Emergency Comms

This topic contains 47 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Rookieprepper 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

RevLong

nope never served at meade the closest i ever got was living in fredrick MD for a while..of course that where we sent all our stuff to..

ravenwolf31

Right now I just have a little and old 40 channel handheld CB radio that still works, and also my cell phone with dual band on that. Otherwise I might have to do a little work on the comms area.

Hansel1

your cellphone will become useless in an extended emergency as access will be limited.

How does one get involved in getting a HAM license?

Muzhik

First, a pet peeve of mine: It’s just “ham”. It’s not an abbreviation, and originally started as an insult from the professional telegraph radio operators when complaining about the amateurs’ bad practice.

Second, check out the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) website for current information and suggestions in getting your license. http://www.arrl.org/

Basically, you have to take a test covering technical information and operating practice. Morse code is no longer required to get a license, but in a SHTF situation it will be a LOT easier to use and a lot more reliable than voice operation.

SCPrepper
    Participant

I know this a bit off, not too far thought….everyone needs to get an emergency alert radio…we keep it by the bed, and when the tornado warnings come through in our are…it is a GOD send !

BuckLemuria

I have heard this a lot and I don’t think it is a problem.

1. As a ham I am getting embedded with the LEOs, EMDs, ARES, RACES and Skywarn. I want to be seen as part
    of the solution and not part of the problem.

2. Ham radios are complex and takes skill to operate. Pushing the wrong button can get
    many radios in a very confused state. I have done it myself with a Yaesu VX8. If they
    take my 746 they will never get it to work. A lot gear is in the same boat. The owner
    can make it work, but many rigs have quirks about them.

3. The government has been working on their communication system for years. They
    have plans in place for comm. They don’t need the ham radio or event the ham bands

4. Ham radio is going to be a great source for intel for them. Be aware when you use
    radios ATSHTF.

5. They won’t have the resources to track down everyone of the near 700,000 ham radio ops
    in the US. If it is a nation or global SHTF then the last thing on their minds will be rounding
    up ham radios.

Having said that I would never have my street address on my FCC license. Not because
    I am concern about the government. I am concern about MZBs. If by some chance
    they have a copy of the FCC database and hear the call sign W1AW or whatever
    all they have to do is look it up in the database (which is public) to find the location.
    No RDFing required.

@hansel1 wrote:

Always remember, all the license does is to give you the right to use the airwaves in “”peace”” times there is a good chance that post TEOTWAWKI or other similar happenings the license and the privilege to use ham radio equipment will be suspended. Moreover, having a license just put you on the radar of Federal and Local government. If past wars and world events are any indication, there will be a chance that any ham Radio operator will get a visit that will result in his/her equipent being either confiscated or destroyed.

In todays world, NOBODY needs a license to buy ham radio equipment, it is NOT illegal to own it. It is however illegal to operate it. After TEOTWAWKI or a similar event most people will not care if they have a license and use the equipment.
    If you buy radios, even as a licensed Ham and you want them to be secure from .gov agents buy them with cash, at the local swap meet or from a fellow ham, do NOT sent in the warranty card…you do not want any paper trail connecting you to that piece of equipment. People always underestimate the resolve and the resources that the government has….and for one thing do NOT underestimate the people that will be willingly or unwillingly colaborate with the government or thugs and gangs.

John

Rod

It’s not so much the Fed Gov that worries me some but the state, county, and city governments that may request, receive, and distrubute, my info from FCC. And those that hear my call now, take note, and look me up later to see what I got. When you look at it all as a possible threat it snowballs. My home can’t be defended anyway so it’s nothing I haven’t planned for as best as I can.

roger o
    Participant

Buck, may I ask, what address you give o the FCC for your license? I have a general ticket and they have all of my info, they do after all need to send you renewals.

Thanks!

TheLight

@roger o wrote:

Buck, may I ask, what address you give o the FCC for your license? I have a general ticket and they have all of my info, they do after all need to send you renewals.

Thanks!

