Feb 2019 – What Did You Do to PrepRe This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion Feb 2019 – What Did You Do to PrepRe This Week/Month?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  IceFire 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

IceFire

Starting the new month. Finished filling the emergency “cash stash” for the car (included finishing replacing the money I’d had to borrow from said stash.) Cut and organized coupons for tomorrow’s grocery run.

IceFire

Grocery run today…got cleaning supplies (with coupons), meats (most with coupons and in-store sale), and veggies (in-store sale) and a few other things. between the two stores, my average was 24.5% savings.

Got 4 bales of hay for the goats, 2 bags of oats, and 4 bags of 22% layer feed.

Cin
    Participant

We’ve been enjoying surprise spring weather, even though it’s supposed to get cold again next week.

We’ve been doing the 2 mile walk with the dogs each morning (we do not do it if it is below freezing, as dog paws can freeze). The dogs appreciate getting out once again.

Husband let the wood stove go out, and cleaned out the ashes. He restocked the porch wood rack in anticipation of next week’s cold. We only have about a week’s worth of wood left. Next year, the plan is to get 3-4 cords.

My family is coming to visit again this summer, so Husband and I are discussing what maintenance we’ll be doing in anticipation of the visit.

IceFire

Well, maybe not that much of a prep, and it wasn’t really me…but our little goat doe dropped two little doelings a couple of days ago. Letting them have all of the milk for the first couple of weeks, then will start milking the mama. Cheese and possibly yogurt on the horizon…

Cin
    Participant

Regular Grocery Run today.

Restocked what we used
    Canned goods for the LTS

While the cabin is still littered with some of my sewing, I am doing less and less as I get rid of stuff (my end goal is to not have any quilting fabric left, but I’ll keep all the tools for future projects).

Husband has taken over and is turning it into a man cave for his hobbies. He has his desktop out there now, the printer, the photo scanner, and a few other odds and ends for other things he plans to pursue. The wall of south windows will be the plant nursery as we start veggies for Spring.

We have a few more days of bone-chilling cold. We have been told by the weather-guessers, and have seen signs of Spring coming early – robins in the yard!

I suspect this week we may be seed starting.

IceFire

Did a “Girls’ Day Out” shopping run to the city 90 miles away with daughter and a friend of ours. Went to Sam’s and Costco, with a stop at a fabric store in between the two. Got more TP for the stockpile, butter, bacon, C and D cell batteries, an a few other things. At the fabric shop, got a GREAT deal on some really nice fabrics…4 5/8 yards of a 60″wide, off-white silk shantung for $30, because there was some water staining. It was originally $24.95 per yard. At the original price, it would have been $110 – the owner’s son was going to discount it to $90, but the owner (a sweet lady in her 90’s) REALLY likes me, so gave it to me for $30. I also got 3 1/2 yard (again, 60″ wide) of a champagne/blush colored jacquard (no price on it) also for $30. Finally, 16 antique buttons that will look very nice with either fabric. Total bill for both fabrics and the buttons was $108. Not only that, but she GAVE me a large round cookie tin FULL of old buttons. Someone had given it to her, but she didn’t really have any use for it…many of the buttons don’t have matches, quite a few are plastic, and they ALL need to be cleaned up, but while going through them at home, I found quite a few VERY pretty and unique gems in the batch. Funny thing is, some of the buttons I think match with some of the buttons that I have from my grandmother’s old button basket!

IceFire

Went home sick from work yesterday (asthma was totally kicking my butt…went to the Dr. and ended up with RX for Prednisone to help the lungs) and stayed home again today, since I was coughing so much. Once I started being able to finally BREATHE a little better, went out to the greenhouse (nice and warm in there, so that helped) and straightened up a little…moved some empty planting trays and plastic containers OFF the floor, and stacked onto the shelves; then re-potted the 3 artichoke seedlings into bigger pots; re-potted the 8 fenugreek seedlings; potted 16 freesia bulbs; planted 72 Emmer Wheat seeds and 72 Mennonite Sorghum seeds; checked on what has started to sprout; watered everything; found the cover for two of the shelving units–got one of them on and zipped up (for some of the things that like it just a tad bit warmer) – can’t put the cover on the other shelving unit yet until I remove the wire from where I have it wired onto the support.

In the garden itself, finished cutting down the old asparagus stalks to clear room for the new spears (a few have started to sprout) and cleared out the dead green bean stalks. Also dumped and cleaned out the ducks’ wading pool, and refilled it with fresh water (which they promptly got dirty again.)

Finally, changed out the bedding in the brooder box.

IceFire

Ended up needing to process one of the turkeys today…the other toms had attacked him to the point that he was NOT going to survive, so rather than let 20 lbs. of meat go to waste, I took him over to another location away from the other animals, and finished him off, then set about getting him cut up. After getting him cut up, took the pieces in to be cleaned and packaged (pieces wrapped in freezer paper, then into gallon-sized Ziploc bags before going into the freezer. Ended up with two bags of turkey breasts, and two of leg/thigh meat. Have the rest of the carcass body/bones and neck in a BIG pot on the stove cooking down into broth, and the feet/lower legs in another pot cooking for stock.

Also went and got 6 bales of hay for goats and cow, and 200 lbs. of layer feed…a bag each for ducks and turkeys, and the other 2 for the chickens.

IceFire

Canned the stock that I made from the turkey. Ended up with 7 quart jars and 1 pint jar of turkey stock.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum