Freezing fruit with sugar or syrup?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Food & Water Freezing Freezing fruit with sugar or syrup?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    AuntBee

These are noob questions. I thought I remembered another discussion about this, but I can’t find it.

I have a bunch of different kinds berries I want to freeze. My memory growing up is that my mom just washed the berries, threw them in a freezer bag, added a handful of sugar, gave it a shake and called it good. Months later, the berries became pies and were delicious. The problem is this: I lack my mom’s “feel” for mixing and making food without measuring. I’ve read a couple of different formulas, like 3/4 cup sugar to 1 quart of blackberries, but 2/3 cup sugar to 1 quart of blueberries.

Some recommend freezing immediately, others say to let the berries sit for about ten minutes before freezing, and still others say to squish the berries a little bit so the juices mix with the sugar and then freeze.

I know how to freeze peaches, for instance, but for some reason I have myself wrapped in knots over this berry business. 😛 I know it’s a small matter in the general scheme of things, but I don’t want to end up with frozen yuck.

Aunt Bee
    OCD

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum