Dehydrating

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    GertyGoose

I agree if you have to buy the spuds you have spent to much! I bought a 10# bag this last weekend and they cost almost 5 bucks!!! OH its gonna get bad I think! I did go on to watch the videos on you tube and made lots of notes…

Blessings
    Gerty

Vina8

Since there seems to be renewed interest in dehydrating, I have posted some pictures and basic information about dehydrating on my blog. http://ncpreppers.com/ I learned a lot of what I know about dehydrating from folks on this forum and will always be grateful to them. In fact, if you go to the start of this thread, you will find some of my posts prior to me even purchasing my Excalibur.

koeelvry
    Participant

I have had some 2 to 3 inch long peppers in a Nesco dehydrator for about 24hrs now and they’re only just starting to show signs of drying. Do I need to do something to them first? My wife wants them dehydrated whole so she can string them. Do I need to pierce them or something or does it just take 2 or 3 days to deyhdrate them?
    Jim

Vina8

@koeelvry wrote:

I have had some 2 to 3 inch long peppers in a Nesco dehydrator for about 24hrs now and they’re only just starting to show signs of drying. Do I need to do something to them first? My wife wants them dehydrated whole so she can string them. Do I need to pierce them or something or does it just take 2 or 3 days to deyhdrate them?
    Jim

Your problem is trying to dry them whole. The tough skin makes it difficult for them to dry. We slice our peppers. I have a post about them on my blog: http://ncpreppers.com/2011/09/01/preserving-chili-peppers/

koeelvry
    Participant

So I guess that if I want them dried whole so I can string them, I’ll just have to run the dehydrator a long time?

Vina8

I predict it will take a few days. You could also try stringing the peppers and let them dry naturally like they do in Mexico and Southwest. I’m sure you can find directions on the internet.

bsnid

I dehydrated frozen corn the other day. Then i cooked the corn in boiling water and tried it. It was really chewy, so im wonder could that be cause from over dehydrating?

Vina8

@bsnid wrote:

I dehydrated frozen corn the other day. Then i cooked the corn in boiling water and tried it. It was really chewy, so im wonder could that be cause from over dehydrating?

I have also dried some frozen corn, but haven’t tried cooking it yet. Now you have me curious. I will try rehydrating it in hot water for awhile before I cook it–kind of like soaking dried beans. If nothing else, I will use it in vegetable soup I make in the crock pot.

Tinga
    Participant

Same here. The frozen corn needs ALOT of boiling to make it not chewy. The fresh corn needed less, but was still chewy..

bsnid

tried it again, soaked in water over night and boiled it alot longer. It wasnt too bad tasted like can corn, just add a little butter and salt. not as good as frozen but i think we could diff. eat it with a meal.

bsnid

tried rehydrating and boiling peas, but didnt soak those over night. they were horrible, might try soaking them overnight this time.

lisawv

dehydrated some eggs this past weekend, followed the directions to the letter but they smelled bad. to be on the save side i threw them away. next time i will process them like i do my hamburger rocks. if they turn out i will let you know. and if you have any good recipes i’d love to have them

GertyGoose

Howdy all on my 3rd round of apples. 1/2 dressed 1/2 naked ( dressed cinnamon & sugar, naked plain) , dried 5 lb of potatos, 16 lb oranges, 12 lemons 16 limes.. whew almost done with that .. at least till I go to the store again HAHAAH Thinkin I may do some grapefruit, I did pineapple early in the fall found them at Aldi for .99 apiece! I have made my own soup mixes with drying veggies now just to fine some over the top seasonings… Any Ideas?

Blessings
    Dry -On
    Gert 🙂

Alaska Rose
    Participant

I’m just using a aluminum foil lined sheet pan on a rack over my heater to dry veggies on. Since it is minus 25 degrees F at the moment and hasn’t been above that for a few days and supposed to get down to minus 56 degrees in town byu next week, I think I will have the wood heater going pretty good for enough time to dry all the older canned veggies i want to get out of my pantry.

craftyone

Dang Alaska, here I am whining because it got down to 14 degrees last night! 😀 I have to say, I really really admire your lifestyle and your skills. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum