Easy Soap Making

This topic contains 25 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  mmpaints 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

mmpaints
    Participant

I have a recipe with full instructions for making soap on my blog. It’s a cold process lye soap recipe made with easy to find ingredients that all have a long shelf life. If you’d like to try to make soap, this one makes a nice batch. http://selfsustainedliving.blogspot.com/2008/12/planted-seed-of-inspiration.html

kymber

yer a freakin inspiration! thanks MM!

CoM

Video series on making cold process & rebatched soap

http://www.ehow.com/video_4437795_ready-make-soap.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Each part will automatically start when the current one is finished. Do not click anything to get them started.

You can click the x on the ads after the video starts.

edea1976

Always wanted to make soap, now I’ll have to try it! Thanks for the info!

pictorials on soapmaking (pics show making sopa with 100% milk) on one of my web pages: http://www.mullerslanefarm.com/soapmaking” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

Also has recipes, lye calculators and suppliers.

Pedro wyoming
    Participant

Great post MM, thanks.
    A word of advise/caution to all when doing this. If your batch fails to saponify, check the lye for tiny metal specks. This is magnesium added to prevent meth makers from using the lye in their process. It also causes soap making to fail.
    PW

roger o
    Participant

Thanks for the warning PW. Can you advise how to get “over the counter” lye that has not been denatured?

Pedro wyoming
    Participant

I googled “soap making supplies” there are a multitude of sources. I am sure their lye is suitable, but this puts you on a mailing list. Check with chemical suppliers for boiler corrosion inhibitors. They will carry lye as “caustic scale preventative” or some similar name. They make require a purchase of a pallet or more and view a 50# purchase with suspicion.
    I use lye in my job and damaged bags cannot be transported per DOT. Most customers just toss it in the trash and write it off. I collect the damaged bags if the content is not damaged and dispose of them in my truck. The other option is collect wood ashes and make it yourself. This is not as convenient, but a handy skill when you can no longer buy it. It is a simple process and easy to do after the first couple of times. This produces mostly potassium hydroxide, but very suitable for saponification. The soap will be softer than with lye… AND wood ash is not yet on a watchlist as far as I know…
    PW

MMpaints provided this link:http://candleandsoap.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=candleandsoap&cdn=homegarden&tm=25&f=10&su=p504.1.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http://www.essentialdepot.com/servlet/the-Sodium-dsh-Hydroxide-dsh-Lye-dsh-Food-dsh-Grade/Categories

lathermaker

Go to your local Building supply store.(Menards, Lowes, Home Depot etc) Look in the drain cleaner section for DRY crystals that are 100% Sodium Hydroxide. Drano is NOT the right kind. There is a brand called “Ryobic” or something like that. Do not use the liquid type, it’s not the right concentration to work.

I know this is Johnny-come lately for this thread, but I get my lye (sodium hydroxide) from Essential Depot on line. It is currently 1.99 for a two pound bottle, plus shipping. no waiting list….I think I had to e-sign some kind of a disclaimer a few years ago. FAST shipping too. Great company! For carrier oils I like Glory Bee Natural Foods. Their essential oils are reasonable, strong, and fresh as well.

mmpaints
    Participant

Thank you EPG, excellent

SciFiChick

@earthypoetgirl wrote:

I know this is Johnny-come lately for this thread, but I get my lye (sodium hydroxide) from Essential Depot on line. It is currently 1.99 for a two pound bottle, plus shipping. no waiting list….I think I had to e-sign some kind of a disclaimer a few years ago. FAST shipping too. Great company! For carrier oils I like Glory Bee Natural Foods. Their essential oils are reasonable, strong, and fresh as well.

I’ve uesd Essential Depot as well and have to say that these guys are GREAT! Good prices and great service always Rock! We can’t buy lye here because of the meth heads, so this is a great option for me.

Lostfalls

And even later here am I… LOL!

I get my Lye from Big R – their brand (can’t remember what it is now) works really well for me and they periodically put it on sale so I have a ton of it, and have adjusted my recipes so that one bottle of Big R lye will make a big batch of soap. I was concerned about the storage life of lye but I bought an old jar of it from a yard sale a year ago and the guy told me it had to have been sitting in his garage for 20 years years. The lye had become solid and I had to break it up into chunks with a screw driver, but cautiously I used it just like I would any other lye and it turned out perfectly! Since then I have not been concerned at all about long term storing my lye, in a nice temp controlled area, as opposed to in a garage.

Liked your recipe mmpaints – I have some similar to that, that uses tallow. We do beef, so I have an almost an endless supply of that. I also find that its adds a nice hardness to the bar. Not rock hard like the store soap – but just a nice hardness that I personally like, and it seemed to improve the quality of my soap from when I was just doing veggie soaps. I love finding new soap makers there isn’t anyone around me that makes soap that I can chat with about it. One thing that interested me was the sugar in your recipe. What does it do or add to your bars? I have never tried any recipes with sugar.

Have you tried doing a pine tar soap? I have been wanting to try that and have heard it does wonders for people with skin problems….

mmpaints
    Participant

honestly Lostfalls, I havent a clue what the sugar does as far as chemical reaction. I’ve never tried it without. I like this recipe because it works really well with the luffa (poured into the luffa and allowed to set up) and gives you the scrub and soap all in one. This recipe works really well for chiggers and chigger bites, doesn’t do much for turkey mites tho. This recipe also works great for acne. Cleared my daughters skin problems up in just a couple of days of use. I have 100’s of different soap recipes but this one comes out the same every time and everything in it is easy to find.

Lostfalls

Really?! Helps Chigger bites huh? HOW cool! I have a whole part of my family that lives in the South and occasionally suffer from Chigger bites, I see a future Christmas present possibility. Thanks for the tip!

The luffa thing sounds cool too! Do you grow your own luffa too? That sounds like a great combo. Was going to try growing my own luffa in next year’s garden. Do you put the luffa into a small box type mold and then pour? I want to try this…

Sorry for the questions – Does the sugar stay crystalized or does it melt completely? I wonder if its there to provide scrubbing power perhaps? I have seen alot of recipes and none with sugar yet, but I am always hunting for new ideas. Sorry, I get like this, a little OCD about things that peak my interest… its good for prepping though….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Easy Soap Making’ is closed to new replies.

American Preppers Network Forum