buying a rifle in ohio from a noobies perspective

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Mikeylikes

Hello everyone from Mikeylikes. :wave:

Some of you may have read my post on the Appleseed shoots.
    A quick history about my experience with arms: I grew up in rural NW Ohio. My father owned (owns) several guns of various types. I never had much hands on time with handguns. I’d say i have shot under 100 rounds of ammo through different handguns in my life. The two weapons i did get lots of experience with were my fathers 12 gauge shotgun, both shot and slugs with a slug barrel deer hunting and an antique .22 caliber pump action tube fed rim fire rifle handed down from my grandfather. The .22 was old even back then but shoots true to this day and boy is it fun! As an adult I earned expert marksmen on a few different weapons in the Army, such as the M16, M203, 50 cal, and even thrown hand grenades LOL.
    So here i am now at 39 years old and have not shot a weapon for over 15 years, nor did i own a weapon…until today.

Wanting to take my children to the Appleseed shoot and teach them firearms use and safety overall I decided to buy a .22 rim fire.
    Having never purchased a gun before i did quite a bit of reading first. I looked at dozens upon dozens of rifles online and then searched through forums for opinions on Ohio gun shops. Then i set aside a budget of $300 this month to purchase a rifle. Even after reading through Ohio’s gun laws and researching guns and shops I was still a little intimidated.

Today was the date I had planned to go buy or at least learn about buying a rifle from a gun shop.
    Here’s what i ended up doing.
    I drove to Vance’s on the east side of Columbus Ohio. link here: http://vanceoutdoors.com/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;
    Not a bad drive for me, at just over an hour.
    Walking in was surprising as i intentionally went on a weekday early in the day, and still found the place to be absolutely packed elbow to elbow with people!
    “alright” I am thinking. “this is good because any business that has this many customers must run a fair and well respected business.” Still, it can be frustrating to not be able to walk right up to a counter and get help in a short amount of time. This store uses a take a number system so I grabbed a number and started browsing the narrow walkways through shelves of equipment and looking at the racks of long guns behind the glass display cases filled with handguns. Not an easy thing to do with so many people!
    Eventually my number was called (i did not time the wait but it was under 30 minutes) and at that point i had the full one on one attention of the nice sales associate. I went over my needs and desires with what caliber and type of weapon and my proposed price range which i stated as “around 200 dollars”. I quickly handled about a dozen different rifles he offered based on my desires. I spent about another ten minutes waffling over my choices and then finally I decided on a Ruger 10/22 cheapie they had on sale, new in the box. It does not meet all of my desires but from my new found prepper perspective, I knew i was going to walk away with SOME kind of weapon as soon as possible.

After choosing a rifle and letting the sales guy know, he pulled out the 4473 form and went over how to fill it out with me. This is pretty straight forward and not intimidating. I had one problem with this process as i live at an address that is different from the one on my drivers license. This little hitch cost me an extra $5.00 by purchasing a “one day state shooting range pass” but gave me the ability to walk out of the shop today, with my purchases.
    I had the sales guy explain it to me but I am still a little confused on this part of the process. Essentially the older “Brady Act” was replaced by the FBI’s NICS (National instant check system) which is a large computer system that checks your info against a databank of known persons that are disqualified from buying a weapon. I am no expert on gun laws at either the federal or state levels. I do know now that in Ohio there is no “five day waiting period”.

So in the end I walked out of a gun shop in a little over an hour with 3 items. A Ruger 10/22, A cleaning kit for it, and a brick (500 rounds) of ammo.
    What did i learn? It is easier and less intimidating than I expected. What else did I learn? It could have been even easier!

Knowing EXACTLY what you are going to purchase would be the easiest thing. Simply call shops for pricing and availability and go purchase. If your like me though and have very little experience AND have the need to handle weapons to help make a decision I would suggest going to the closest gun store available that has a couple or more guns of the type you are looking to buy: simply to handle the weapons to help with decision making, NOT to purchase. (unless they happen to have just what you are looking for at a great sale price!)

Taking an avid gun enthusiast might have also proved useful.
    Knowing what brand of gun i was buying would have let me research the best ammunition options beforehand.
    stepping into a gun shop close to home as I mentioned earlier would have made today’s trip less intimidating. (which as stated was much easier then my expectations of the trip)
    Don’t forget to take your weapon out of the packaging and inspect before you buy.

Overall this was a good experience and will make it that much easier to purchase long guns in the future. The only thing I needed was my drivers license and the money. I am looking forward to gathering more guns, supplies, etc..

Prepping takes many forms and means different things to different people. Guns are tools and the different types have different uses. As a prepper i am breathing a HUGE sigh of relief today. I have a long long ways to go in preparedness for my own and my family’s needs but, I can now shoot wild rabbits that hop through my yard by the dozens in a worst case scenario. I can protect myself and family from hordes of unarmed desperate people in a bad bug out situation or win a knife or club fight. (a .22 has very little “stopping” power and is certainly not the best form of defense but bullets > melee weapons imho) :gunshooting: :surrender:

This post is my start at an effort to give the Ohio forums some extra steam. I plan to post more about my experiences and knowledge with weapons,going to a shooting range in ohio, the Appleseed shoot, Medical prepping related info applicable to Ohio, (I am an ER nurse) etc. etc…
    So how about you guys? Any good advice for noob gun buyers/shooters like me? There is lots of info available out there but lets bring some Ohio specific info into here!
    Go buckeyes! Mikey

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum