Fairbanks Master Gardener Classes

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Permafrost 6 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Permafrost
    Participant

I have noticed a common theme with some of the preppers I have met in the interior, they have seeds but don’t actually grow them. I can speak from experience when I say that having some seeds stored away is not same as a food resupply plan. It took my wife and I about 5 years before we started getting good harvests, with enough food to make gardening worth it. There is a learning curve when it comes to things like soil, water, and fertilizer. To top that off not all seeds and strains are created equal, that “survival pack” someone may have bought might not have anything that will grow well in the interior. I have spent the last 2 years collecting seeds that produce well in the interior, and am finally harvesting seeds this year, but this has been a trial & error effort. I highly encourage everyone to not just buy or trade for seeds that grow in their region (Ester Bio-Diversity Program) but to actually use the seeds and learn what it takes to harvest enough food to make it worth it. A emergency is not the time to learn, it is a time to use the knowledge you have already accumulated. It is possible to have food self sufficiency in interior Alaska, and it starts with a single step.

The UAF Cooperative Extension is offering open registration for their Master Gardener Program. Classes begin November 12 with instructor Steven Seefeldt. Classes are $200 and that includes all supplies and the Master Gardeners Handbook put out by UAF and specific to interior Alaska.

Tuesday Class: November 12-March 4, 6pm to 9 pm
    Wednesday Class: November 13-March 5, 6pm to 9pm

Both classes are identical, just choose the day that works best for you. Call 474-2423 for more info or to register.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum