Canning Butter

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Vina8

Sitting out on the table and going rancid is one thing–it won’t kill you. Botulism will only happen in an environment with no air–such as when you can something. We bought some commercially produced canned butter and dried butter for storage (not a lot because of $), but I will not can butter because of the potential for botulism. It isn’t worth the risk.

mmpaints
    Participant

A temperature of 241F (pressure canning) prevents botulism and heating anything to 1sixty5F ( six button is broken) kills the spores of Clostridium botulinum. Home-canned foods should be boiled for 10 minutes before eating; this will destroy the botulism toxin.

Anonymous

Even pressure canning butter is not reccommended….

To start:
    http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2009/05/ … ge-recipes

You will find the following on Everyday Food Storage,

“The Utah State Extension service also agrees, saying…
    “What NOT to Store…Home Canned Butter, especially unsalted, canned butter. (Why – unsalted canned butter has NO protection from botulism, slated, home canned butter has no science-based process to can safely)”

“Cautions Issued for specific foods, Butter — For now, canning butter using any method is not recommended. Some methods are dangerous at best; others are not backed by science.”

Anonymous

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#33

When it comes to safety please do NOT continue to bump down the information that covers the links with the safety information…
    This is a serious food safety issue.
    Once again when it comes to food safety and a WSHTF situation or whatever may happen that you need to use your food storage I would hate to see someone make family deathly ill with a neurotoxic food poisoning when there is very limited on no medical care available..

Anonymous

@mmpaints wrote:

A temperature of 241F (pressure canning) prevents botulism and heating anything to 1sixty5F ( six button is broken) kills the spores of Clostridium botulinum. Home-canned foods should be boiled for 10 minutes before eating; this will destroy the botulism toxin.

Pressure canned foods should be boiled for at least 20 minutes as recommended by the USDA and multiple university and county extensions across the US.

mmpaints
    Participant

yah, and if YOU think the USDA is GOD, don’t do any home canning at all. For sure you need to jump on the bandwagon for S-510 too because people are just too stupid to feed themselves. Yes, i am being sarcastic and yes, I am disgusted. How do you think our ancestors managed to survive to procreate and give us all the future generations to now? Do you think they all died from home canning? My Grandmother never pressure canned a single damn thing from her garden, not even tomatoes. I ate them as did my entire family. Apparently we lived thru it. I don’t boil my pressure canned foods for 20 minutes, it turns them to mush, apparently I am not dead. What makes some can of crap produced in some factory somewhere by minimum wage workers who probably don’t even speak english, better than what you can do for yourself at home?

NOW, if you don’t think this is safe for you, DONT DO IT. Quit beating a dead horse already. There’s apparently thousands of websites out there, all run by some sort of governmental agency telling us how unsafe home canning is. Decide for yourself. Use you own brain.

ReadyMom

@mmpaints wrote:

-snip-

NOW, if you don’t think this is safe for you, DONT DO IT. Quit beating a dead horse already. There’s apparently thousands of websites out there, all run by some sort of governmental agency telling us how unsafe home canning is. Decide for yourself. Use you own brain.

Well … aahh… uh … I guess that says it all ……. :bored: -k

mmpaints
    Participant

ROFL

watcher
    Participant

Read through the sites, not recommended/endorsed because of lack of data/testing is not the same as dangerous/will make you sick/kill you. Botulism organisms are killed 250F so pressure canning will sterilze both the can and the contents. Two ways exist to remove the water, either boiling off or using a fat seperator. For piece of mind I would use the pressure canner and process at the meat timimg. Yes this is a risk as the testing for safety is not done but that is understood. The not recommended/no testing is also given for other dairy products and for thickeners/fillers (flours in gravies and breadcrumbs for meatloaf in a can, I use oatmeal for mine). Again understood, do at your own risk. There are also recommendations against the quick bread baked in a jar as testing has been done and has found that Bot organisms can survive that. It has been years since I read on a Bot case from home canning but several per year on contamination of store bought foods with recalls.
    Have I canned butter yet, no, will I in the immediate future, yes.

Personally I wont add anything to this on the subject of canning. Canning is not my forte, my wife does all the canning.

What I will add though, is there is enough information here for someone to make up their own minds. Can butter if you will or if you wont, thats your own personal decision. Mmpaints has given enough information on how to do it safely at home and I agree with her in the fact that I don’t trust nanny.gov for anything, if they were a business they would all have been in jail a long time ago.

For those that choose to can butter that is your decision, but APN will not be held responsible for your actions, mistakes, screwups and failure to do something safely regarding what you learn on this site.

As for myself, I’m going to have my wife learn to can butter, but thats me, my wife, and our decision

This is our Disclaimer for people who are idiots: http://americanpreppersnetwork.net/page.php?p=terms-of-use&sid=e40b213a0cb7a16c69e6f41727513ed3

Pay specific attention to these parts:

Blog/Forum Content. All information and data on these blogs/forums is intended as informational and entertainment purposes only and in no way should be considered to be expert or professional advice of any kind. These are opinions and should be treated as such. You are solely responsible for the use or misuse of any information contained on these sites. We make no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of information on these sites and the We will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from it’s display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. Although we work closely together and share common goals, American Preppers Network Authors and Forum Moderators are volunteers, and are not employees. Also, there are other independent authors and commenters who sometimes contribute to the American Preppers Network Blogs/Forums. Any disputes with issues of copyright infringement, faulty information etc… should be directed to the original author. We will not accept liability from postings of Authors, guest authors, forum members, or commenters. If you are an Author and find any violations of copyright through any cross-postings, please contact the administrators and your article will be removed immediately at your request.

No Warranty or Condition; Links. Neither American Preppers Network, its Authors, nor its Moderators make ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. If you choose to access these Blogs/Forums, you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK. To the extent links and external content are based on or displayed in connection with these Blogs/Forums, AMERICAN PREPPERS NETWORK SHALL NOT HAVE ANY LIABILITY IN CONNECTION WITH THE DISPLAY OF SUCH LINKS AND SEARCH RESULTS, whether this external content is breaking the law in this or other jurisdictions. YOU AGREE TO USE THESE BLOGS/FORUMS AT YOUR OWN RISK, and that You will not consider the Blog’s/Forums content to be a suitable substitute for professional advice.

Limitations of Liability. IN NO EVENT SHALL AMERICAN PREPPERS NETWORK, BE LIABLE UNDER THIS AGREEMENT FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES. Each party acknowledges that the other party has entered into this Agreement relying on the limitations of liability stated herein and that those limitations are an essential part of the Agreement. Without limiting the foregoing, American preppers network, shall not have any liability for any failure or delay resulting from any condition beyond the reasonable control of the Author, including but not limited to governmental action, labor conditions, power failures, natural and/or man-made disasters. American Preppers Network is not liable for the content of any comments the Commenter or forum members might leave on these blogs/forums (see Comment policy).

Obligation to Indemnify. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold American Preppers Network, the Authors, its agents, and applicable third parties (collectively “Indemnified Person(s)“) harmless from and against any and all third party claims, liability, loss, and expense (including damage awards, settlement amounts, and reasonable legal fees, brought against any Indemnified Person(s), arising out of, related to or which may arise from Your use of the Blog and/or Your breach of any term of this Agreement.

NOTE from ReadyMom: This thread was locked by NIP, but I have merged the following new posts over here, to keep continuity. The thread remains locked. -k
    =================================================

I’m not really concerned about botulism (25 food cases reported US wide on average) but to be on the safe side I’d like to pressure can. Somebody posted about pressure canning on another site I was on but didn’t give any specifics. I’ve googled and can’t find any directions just mentions of it.

I realize that this can be a sensitive subject but please don’t just hit me with the “don’t do it” sites. I’ve done my research and am interested in this method.

Thanks.

TtnTransplant
    Participant

There’s a thread in this forum about canning butter.

And welcome to APN!

ReadyMom

@TtnTransplant wrote:

There’s a thread in this forum about canning butter.

And welcome to APN!

It’s here: Pressure Canning Butter

HouseKeeping! I’m going to move the first post (by dressagerider95) over to that thread. -k

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • The topic ‘Canning Butter’ is closed to new replies.
American Preppers Network Forum