Books

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    toma_riddles

Anyone read apocalyptic Sci-fi out there? Like say for instance Alas, Babylon by Paul Frank or Dr. Bloodmoney by Phillip K. Dick etc?

Danny62

Don’t forget the library when looking for books. Can read and take back and then look to buy.
    I like to read and watch stories on the end! Had apocalypse man on History Channel to night was good he said some thing I had forgoten about and did not even know.
    He went into the ciy after, he was the only person, no bad guys. One of the places he went to was the library looking for maps for everthing, hospital to check on the generator and get it running to use. Don’t know about some of it but for the most part was good.
    Danny62

Phelan

toma_riddles, I do. A friend of mine died and left me all 600+ of his sci-fi collection. I am a book freak. 😀 He has a ot of the end times sci fi, most of it is pretty good.

IceFire

Not end-times sci-fi, but more of a post-SHTF fiction series that I REALLY like is the “Ashes” series by WIlliam Johnstone. The first book is “Out of the Ashes”. The main character, Ben Raines, pulls together a group of like-minded individuals, and they go about rebuilding society and their lives. (and also get back to the “political roots” our country was founded on. The series is a good read.

toma_riddles

@Phelan wrote:

toma_riddles, I do. A friend of mine died and left me all 600+ of his sci-fi collection. I am a book freak. 😀 He has a ot of the end times sci fi, most of it is pretty good.

Phelan, what a legacy your friend left you!

I am a book freak as well, but I lean very heavily towards Sci-Fi. There is so much in Sci-Fi that is the creation of survivalist character. Many of the characters in SF have this innate sense of how to prep and you just see it everywhere.

I was just thinking about William Gibson’s “Count Zero” the other night and how the main character experiences a completely self-sufficient building that grows it’s own food via hydroponics through the ceilings and the walls. I think the creators of that building were William Gibson’s idea of preppers.

It’s great to meet another prepper fiction fan!

toma_riddles

@IceFire wrote:

Not end-times sci-fi, but more of a post-SHTF fiction series that I REALLY like is the “Ashes” series by WIlliam Johnstone. The first book is “Out of the Ashes”. The main character, Ben Raines, pulls together a group of like-minded individuals, and they go about rebuilding society and their lives. (and also get back to the “political roots” our country was founded on. The series is a good read.

Uh oh, IceFire, it looks like I’m making a trip to the bookstore tomorrow night. That looks like my kind of book bigtime!

If you’re into American political roots pick up “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress” by Robert Heinlein. Basically he takes the ideas of the American Revolutionary War and creates this story about a lunar colony that wants to break free of Earth. It’s such a great guideline to revolution with an awesome supercomputer named “Mike” in it. I think you might like it. It’s a fun read.

Phelan

@toma_riddles wrote:

@IceFire wrote:

“The Moon is a Harsh Mistress” by Robert Heinlein. Basically he takes the ideas of the American Revolutionary War and creates this story about a lunar colony that wants to break free of Earth. It’s such a great guideline to revolution with an awesome supercomputer named “Mike” in it. I think you might like it. It’s a fun read.

I love that book! I have a bunch of Heinlein.

toma_riddles

I only have “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress” and “For Us, The Living” by him.

“The Moon is a Harsh Mistress” is just absolutely one of my favorite books though. I’ve bought it 3 times already because I lent it to people and they wanted to keep it they liked it so much. So, I said O.K. $8.00 and then took that money to go out and buy a new copy.

I’m such a huge Phillip K. Dick fan, though. “Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep?” got me hooked on him and now I have almost all of his books.

IceFire

@toma_riddles wrote:

If you’re into American political roots pick up “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress” by Robert Heinlein. Basically he takes the ideas of the American Revolutionary War and creates this story about a lunar colony that wants to break free of Earth. It’s such a great guideline to revolution with an awesome supercomputer named “Mike” in it. I think you might like it. It’s a fun read.

I think I may have read that book back in High School–had an elective English class that was all based on science fiction….we read Asimov, Heinlein, and a few others. Will have to pick up a copy and re-read it.

Empress

Question for you all:
    if you are getting all these great books in PDF format or some such, how do you access them for use? Do you print it all out? or just read on screen? if on screen, then what happens if TSHTF and you can’t access them?
    Just wondering, sounds like a TON of printing to me, then how to store? binders?

Trying desperately to collect all the vital info that I can, ready to get to work in the morning.
    thanks,

Phelan

I rarely do PDF’s and the ones I do read, I tend to cut and paste the info I most need before printing (sorry, but it makes my life easier) I purchase books and the thrifts stores or second hand stores.

mmpaints
    Participant

I tend to read other types of books such as The Art of War and I love a good cookbook. I figure post shtf, a cookbook is gonna do me way more good than anything else.

papaswamp

My favorite books in no particular order:
    The Modern Homestead Manual – Focuses on getting off ‘the grid’
    Making the Best of Basics – Good book focuses on food/dietary needs. Great check lists in back
    The Sense of Survival – Little bit of everything…. very general
    Putting Food By- food preservation and storage
    FoxFire Series- How things were done way back when.
    The New complete book of Self Sufficiency- Very Farm oriented…some very neat techniques though
    Botany in a Day- great way to learn plant ID (edible)
    Stalking the Wild Asparagus (Also The Healthful Herbs and Blue Eyed Scallop by the same author)- how to collect/id wild foods
    The Foragers Harvest- more edible plants
    Nuclear War Survival Skills- sort of the original ‘bible’ of survival. Written back when the US and USSR loved to wave nukes at each other…it still has great advice.

Rod

@Phelan wrote:

@toma_riddles wrote:

@IceFire wrote:

“The Moon is a Harsh Mistress” by Robert Heinlein. Basically he takes the ideas of the American Revolutionary War and creates this story about a lunar colony that wants to break free of Earth. It’s such a great guideline to revolution with an awesome supercomputer named “Mike” in it. I think you might like it. It’s a fun read.

I love that book! I have a bunch of Heinlein.

If you like Heinlein look for TUNNEL IN THE SKY. This is his survival story and he makes a couple of very good points in it.

D_Loki
    Participant

If anyone has “Microsoft Reader” on their computer and would like some fiction to read, let me know and I can tell you what I have. I have fiction in plain text (TXT kind of hard to read), Microsoft Reader (LIT), and Palm Reader (PDB). Both the MS Reader and Palm Reader are free to use downloads. If you’re interested let me know. As for the Heinlein conversation, I have 87 Heinlein books in LIT format. If you are looking for a particular author let me know that as well as there are 107 different authors or series that I have.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum