Dehydrating

This topic contains 236 replies, has 69 voices, and was last updated by  watcher 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 226 through 237 (of 237 total)
  • Author

JayJay
    Participant

may can some green ones and wrap the rest to put in the basement

You don’t like green tomato relish on those pinto and white beans?? 😀

PatrioticStabilist
    Participant

I made some regular relish but not green tomato relish. I really prefer onions and mild banana peppers, have to try some of the dried ones.

I’m in big trouble already, today I’m drying bananas and peaches. I don’t think any are going to make it to packages, THEY ARE DELICIOUS. I LOVE THEM. I’m sure there is pesticides but at least not more chemicals. I can see right now that thing will be churning out dried fruit right and left. Sooooo good.

And I love beans, had some beans at a barbeque restaurant today. I love pinto beans, hubby likes great northern, and navy.

JayJay
    Participant

@patrioticstabilist wrote:

I made some regular relish but not green tomato relish. I really prefer onions and mild banana peppers, have to try some of the dried ones.

I’m in big trouble already, today I’m drying bananas and peaches. I don’t think any are going to make it to packages, THEY ARE DELICIOUS. I LOVE THEM. I’m sure there is pesticides but at least not more chemicals. I can see right now that thing will be churning out dried fruit right and left. Sooooo good.

And I love beans, had some beans at a barbeque restaurant today. I love pinto beans, hubby likes great northern, and navy.

:floppytongue: :floppytongue: :floppytongue: I have a few quarts of dried bananas–I love them and noticed, every time I dry them, they taste different.
    GO figure!!!

PatrioticStabilist
    Participant

I had a bunch of bell peppers left in the garden. I quartered them instead of slicing thin, I have dried and dried them. Not sure if they
    are going to finish ok or not.

JayJay
    Participant

@patrioticstabilist wrote:

I had a bunch of bell peppers left in the garden. I quartered them instead of slicing thin, I have dried and dried them. Not sure if they
    are going to finish ok or not.

Patriot–if you still can, is it possible to cut in long slits and finish??
    Tip: sharp knife!! :p

My tomatoe plants are still bearing/my bush of a green pepper still has about a dozen on the stalk/I have jalapenos about finishing now.
    If I see a freeze, I will put green tomatoes in brown paper bag.

just vacpacked five dozen worth of small apples. Used a spiral peeler/slicer corer, and it worked out great, even in my cheapie Aldi’s dehydrator…reduced down to a nice, compact package. Also vacpacked two pints of Blueberries…man, those got small!

PatrioticStabilist
    Participant

I did 2 more pacs of tomatoes. I sealed them in bags where I can pull some out and reseal. But I wonder if the others will stick together like the bananas. I’ve got quite a few pacs of onions, poblano peppers, tomatoes, onions, the bananas and peaches, wasn’t many and I ATE them.

These wouldn’t last long in an emergency but I can use them through the winter. How long will these keep? I’ve never dehydrated anything before.

neilymon

I had forgotten about Dehydrator until I read these post. Earlier this year I planted a banana tree in the back yard that was a pup when given to me. I was told that next year it will bear fruit. I was wondering what the heck am I going to do with all those banana at one time. Now I know. Thanks for the reminder.
    I tried Dehydrating pepper, carrots and apples. I sure need to learn more about the process before I just willy nilly do things with Dehydrating.
    Thanks

PatrioticStabilist
    Participant

I don’t bake bread much in winter, its not warm enough in the house for it to rise. I have a proofing oven on my stove but its not high enough, once the bread gets fully risen it sticks on the top. Obviously designed by a non baker! I’ve tried the hot water bowl in the oven and stuff
    but it takes forever so don’t like messing with it.

So I found out you can proof bread in the dehydrater, who knew? This one says 2 hours at 100 degrees and I have that setting for
    rising bread on my dehydrator. I’m trying it this morning. This time I bought one of the packages of Krusteaz Artisan Bread, its
    really good. I wish It would keep a long time but the yeast doesn’t. I would include it in preps as its easy to
    make and good.

watcher
    Participant

Another way to proof/rise bread is to use a heating pad as the heat source and a cardboard box to cover it with. Works great, use that all the time.

LetsPrep11
    Participant

PS, can you just add some fresh yeast to the stored Krusteaz?

watcher
    Participant

Strawberries _ I tried to dehydrate fresh strawberries a while back and they did not turn out as well as I would like, so I tried frozen ones (after this experiment I would say if you have a source of fresh ones clean and freeze them, product is much better). 4#s frozen strawberries = 12 to 13 servings per the label, after drying = 5 ounces or 10 servings at 0.5 ounce per serving – dryed 36 hours at 125 degrees.

Viewing 12 posts - 226 through 237 (of 237 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.