Dehydrating

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    Tinga
    Participant

It can all seem overwhelming at first. I store most of what I dehydrate in 1/2 gallon jars. When I have that filled, I will Mylar bag them. I’ve got some sweet potatoes in now that just smell awesome. Takes some willpower not to stop and snack on them.

Can anyone give me feedback about the cost of home dehydrating verses purchasing freeze dried fruits and veggies?

I’m not storing for the apocalypse. In our house things like strawberrys an blueberrys go bad before we can finish/use them, and the freeze dried, and I’m guessing dehydrated, would be much better to keep around. And obviously buying in season and dehydrating would make it cheaper, but I’m not opposed to buying it if its just as cheap.

$20 for 34 servings of feeze dried strawberries doesn’t seem to expensive when you consider what strawberries run.

Comments?

Tinga
    Participant

I like dehydrating just because you don’t NEED purchase anything to dehydrate. The initial start-up to dehydrate might be a little $$ ( if you go with an Excalibur, which seems to be the gold standard of dehydrators…I have one and LOVE it)

That being said, I never BUY stuff specifically to dehydrate unless it’s more expensive to buy freeze dried. I think it comes down to time and $$$. Potatoes are a PAIN to dehydrate. Gotta blanch them and all that. They are one of those things unless I got a smoking deal on potatoes and lots of time…. I’d just buy the frozen ones and save myself a few hours

xtron
    Participant

potatoes at 30 cents a pound are a real deal right now…15 pounds for $5.00
    the quickest way to dehydrate them is to peel them, use the food processer to thin slice them…..nice uniforn thickness that way..and quick…
    then soak them in water and lemon juice…1 cup lemon juice per 1/2 gallon water…for about an hour…this keeps them white..it does something to the iron…then fill the dehydrator and dry…the rest..freeze and dry at your convience.

xtron
    Participant

almost forgot…the best way to store dried taters long term….buy some metal paint cans and lids from a paint store, like sherwin williams..make sure the chips are dry, dry, dry (i throw mine in a 300 degree oven for about 1/2 hour) fill the can, pound the lid on, lable, date, and store…
    dehudrated taters work best in au graten and escalloped dishes

i have heard, but have not tried. that you can powder them in a blender and make your own instant potato buds.

2020_Okie
    Participant

ahhhh… tatters…. this is how I scratch that prepper itch!.. buy a 10 bag of potatoes peel em and dice em.. then blanch and dehydrate.. so easy.. we use the heck out of em.
    while your beans are soaking overnight… put you about 1.5 handfulls per person of dehydrated potatoes ( cut to the right size ) in a bowl.. add water and stick it in the fridge….you are now good to go .. drain and fry when the time is right.

paulp

How long does dehydrated food stay good?
    is vaccume sealing best,
    does it last the longest?
    Just watched the video, very good I have some studying to do and some things to buy
    this is a very good site for info.

paulp

Just got Excababer 3900 off ebay,(got it) also found commerical vaccume sealer (got it)and got 100 1gal vac bags(got them) need some storage containers to set up BobBins need army navy story for things like fire starter, ax, Kbar, intrenching tool, sleeping bags, Tents, Ponchos and i’ll see a lot more wile in the store.
    going to take some time.

watcher
    Participant

Here are my latest dehydrating notes in one file. It is a word document. I will update and repost as I do different things.

mombear
    Participant

Paulp,I vacuum pack all my dehydrated food into canning jars and I have used food as old as 10 years in soups and stews. The key is how its stored, in the jar, in a cool, dark place. what I like about it is I put only one type into a jar, for example carrots.

AuntBee

@watcher wrote:

Here are my latest dehydrating notes in one file. It is a word document. I will update and repost as I do different things.

This looks like a great resource, especially to noobs like myself, thanks! 🙂

Vetmike
    Participant

Now, if we could just find a way to dehydrate water. 😆

PatrioticStabilist
    Participant

I just ordered a dehydrator, its an Excalibur. I looked on the net comparing them and it sounded the best, didn’t realize it is. I ordered for 2 day delivery so that wasn’t cheap but I have a lot of ripe tomatoes I want to dry and I’m afraid they will rot. We love dried tomatoes in all kinds of foods. They add a bit of zing. I think drying sweet potatoes would be good too. I’m always having them rot and don’t want that to happen so will try it. Not interested in doing potatoes, maybe bell peppers and onions.

watcher
    Participant

When you do the onions have the dehydrator outside the entire time. This is a must if you want to be able to live in your house.

PatrioticStabilist
    Participant

I’m not preparing the quantities you are, but getting the last stuff from my garden.

I just bought an Excalibur dehydrator, it is supposed to be $100 off. This one has 9 trays. I have already dehydrated the rest of my onions, many many bulbs equal only a couple of small bags, who knew? But that’s ok, I doubt I need many to add flavor. Also pulled all the rest of my poblano peppers, that was an experience, had to open the window, don gloves as they were burning my hands to cut. But I got them all done, the 3 bags I got should flavor recipes all winter.

Now I’m doing tomatoes, I picked a bunch yesterday and am doing 7 trays now, I thought they might dry better with less trays, I tried to
    get them paper thin. I have enough to do at least one or two more batches. I don’t know what I will find when the vines get hit by the 37 degrees its supposed to get the next couple of nights.

I may can some green ones and wrap the rest to put in the basement. I really like they hydrator and plan to do some bananas and peaches.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum