Chickens Quit Laying

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  IceFire 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

farmwrite
    Participant

Anybody ever have a problem with their chickens randomly no longer laying? They’re only a year old, so it’s making no sense to me. They quit well before it got cold.

IceFire

Its not the cold that makes them quit laying, it’s the shorter amount of daylight (that’s why a lot of commercial producers keep the lights on in the chicken houses/coops to keep them laying. It DOES shorten their number of productive years.

The other thing that causes them to quit laying is when they are molting. They drop feathers, and their body energies are going into re-growing feathers rather than laying eggs. Feeding a higher protein feed helps somewhat with this.

Of course, shorter daylight hours and molting tend to intersect which means they aren’t laying at all. Right now, I’m getting a better rate of lay from my two duck hens (one a day each) than from my chickens (0-6 eggs per day from 18 hens.)

farmwrite
    Participant

They probably quit about two months ago though. I’ve heard of others having hens that refused to lay in the summer time for whatever reason, and I’m wondering if mine are the same thing.

IceFire

How hot did it get? High temperatures can affect their laying. Also, anything that upsets them (changes in their environment, feed, harassment by predators (including domestic dogs and cats), etc. will also make them quit laying. And, if any of them goes “broody”, wanting to sit on the nest and try to hatch eggs, she will stop laying and focus on trying to hatch out chicks.

One thing about chickens. They can definitely be temperamental.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.