉

davidintexas

JimPI’s thread ( Three Rules for Choosing Barter Items viewtopic.php?f=119&t=47183 ) Got me curious as to what everyone is stocking to use as barter Items. And I didn’t want to hijack his thread so I started this one

I’ve mentioned a few In my reply in the other thread but a brief list of items is as follows

1. alcohol, I have the little airplane bottles, 1/2 pints and pints for barter broke down in three groups , top shelf , mid , and cheap stuff.
    2. Seeds
    3. toilet paper ,
    4. soap
    5. shampoo
    6. floss
    7. toothbrushes
    8 tooth paste
    9. tampons/pads
    10. OTC monistat
    11. multi vitamins
    12. pens/pencils
    13.paper
    14. antibiotics
    15. basic first aid supplies
    16. motor oil, trans fluid, brake fluid
    17. work gloves
    18. shoelaces
    19. super glue
    20 duct tape
    21. matches
    22. lighters
    23. candles

I left off Gold and silver but do plan on using it as a barter Item but not till I have too and food I will try to make a last resort trade Item as well.
    I plan on adding lamp oil, wicks to the barter list but need to build my personal stock up more of those two items. I was also think while reading some online stuff on bartering, and some Items i’ve overlooked are, fish hooks, line, sinkers. rope and wire.
    There are also things I will never barter to a stranger they are Weapons, ammo.

Looking forward to your lists and input.

davidintexas

Bartering is a big interest of mine I do it currently with my welding and handyman skills. 75% of the time I come out way on top , 20% I get what i would make hourly cash, then there is that 5% where I take a lose.

So the point of this is to get others input on what they think items would be worth. do you think there will be some type of a set standard or some huge price gouging , Have you sat down and thought about what you would ask for your barter items. I do.

I know a lot of people will say ” Its worth what ever someone is willing to pay” and that may be true with some items , this is where I get into that 5% because I really want what they have and don’t want to pay the xxxx amount in cash so i trade xxxxx labor to get it.

what would a roll of toilet paper be worth to you if you didn’t have any for 2 weeks …
    A bar of soap when you ran out a week ago….
    A pint of Kentucky Deluxe…..
    a tube of hydrocortisone cream for that rash you had for days now….

ReadyMom

MERGED posts, today

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  ReadyMom.

TRex2
    Participant

I know a lot of people will say ” Its worth what ever someone is willing to pay” and that may be true with some items , this is where I get into that 5% because I really want what they have and don’t want to pay the xxxx amount in cash so i trade xxxxx labor to get it.

what would a roll of toilet paper be worth to you if you didn’t have any for 2 weeks …
    A bar of soap when you ran out a week ago….
    A pint of Kentucky Deluxe…..
    a tube of hydrocortisone cream for that rash you had for days now….

“worth whatever people will pay”
    This is the exception now,
    but will be “the rule” after shtf.

The question is, how to figure out now,
    what people will need then.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum