Canning Butter

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    juju_mommy

I watched a You Tube video a while back about canning butter (it was a young girl doing it). I’d never heard of that before! LOL. She pretty much did the same method that you describe.

Ok. I looked it up and it’s still there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmmyS7z1UNI” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

All I have is a water bath canner (no pressure cooker yet)… so this sounds like a good little project that I can try without all the fancy equipment. I have the jars already…

One question… not much canning experience yet. But I thought I’d read that you don’t boil the lids, just the rings. Is this correct? Does it matter? I’d like the advice of all you experienced canners. LOL.

I’m so glad I found this forum! Already learning so much and being very inspired!

IceFire

No, you need to do the lids…this will both sterilize the lids, and soften up the rubber on the seal area, so that it will adhere properly and give you a good seal. I don’t boil them, though…I put them in a pan, and boil the water in my teakettle, then pour the boiling water over them.

mmpaints
    Participant

I don’t water bath my canned butter at all. I heat the jars in the oven, the lids and rings on the stove, heat the butter on the stove, pour in and when they ping, I start shaking to keep it mixed until it sets.

PrepperMom

OHHHH TY so much. 😀

kymber

this is a great thread guys and gals. i keep finding blogs and other links about people canning butter. always wanted to try but was just a little too shy. now it think it might be time to run with it. sure do wish i had fresh-churned butter tho!

IceFire

Something I’ve been wanting to try, as well…hmmmm….got several pounds of butter in the freezer, no one home but me and the dogs and cats…might be a good time to try it…if I get ambitious, maybe I’ll even go pull up those ginormous turnips while the snow is temporarily gone, and can those, as well.

ReadyMom

Found this via ‘Survival Moms’ website (which I am devouring as fast as I can!):

To Bottle or Not To Bottle Butter
    http://www.preparednesspro.com/blog/to-bottle-or-not-to-bottle-butter/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

By Kellene Bishop

June 12, 2007. That was a day I experienced a moment of euphoria as a concern of mine had just been satisfied completely. That was the day I discovered you could bottle butter. It was a very, very happy day for me, until I began doing research on it. There were an abundance of comments surfacing on the internet stating that bottling butter simply wasn’t safe because it was “impossible” to get rid of any botulism. My joy was squashed. But after speaking to many lifetime emergency preparedness folks who swore that bottling butter was just fine, I decided to do more research on the matter. The good news is I’ve decided to fully embrace bottling butter. The thought of butter on my homemade wheat bread, even in the midst of a crisis, is just too enticing to pass up. So here’s how I’ve come up with my rationale for bottling butter in spite of what some information on the internet has said. (Continued at link, above) ….

mmpaints
    Participant

Oh Yah, I like Kellene’s site a bunch, she and I think along the same lines!

ReadyMom

I found a REALLY GREAT blog site, the past couple of days (thanks to Wolf’s list) and have been copying and pasting Intros and links to so much information, like crazy over to my EHP site. The topic of canning butter was addressed. Thought I’d share:

Adventures in Self Reliance

Bottled Butter
    http://selfrelianceadventures.blogspot.com/2008/11/bottled-butter.html

Also see Bottled Butter Part 2 here. (http://selfrelianceadventures.blogspot.com/2009/02/bottled-butter-part-2.html )

Update 11/24: word from our local extension agent that bottling butter is not safe due to it not getting hot enough to kill botulism . . . guess I won’t be doing more unless I figure out another way to do it or find out otherwise. We got the instructions to do it from a food storage book, so just figured it had been checked out. — continued at link, above —

===========================
    Bottled Butter Part 2
    http://selfrelianceadventures.blogspot.com/2009/02/bottled-butter-part-2.html

In case any of you missed my first experience bottling butter, check it out here before reading the rest of this post. I’ll wait . . .

Okay, back now? So the two main problems with bottling butter were 1-not high enough temperature to kill botulism spores, and 2-jar lids did not seal completely even though they “popped” down.

-snip-

So there you have it. I’m not in any real hurry to bottle more butter (I usually just keep a bunch in the freezer), but if I wanted to, I would feel pretty safe using the pressure canning method. But just in case you die from botulism tainted bottled butter, I didn’t recommend it. 😉 — Full article at link, above —

mmpaints
    Participant

ya know, the whole “botulism” line is a bunch of crap. You know that right? Raw milk does not come out of the cow with botulism nor does it just grow in the butter unless you put it there with poor handling. Keep your kitchen and hands clean, sterilize your jars and you’ll be just fine. the whole “you can’t do it at home as safe as some factory spewing bacteria” is a load of crap.

ReadyMom

@mmpaints wrote:

ya know, the whole “botulism” line is a bunch of crap. You know that right? Raw milk does not come out of the cow with botulism nor does it just grow in the butter unless you put it there with poor handling. Keep your kitchen and hands clean, sterilize your jars and you’ll be just fine. the whole “you can’t do it at home as safe as some factory spewing bacteria” is a load of crap.

LOL! Don’t hold back ‘mm’. 😀 Best thing is to let folks know both sides and they can make their own educated decision. What would be bad, is telling people to go ahead and do it and then they come back to this forum sayin’ that they got food poisoning from butter they canned because they read how to do it here. THAT wouldn’t be good. Nope, not good at all :shakeno: .

mmpaints
    Participant

LOL RM, you mean like the reason there’s a warning on the plastic bag that says “dont put this on your head or you’ll suffocate”?

ROFL, you know me, i ain’t got time for the politically correct stuff. I just call it like I see it. Some folks don’t like that but the truth always hurts.

Velocity

I think this looks awesome to try, my husband thinks it looks gross, but I bet if that’s all we had to butter our bread with he’d gladly eat it.

RightWingMom

Ventured into canning butter last month. I canned 5 lbs. It’s stashed next to my other jars. Haven’t tried it yet…very tempted to open one! :whistling:
    Canned cheese too: mild cheddar and mozzarella.

If it sits still long enough, it MAY end up in a Mason jar! :rofl:

Anonymous

@rightwingmom wrote:

Ventured into canning butter last month. I canned 5 lbs. It’s stashed next to my other jars. Haven’t tried it yet…very tempted to open one! :whistling:
    Canned cheese too: mild cheddar and mozzarella.

If it sits still long enough, it MAY end up in a Mason jar! :rofl:

If nothing else you’ll have clarified butter, which is great for cooking due to its higher smoke and burn point from having the milk solids cooked out….

You have me curious now… Lets us know.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • The topic ‘Canning Butter’ is closed to new replies.
American Preppers Network Forum