CT Preppers needed

Welcome to APN! Forums Start Here Meetups & Events CT Preppers needed

This topic contains 50 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  cityhomesteader 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Hi all,
    Just looking for others from my home state of CONN-fussion that would like to get together and share knowledge etc..

Uvajed

Perhaps Joe would join… 😆

Heck I have been trying to find folks that live around my neck of the woods, that are wackoes that really are doing this stuff. I joined a few lists, but all I ever got responses from were Love lorn women folks looking for a hubby. I got a wife thanks (c:

Just hoping to learn some things and maybe even help someone learn more woodscraft and wildcrafting..

kymber

this is a great idea for a post cityhomesteader! several of the other moderators at the APN have been successful in establishing meet-ups and groups. this will be a great place to try and find more CT Preppers….don’t forget to put a post up on the CT State blog on the APN as well!

Good luck CT!

Yeah I have to figure this new forum thing out.. Totally foreign format to anything I have used before.
    Come Spring Time I would like to host a CT get together whether a real live one or a chat room one.. We need to find out what everyone is into what their strengths and weaknesses are so we no where we can begin.. BTW I’m Bruce Smitty Smith

Cash Only

I may be interested Smitty … not sure yet. It’s nothing against anyone here personally, it’s just the simple fact that I’m an extremely private person, and anonymity (on most forums) is critical imho. Let’s see what develops.

kymber

Cash Only – we can all relate to that sentiment!!! However, it is our hope here to be able to provide a place for people to share information, get to know each other, and hopefully find like-minded others in their state/province that they can eventually have meet-ups and maybe even form groups.

i am glad that you “popped your head out of the bunker” to respond to cityhomesteader here…our goals for this forum are already happening right before our eyes. Thanks for coming out Cash Only!

HI Cashonly,
    Yeah I had that happen.. Mostly it was the women showing up in my garden to talk gardening and the wife threatening to kill me if I kept that up LOL!!
    I can see her point. Hear I was thinking innocently that all they wanted to do was talk gardening. (c:
    She pointed out if that was the case they should bring their husbands along too.. (c:

This year I will be leading several low level Wild flower hikes at Sleeping Giant State Park in Hamden.. Maybe that would be a good place to meet-up with people around so as to get to know each other? If any one is interested let me know and I will post the dates of the hikes..They are free..

Tom

New to this forum. Living in SE CONN, and preparing like crazy!

Hey Tom,
    Welcome.. I’m in SE CT too.. Can’t say I’m preparing like crazy.. learning like crazy.. Will be growing, canning, foraging, fishing, smoking fish, etc like crazy this 2010.. What are you preparing?

Tom

cityhomesteader,

been watching a lot of Beck, listening and paying attention to him and others. I believe we are in for some serious, serious conditions in the next 12-18 months. I’m gathering materials and equipment to take care of my family in case the balloon goes up, so they say.

For example, the govt controls the airwaves. Like in WWII, a good quality short wave radio will let one listen on what is happening in other parts of the world. I’ve neven eaten venison in my life; I live in close proximity to Pachaug State Forest and have to contend with the pesky critters almost every day. I may learn to love venison. A number of my froends are planning on starting gardens this coming summer. I’ve started to stockpile canned goods; every time we go to BJ’s, we pick up a couple cases of canned vegetables and/or meat.

Then there’s the problem of ammunition. Every time we go to Walmart, I check the sporting goods counter. If 12 ga shells are available, I buy. Usually though, 00 buckshot and slugs aren’t available. The sales clerks tell me that they sell out within 24 hrs of getting a shipment. Apparently, there are others who feel the same way.

Tom

Uvajed

@cityhomesteader wrote:

Hi all,
    Just looking for others from my home state of CONN-fussion that would like to get together and share knowledge etc..

Chris Dodd is leaving, good news for your state! Got a good prepper ready to fill his shoes?

Uvajed

@tom wrote:

cityhomesteader,

been watching a lot of Beck, listening and paying attention to him and others. I believe we are in for some serious, serious conditions in the next 12-18 months. I’m gathering materials and equipment to take care of my family in case the balloon goes up, so they say.

For example, the govt controls the airwaves. Like in WWII, a good quality short wave radio will let one listen on what is happening in other parts of the world. I’ve neven eaten venison in my life; I live in close proximity to Pachaug State Forest and have to contend with the pesky critters almost every day. I may learn to love venison. A number of my froends are planning on starting gardens this coming summer. I’ve started to stockpile canned goods; every time we go to BJ’s, we pick up a couple cases of canned vegetables and/or meat.

Then there’s the problem of ammunition. Every time we go to Walmart, I check the sporting goods counter. If 12 ga shells are available, I buy. Usually though, 00 buckshot and slugs aren’t available. The sales clerks tell me that they sell out within 24 hrs of getting a shipment. Apparently, there are others who feel the same way.

Tom

Your ammo concern is real. Keep your eye open, buy it when you can. Don’t limit yourself to walmart, check out your local ‘farm’ stores. Also, consider getting a 22 rifle, not deadly, but it can bring down game, and the ammo is plentiful. Plus, you can defend yourself if your aim is true. And as a bonus, it doesn’t look like an “evil black semi-automatic weapon”.

Tom

Never thought about farm stores. I’ll have to give it a try.

Picked up a 22 survival rifle month before last. Breaks down and every thing (action, clip and barrel) fits into the stock. One of my 1911’s has a conversion kit for .22, so I’ve stocked up on that caliber. Picked up a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch in .223 last month. That’ll take down a deer, also protect the homestead.

So much to do, and I feel, so little time.

Tom

Yeah they will probably run right over me.. Kiss my behind gone because I will never own a gun. Personal.. Had a brother took his own life with one. Wife is anti-gun in the house. Have a sun who is depressed all the time who doesn’t need a gun in the house, if you get my drift. He is the one I will be taking into the woods this summer to teach him and a friend or 2 how to forage for tucker. Make a shelter, and maybe start a fire with flint and steel.
    Can’t seem to find any flint around here may wind up buying some.. Never learned how to make a fire with a bow and drill, would love to be shown how though.
    I’m also interested in learning to make cordage. There are a LOT of fiber plants and barks around that I know can be turned into cord, but I never learned the method. With cord you can set snares for small game if push comes to shove. Hopefully push won’t come and shove will back off..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum