First Aid for hot pepper exposure

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #826
    tigger2
    Member

    I love hot sauce. Every now and then I over do it. Well there is a quick fix for the burning. Let me explain how and why you feel a burning sensation when you eat peppers. The burning you feel is not from acid. It is from alkalinity of the capsaicin in the peppers.
    In chemistry you have acids and alkalines.
    Since your mouth is on fire from an alkaline, what you need is an acid to neutralize alkaline. Water does not work very well. Milk does not work. Concentrated lemon juice works great. Just put a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice in your mouth and gargle. You find relief very quick.
    I have used this method over the years. If your toddler bites down on a Habanero, you can probably avoid a trip to the E.R. by using concentrated lemon juice.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum