Dehydrating

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    IceFire

Ooooh, MzLabby, Santa DOES love you! Congrats on getting such good use out of the dehydrator!

Arent the FoodSavers great? I use mine all the time!

Got my Nesco in the mail yesterday, whoot whoot!!!! Everything in the house is going to be dehydrated!!! You guys here have given me the courage to try so many new things!!!! :clap:

okie B

So I got my Nesco on Friday. Saturday, hubbs sent me to the grocery store to get bananas so we could “play” with it and see what it was like. Round 1 was a rousing success, and we have been snacking on banana chips all weekend.

Round 2, we decided to try some fruit roll-ups. We bought two jars of the spreadable fruit from the jam aisle, spread them out, and started the process. The book said 4-8 hours. After 9 hours, I went to bed. I woke up at 3:00 this morning and couldn’t sleep, so by 4:00, I went ahead and just got up to check on them. Well, they were still sticky, but I knew I shouldn’t leave them going while I went to work today, so I went ahead and pulled them. LOL! What a mess! Tastes good though. I’m wondering if maybe I shouldn’t have added some apple juice or apple sauce to the spreadable fruit to make the consistency thinner. It wasn’t real thick, but I’m thinking thinner might have been better.

I also picked up a bag of apples. That will most likely be Round 3. We’ll see.

Lucky6

I would like to start dehydrating. Can anyone tell me how to store dehydrated food for long term storage. Do you use Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers, Zip lock bags, or jars.

Vina8

@Lucky6 wrote:

I would like to start dehydrating. Can anyone tell me how to store dehydrated food for long term storage. Do you use Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers, Zip lock bags, or jars.

Lucky6, here is a quote from SciFiChick in the first post on this thread.

“One last thing … this is one of the best sites I have found on dehydrating. http://www.dehydrate2store.com” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false”

I used that website a lot when I was learning about dehydrating. Most of her videos are on You Tube, also. She spends a lot of time talking about storing dehydrated food even to the point of being a little OCD. 🙂

Lucky6

Thanks MountainMama, I guess I missed that. I’ll check it out.

@howison wrote:

I recieved recieved a Nesco dehydrator for christmas this year, lost my old one in the house fire in March :(. Yesterday I dried over 10 pounds of carrots that seemed to turn out ok, I am storing them in a mason jar.
    How do you store your dehydrated fruits and veggies?

I store mine in quart-size mason jars. I’ve got 12–yes, you read that right, 12–Nesco dehydrators that I’ve picked up on eBay over about two years for about $25 each. Here’s a thread on my blog about my food dehydration efforts:

http://survivalprep.net/2010/03/04/nine-meals-from-anarchy-part-5-cheap-eats-coming-right-up/#content” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

And among the products of my Nesco–SPINACH!

I currently have about 20 quarts of dehydrated spinach (80 lbs. before dehydration), 20 quarts of dehydrated chicken, a couple quarts of jalapenos, 24 quarts of spices (well, those were already dry) and various other foodstuffs I’ve, well, stuffed into mason jars.

I don’t typically put O2 absorbers in my mason jars, just in the mylar bags I use for rice and beans. Given that air is only 21 percent oxygen and the fact that there’s not much residual air inside a mason jar full of dried veggies, I’m not worried much about food degradation as long as I keep the jars sealed and in a cool, dark place.

birdgirl1

Now have my Nesco in hand! I’m working my way through the Preserve It Naturally book that came with my dehydrator. I’m wondering how many of you do pretreating of your fruits and vegetables? This book leaves it up to the individual. I’m wondering what the experienced folks on this site found works best for them?
    Thanks!
    Birdgirl+1

mr bill

Some say sulphur, some say lemon juice. I don’t think either one will enhance the flavor of what you are drying. I will occasionally add a flavoring to what I dehydrate. Maybe some cinnamon on apples or something of that nature. Again, I believe it to be a matter of personal taste. For my family we prefer just the taste of the untreated fruit, veggie, spice etc. Some books will say to use a bath of lemon juice to preserve the natural color of fruit. If you work quickly and put stuff in the dehydrator (as soon as you peel it or slice it) generally you will get minimum oxydation (Browning). Other folks may have a different opinion. mb

Vina8

I use lemon juice on apples to keep them from turning brown before I can get my dehydrator loaded. Bananas turn whether or not I put lemon juice on them.

okie B

I just got my dehydrator a couple of weeks ago. I’ve done some stuff with a dunk in a lemon juice bath, and some stuff without. Some stuff has been fine without it, but most has done better with it. It hasn’t really impacted the flavor one way or another, but it has made a huge difference in appearance. The ones without the dunk taste fine, but look kind of unappealing.

mr bill

Hey MM,
    Try turning on the dehydrator and loading it as you peel and slice your apples. This will eliminate the lemon juice stage. I don’t know, you may prefer using juice or slicing your apples ahead of time. mb

Vina8

You know, I never even thought of that. Good idea. I will do that next time. Thanks, Bill.

mr bill

You are welcome. And thank you for all the cool stuff I’ve learned from your posts!!

I just got these videos uploaded last night showing how to dehydrate chicken…although really these same general steps would work for dehydrating and/or jerking other types of meat (DYOD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkvMScLWtZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W19vibwGSo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGWSYooCHzo

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum