Complacency check: Lock your car doors

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Survival Urban/Suburban Survival Complacency check: Lock your car doors

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  old_code 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

AuntBee

When I lived in cities, I always always always locked my car door the second I got in the car. Since I moved to a suburban area, I got careless. The electronic lock system automatically locks the door once you start moving above 5 mph (I think), which doesn’t do you any good if you’re still in the parking space. Today I had a near brush with a car jacker. A man in his 30s, I’m guessing, opened my door and tried to yank me out of the car. He might have succeeded if I hadn’t already buckled up. I have a lifehammer gadget, which was enough to get him to let go. And I am fortunate that another man chased him off.

So, even in a small suburb, in an open parking lot, in broad daylight, lock yer doors the minute you get in your vehicle. This experience really rattled me. I don’t know if this was a case of someone who was desperate and angry, or a drug addict, but the point is it seems like you can’t take your safe neighborhood for granted any more.

Aunt Bee

old_code
    Participant

Glad that this didn’t become more of a situation for you; that would be an incident to certainly stick in your mind.

Locking your car doors, immediately is a great idea, regardless of how mundane the parking lot may look.

Years ago, when carjacking was a really big thing in So. Cal., we also learned not to stop too closely to the car in front of us, especially on freeway ramps. Seemed that that location was a favorite for quick armed robberies to occur, where you’re locked up in bumper-to-bumper traffic, unaware.

At least you, might, be able to pull out of the lane to evade the robbery.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.