Books

This topic contains 35 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  whitebear54 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Foxfire books is that they are fascinating history of what people have done, living without modern conviences, but they are very short on details of HOW to do things. Carla Emerory’s book is not like that, it is a guide you can follow. John Seymour wrote a bunch of books, and some are very practical. In his later years, he got very political, so look for older books, or reprints of older books. He raised both animals and gardens, and covers putting up food in some of his books too. Also http://www.seedforsecurity.com has some great stuff for gardening.

kymber

here is a link to some really excellent, downloadable, FREE e-books on just about everything:

http://snardfarker.ning.com/profiles/blogs/survival-books-free-downloads” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Enjoy!

Fox fire books are hard to find and expensive when you find them.. I have read several, but there are a bunch I haven’t read yet..

islp55

There are to date (I think) 12 FF books. The first 5 are the best. I will not buy anymore since I have the first 5. Just check them out and read. Books a million has most of them in stock. I like ol’ timers stories.

What are the titles of Carla Emerory’s books.

mtgrandma1

A great book to give you a good sense of a shtf disaster is, “One Second After” by William Forstchen. It is about the aftermath of an EMP, but gives a great understanding of what to expect.

autumnwear

thanks for all the great ideas. i also got a great book a while back off ebay for a few bux called “Back to Basics, A Complete Guide To Traditional Skills” by Abigail R. Gehring
    tells how to dig wells,make soaps the old way,etc. very handy book to have on hand.

Phelan

I had a long talk with Don Delong (Carla Emery’s Widower) There is some issues with the sales of her books. If you are to buy it, please buy it through the family site.

http://www.carlaemery.com/country-living-book.htm” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

D_Loki
    Participant

If anyone is interested, I have the first 6 Foxfire books in PDF format. Drop me a note and I can send them off to you. One of these days I will Catalog my e-book collection for I have near 25,000 fiction and non-fiction books on an external HD a Back up HD, and 3 continuous back ups on DVD-ROM. If there is a subject or a particular book you are searching for I can check if I have it.

ChiliLily

Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles is a little more extreme than I want to think of myself being, but it definitely gives a good idea of what can happen and what one might need to be prepared for.

Marica

Not to disparage *new* books, but I have always found that *old* books are the most valuable. Next time you are at a junk/thrift/antique store, check out the books with an eye toward “is there any information I need to learn in this book?”

D_Loki
    Participant

For those who don’t mind not having hard copy. E-books in PDF, TXT, DOC, and various electronic reader formats are available online for free. The Gutenberg Project has a great collection of old out of print books but the site is a bit cumbersome to navigate and search. By utilizing a newsreader and Usenet newsgroups 1,000s of books can be had for the taking. My favorite book harvesting group is ALT.BINARIES.E-BOOK.TECHNICAL Make sure to use one of the free newsreader out there. MS Outlook Express “works”, but is not very good for decoding or managing your groups. Try NewsRover, Forte’ Agent, or one of the many others. I have gather 10s of thousands for my own personal library of fiction, non-fiction, textbooks, and how-to books over the years. If there is something you’re looking for and can’t find let me know and I can see if I can help.

kymber

this is awesome guys – thanks so much!

idahobob

@chililily wrote:

Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles is a little more extreme than I want to think of myself being, but it definitely gives a good idea of what can happen and what one might need to be prepared for.

It gives a basic idea of what might happen when TSHTF. There are a lot of good ideas that people might want to integrate into their TEOTWAWKI plans.

His new book, “How To Survive The End Of The World As We Know It”, IMHO is a fizzle.

Bob
    III

kymber

i almost forgot about this…way back in March of last year…one of the APN members, Trick James, got a copy of Rawles’ Patriots and said that he would send it on to the first person who asked. i, of course, jumped on the offer like a squirrel on a nut. Trick James sent me the book with a promise that i would forward it along. he also signed it so i did the same before sending it along. anyway…we set up a thread at the old forum and the book was forwarded on to several people. here is the thread for you all to read:

http://americanpreppersnetwork.iboards.us/viewtopic.php?t=53&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

in continuing —- the last person to get the book in their hands was our dear boss Tom!!! and he’s had it forever!!! so Tom – HURRY UP AND FINISH THE BOOK and send it along! it’s a fun thing to do and can be our little piece of network history!

edea1976

I have read “When All Hell Breaks Loose” by Cody Lundin several times. its a great book with a lot of information.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum