Burial/Cache ideas

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TRex2 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

PREPPEDVET
    Participant

Looking for some ideas to bury some caches around my property. Right now, is as off grid as one can get, no government water/electric. No structures currently. Freeze/thaw line is about 26 inches deep. With all this in mind, I’m needing a way to keep the items from freezing or getting too hot in this upper midwest environment. One idea is 5 gallon buckets, buried 3 feet deep. But I worry about the buckets themselves surviving the ground force being buried that deep. Another idea is to sink a concrete culvert pipe into the ground, insulate inside and outside of it, put everything in and seal it tight. Thoughts?

Art Underground
    Participant

One idea is to first dig a large hole. the size will depend on how much you want to bury in that location.
    Pour a concrete floor about 6 inches thick then water seal it.
    Build a form for your walls. Before pouring the concrete into the wall form pour in enough rubber sealant to give about 1/2 inch deep of rubberized material. Allow the rubber to dry only enough to still be very tacky to the touch (do not allow to dry completely or you will not get a good seal).
    When the rubber has dried only enough to still be a little tacky to the touch, pour your concrete into the form. Be sure to water seal all around your walls as well. If done correctly your floor and walls will keep out any water from rain and such as that.
    while the concrete cures you will want to build a form for your top cover. Be sure to water seal this top cover just as you did the floor and walls. This concrete top cover should be slightly bigger than the wall form. I would recommend that the top cover overlap the walls at least 8 – 12 inches on each side. If your structure is 5′ x 5′ then I would make the top cover 7′ x 7′. Keep in mind that if your structure is larger than 5′ x 5′ I would recommend a center pillar to help support the weight of the concrete top cover.
    When all the concrete on your structure and your top cover has completely cured pour enough rubber on the top of the walls to create at least 1/2 deep of rubber on the top of the walls. Again allow this rubber to dry only until it is slightly tacky to the touch as you did between the floor and walls.
    When the rubber has dried only enough to still be a little tacky to the touch, place the top cover on top of your walls and be sure to center it correctly so that you have between 8 – 12 inches overlapping each side of the structure.
    Fill in around the walls and then bury the cover.
    You have now created a solid water tight structure which should keep your cache safe and secure until needed.
    Just remember that once you break the seal on this cache you can not reseal it unless you re-rubberize the walls again. the only problem is that when you break the seal on the top you may also break the seal on the floor so you may not be able to use this again for anything except maybe water catch.
    I have been learning and training to prep for many years and now I have land that I can take all I have learned and put to use.

TRex2
    Participant

For freeze thaw protection, you need to go deeper than the deepest freeze the area has had on record. The required depth may be as much as 4 feet in some areas. One way to reduce the needed depth is to place a sheet of Styrofoam (generally sandwiched between two sheets of plywood over the top of the cache. Then, instead of measuring straight down for your required depth, you measure down, and around the insulation, then to the container. If the container is substantial in size (like 5ft cube, not a bucket) you can just insulate the container, itself.

While Art Underground’s description sounds like overkill, it might not be. Depends on how long you want the cache to be safe, and from what. A five gallon bucket won’t last very long.

There is an adage that amateurs talk tactics,
    professionals study logistics.
    And they usually discuss truckloads of supplies.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.