PO Box. Or an old address. Or an address where you live but wont be when there’s a SHTF scenario.

dlbenx2

OK. First post to this thread. No, I don’t know anything about Ham Radio. We have cb’s in cars and house. We have family walkie talkies. 1 handheld scanner for local happenings. Now, I would like to have the ability to use the short wave system. Only in case. I have shopped and only gotten more confused. I would like a pair of handheld, rechargeable, with vox & headset options. Please advise what I should be shopping for. Thanks

Rod

The problem with a radio like the one I think you are looking for is the antenna. If the antenna is so small as to be attached to a short-wave hand held radio then it will not work very well. There are lots of mobile high frequency rigs and some that are meant to be carried in a back pack with a rechargeable battery and some that are very small and low power but they are code only rigs and still require a large antenna to be hung from a tree or something.

dlbenx2

Thanks Rod, That is more straight forward than any of the advertising information I have read. So, just to get say a 50 mile radius for information if needed, I really have no simple option? I may try to find a receiver only. I should be able to pickup info that way shouldn’t I? Thanks again. David

Rod

I see you are in the mountains. A good way to get your 50+ mile transmit range would be to use a mobile dual band vhf/uhf that can cross-band repeat. Then you can park this vehicle up on the closest mountain and reach it from within the whole valley with a hand-held at 5 watts on the 70cm band, the repeater will boost this 5 watts up to 50w or more and repeat it on the 2 meter band from up high to talk 50 miles. But this is not simple and to get it to work and test it you will need to get a technician class ham to set it up and then teach you how to use it correctly. Yes it would be much better, and legal, if you got the tech. license yourself, and then you would understand the whole thing much better. Tech. is the easiest license to get. This kind of setup also works very well from the inside of a mall or other building but VOX is never available on this kind of hand-held transceiver.

You can listen legally from any radio. You could get a radio scanner and monitor your local fire and police frequencies and the local 2 meter ham repeaters. This will give you a good idea what is going on and if you have the money some scanners are able to follow a trunked system. Most of the State Police have invested in trunked radio systems, which hop frequencies. If you want to listen to this then you have to find out what kind of trunked system your police are using and make sure you get the scanner that can track those signals. I know some people that listen to several scanners because when one stops on an active frequency the others keep looking.

There are emergency alert radios that have SAME programming to let the user program what dangers they want to be notified of. You may have to install a improved antenna to get this kind of radio to work properly depending on how deep you are in the valley but it is quiet until it receives the signal that you have set to be notified of, flood warning, tornado watch, severe thunderstorm warning, chemical spill, etc. A good radio for alerting you to danger when you are sleeping.

And then there are short wave receivers. Short wave will let you listen to lots of distant broadcast stations. Some SW receivers let you listen to hams on single side band (ssb) but you need a good antenna, which can be built out of wire. A large antenna always helps a SW radio work better so an external antenna connection is another good feature to look for. I don’t know which SW radios are the best for listening to hams because the models keep changing every couple of years. You can research high frequency wire antennas and short wave radios online just remember to watch for the ssb feature, with out ssb the only hams you might hear will be using code. Lots of SW receivers don’t have ssb, I would never buy one without it.

If you want to buy a HF ham rig to monitor the HF ham bands that is a good option but it will cost more money, unless you find an old one in good condition, and you will still have to put up a good antenna. These are more complicated radios and the manuals are written for hams but most will receive the SW broadcasts also. To legally transmit on this radio you can get a General License.

Kanman

I am new to prepping, and have been doing a lot of reading on the forums here. There is a lot of information on the communication side of this, and the radio’s. The question I propose, is what happens if there are no comms anywhere from anyone? For what ever reason, it is possible you won’t be able to talk to anyone. Has anyone thought of the visual side of it? Granted, you can not communicate as far, but there are times that visual would be better, even if the radio’s work. I was a Signalman, (visual communication and identification) in the Navy, and just think that the visual side should not be forgotten. Any thoughts on that?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum