Dehydrating

This topic contains 236 replies, has 69 voices, and was last updated by  watcher 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 237 total)
  • Author

Uvajed

@survivalprepdotnet wrote:

@howison wrote:

20 quarts of dehydrated chicken

Everything I’ve read so far says, no to fats. Please, can you expand, give sites or whatnot about meat? I just ordered my Excalibur. Isn’t it ironic, my high school was the Knights, our year book was the Excalibur?

And if anyone know additional information about dehydrating canned food, your help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve read, no salt. A lot of canned food is salted. We have a cannery nearby that sells dented cans, you should see my pantry. For $10 buck, I can bring home 144 cans of veggies. Unlabled, but I take care of that. 24 cans of peas, etc, for 4 bucks, plus, they always throw in a case or two for nothing. Anything they don’t sell goes to the charities.

Thanks for all the advice on this thread. I’ve got the bug, and can barely wait to start. It’s almost time for our farmer’s market to open, the pick your own places will be opening in a couple months, and all that good stuff! I’m so psyched! :clap:

Uvajed

@howison wrote:

20 quarts of dehydrated chicken

Aha! I am watching your video links. I guess I am one step behind. Sorry for the uneducated post…..

Uvajed

@mountainmama wrote:

I use lemon juice on apples to keep them from turning brown before I can get my dehydrator loaded. Bananas turn whether or not I put lemon juice on them.

Whenever I make an apple pie, I use lemon juice to preserve the ‘fun’ of what an apple pie should be. I’m a HUGE fan of lemon juice. It’s all about what it looks like. A glob of crap is not appealing. No one wants nutrition to look like a government program. Sadly, we are heading there. Hopefully, we’ll repeal it. God bless America! We are who the liberals are afraid of.

Alaska Rose

Drying meat is fairly simple. You can cook it any way you want, and then dehydrate it. Or you can dehydrate it raw. Jerky is dried raw meat, usually seasoned befre drying. Fish can be dried, also, but I prefer smoking and drying it as well as the jerky. I smoked 90 salmon one Summer and 1 1/2 caribou cut into thin slices, marinaded and eaten as jerky.

Uvajed

Thanks for the info, everyone who posts their stories is just more fuel in our arsenal. You people are fabulous!!!

tigger2

It was my understanding that chicken and pork were not good to try to dry. The potential for bacteria is too great. If I am wrong point me to the right info. I have always dried beef.

watcher
    Participant

The fat in the pork will go rancid very quickly, however I have found spam dehydrates well. As far as the fowl goes I have dehydrated the canned turkey from spam and commercial turkey rolls (used for banquets) with no problems. All these where done for the short term, I have no data on the durations>

Alaska Rose

If you are going to dry pork, I would suggest trimming all fat and cooking very well done, then slicing and drying. The fat will go rancid on any meat if dried with it. I brown lean burger, then rinse in very hot water to remove as much grease as possible, then dry. It keeps fairly well, in that cool, dry, dark place.

okie B

Okay, so I’m thinking this weekend, I’m going to start dehydrating some potatoes. Question — is it better to just blanch the potatoes, or should I go ahead and boil them until they are cooked? I’m kind of thinking that for just general potato storage, just blanching them, but if I wanted to put together some dehydrated ingredients for stew, wouldn’t it be better to go ahead and cook them and then dehydrate them so the stew itself is just rehydrate and eat? I guess the same question in regards to carrots also.

BTW — we did another load of strawberries this weekend, only I made sure to slice them instead of halving them like hubby did last time. They came out wonderfully. I think I have eaten more fruit in the last month thanks to the dehydrator than I have for the last several years. With my allergies, I got used to not eating very many fruits or vegetables when I was younger because the docs weren’t sure what all I was allergic to and my parents didn’t want me to go through allergy testing. As an adult, I did the allergy testing and found out I wasn’t allergic to as much as they originally thought (at least, in regards to foods). But it has been hard overcoming that mental block of “Hmmm, this texture is plant-based — it could kill me!” By dehydrating the fruits and vegetables, it changes the texture enough that I have been able to get past that mental state and actually enjoy foods that most people have eaten their whole lives. That, in and of itself, has made my dehydrator absolutely invaluable to me.

Vina8

Okie, my experience is that even shredded potatoes (hash browns) take about 10 minutes in hot water to rehydrate before frying. Some of the other vegetables, particularly green beans, take longer. But if I were you, I would experiment with a few vegetables fully cooked that you would include in stew and then see how well they rehydrate without cooking. My guess is that the smaller the better. I have only used my vegetables in cooked dishes, so I just blanch. But, shoot, I am just a newbie to dehydrating, too, so this could be the blind leading the blind! 😕

kymber

Okie – thanks for sharing that! i have a friend who has similar experiences to yours…i am going to send her some dehydrated fruits and veggies!

Uvajed

I just ordered my Excalibur today!

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/9-Tray-Large-Excalibur-with-26-hour-Timer-3926T-28-37-regular-prod.htm” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

I’ve been researching like crazy, read all the testimonials, and decided, go for broke! I’m so excited!

Alaska Rose

Good luck to you, Uvajed.
    I cook my potatoes until barely done, not mushy. New potatoes work very well for this as they hold their shape well when cooked.

Vina8

@uvajed wrote:

I just ordered my Excalibur today!

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/9-Tray-Large-Excalibur-with-26-hour-Timer-3926T-28-37-regular-prod.htm” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

I’ve been researching like crazy, read all the testimonials, and decided, go for broke! I’m so excited!

Congratulations! You will love it. I have had mine going for two days doing some cheap frozen veggies! I can’t wait for the fresh stuff from the garden.

MrDanB
    Participant

Well… I just sliced up a half dozen red delicious apples to 1/4″ thick, soaked in ascorbic acid/water, spread out on paper towels and sprinkled with gourmet cinnamon. Fanned them out on the Nesco trays and got her running… This is my first attempt at dehydrating. I read that I should peel the apples first, but I had a run-in with a very sharp peeler at a young age and have since tried to avoid them at all costs (seems they can peel skin and fingernail too!lol) Anyway, hoping to have edible fruit snacks tomorrow morning… :drool:
    Dano

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 237 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum