Dehydrating

This topic contains 236 replies, has 69 voices, and was last updated by  watcher 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 237 total)
  • Author

contrarian

@alaska Rose wrote:

I think I will have the wood heater going pretty good for enough time to dry all the older canned veggies i want to get out of my pantry.

You’re drying veggies that were canned? I’m confused but open to learning something. If they are in one long term storage means, why switch?

sbsion

right now, the best thing we can do is get a six months supply of useit now, and rotate until December 21

Alaska Rose

@contrarian wrote:

@alaska Rose wrote:

I think I will have the wood heater going pretty good for enough time to dry all the older canned veggies i want to get out of my pantry.

You’re drying veggies that were canned? I’m confused but open to learning something. If they are in one long term storage means, why switch?

I’m drying canned that I have had over 10 years. I would rather dry them while they are still edible, then let them get so old in the cans that all I can taste is the can. This way they take up less room and will keep indefinitely and can be added to soup or stew at any time.

contrarian

Thanks. Makes sense. I was thinking canned in jars.

pelenaka

Got a call from gf who was @ Aldis Ocean Spray Cranberries discounted down to 25ยข per bag. Had her get me 14 bags. Dehydrating them both on my old Rhonco dehydrator & my huge cast iron skillet which is on a 6″ high trivet on the wood stove.

Shelli

pelenaka, when you dehydrate them, can you make them taste like “craisins?” I have never tried dehydrating cranberries, but I love craisins ๐Ÿ™‚

Alaska Rose

I think the craisins are dipped in a corn syrup solution partway through drying to make them sweeter, not sure on the exact process.

IronDawg
    Participant

Y’all are truly amazing!

So I read this thread Friday (yes all of it). I was inspired to at least study the feasibility of incorporating dehydrating into my preps. I bought a cheap one (Oyster $40.00 @ WalMart) and have already started. If I can fit it into my daily schedule, I’ll upgrade to a couple of nicer models.

I just want to thank all of you that have made this one one of the most useful threads on these boards.

Thank you.

pelenaka

@shelli wrote:

pelenaka, when you dehydrate them, can you make them taste like “craisins?” I have never tried dehydrating cranberries, but I love craisins ๐Ÿ™‚

ah no :floppytongue: I’m laughing because hubby wanted to know the same thing.
    As Alaska Rose wrote something that a huge no no for us diabetics is involved with turning the cranberries into crasins. If you had a source of inexpensive honey or maple syrup maybe (diabetes wasn’t an issue) I bet you could come up with something.
    We even discussed making juice with them since I have a steam juicer but I really don’t want to ingest the huge amounts of splenda it take to make the juice drinkable nor do I have that much Stevia on hand.

For now the dehydrated cranberries with be used in bread or I might try grinding & using in a chicken/pork marinade. I splurge every once in a while & marinate pork in apple cider that we pressed a few years back (canned in mason jars). Add garlic & fennel seed splash of oive oil.

Shygirl

CORN NUTS – – –
    I wanna know how to make this with fresh corn. Seems to me you should be able to make them sweet with a little sugar, spice them up, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to add this to my storage. . . . a crunchy good snack for adults and kids.

AuntB
    Participant

@irondawg wrote:

Y’all are truly amazing!

So I read this thread Friday (yes all of it). I was inspired to at least study the feasibility of incorporating dehydrating into my preps. I bought a cheap one (Oyster $40.00 @ WalMart) and have already started. If I can fit it into my daily schedule, I’ll upgrade to a couple of nicer models.

I just want to thank all of you that have made this one one of the most useful threads on these boards.

Thank you.

I am curious how the dehydrator from Wal-mart worked. I bought a used one from Goodwill for $5. My fruit leather never dried. I took that dehydrator back to Goodwill and am looking for a reasonably priced dehydrator for beginners. I have also been thinking about building solar one but we have a dirt road and I am concerned about dust on my food.

ReadyMom

@alaska Rose wrote:

@contrarian wrote:

@alaska Rose wrote:

I’m drying canned that I have had over 10 years. I would rather dry them while they are still edible, then let them get so old in the cans that all I can taste is the can. This way they take up less room and will keep indefinitely and can be added to soup or stew at any time.

How do you keep them indefinitely? Do you store them w/ oxy absorbers? In canning jars? In buckets? I am putting my dehydrated veggies (getting frozen and dehydrating those) in 5 gallon buckets w/ oxy absorbers) -k

anita
    Participant

@alaska Rose wrote:

@contrarian wrote:

@alaska Rose wrote:

I don’t think there’s much nutritional value left in canned foods after 10 years, and dehydrating will probably deplete it further. Canning, freezing, and dehydrating all reduce the nutritional content compared to fresh. The nutritional content continues to decline the longer it sits.

If the cans are not bulging and the food looks okay, it probably won’t make you sick, but that doesn’t mean that it will keep you healthy.

OK new prepper here! I just bought a Nesco round dehydrator. I have 4 bags of cranberries frozen in the freezer. I want to dry them. What should I do? Blanch them? Use some lemon? I have never dehydrated anything before. Help me please. I have looked at videos on youtube, but nothing about cranberries. Thanks, Julie

Oh and how do you store the dryed veggies or fruit? Do you use a food sealer or can you actually use canning procedures?

mombear
    Participant

can’t help you on the cranberries, but yes once it is dry you can put them in quart jars and vacuum pack them with the food saver attachment. I then store it in a cool, dark place.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 237 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum