fry bread

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    roolu
    Participant

Has anyone found a good way to store fried bread? Is this something where a vacuum pack would be ok?

mmpaints
    Participant

you know, I never really though of it. The ingredients store so much easier and with less spoilage than anything fried and really, it’s not that hard to make for when you need it. Have you thought about just doing it that way? i think you’ll be happier with your results.

roolu
    Participant

Probably true, but was thinking of something that would work for the trail. Guess pemmican and trail mix is ok, but I do love my fry bread. lol

mmpaints
    Participant

Oh, well then, I dont see why a vac seal wouldn’t work for something like that. After all, you’re not going to be storing it for a year, just long enough to last thru your trip. I’d try the food saver method.

mmpaints
    Participant

Scifi is our resident food saver guru too, LOL

kymber

roolu – if you have a good pemmican recipe – i’d love to have it! and as for the fry bread – how long are you out hiking? if you want to take already-made fry bread i would suggest wrapping each piece in a brown paper bag. they should keep well like that!

as for Sci being our resident food saver guru….i bow to my guru!

D_Loki
    Participant

The Foodsaver is the BOMB!!! I use it for everything from repackaging and freezing bulk meats, to dry sealing canning jars for sugar, salt and pasta, to packaging socks for hiking. Its great to store prep items to keep them dry and protected. I bought a case lot of cheapo pocket knives for potential trading/bartering. I oiled them all and vacuum sealed them in Foodsaver bags. After 4 years in the damp garage, there is still not a spot of rust. The food saver is my #1 tool right after duct tape.

kymber

D_Loki – are you sure that you aren’t SciFi in disguise? cuz she is crazy about her foodsaver too! and she needs to put up her video!!! (yes Sci i am asking for it on yet another thread!!!)

teehee…i love duct tape too. i would really like to thank the inventor of duct tape. might just be the most awesomest invention ever!

roolu
    Participant

Kymber, I will check for my recipe and PM you with it. I had not thought of the brown paper bags, that would well since it fried, the bag would soak alot of the oil up. I’m only on the trail about 4-5 tops. Just love my fry bread, and I have the hips to prove it. lol

kymber

Roolu – i got the recipe in my PM and for anyone interested in it, Roolu posted it here: pemmican-recipe-t230.html

as for the brown paper bags – thats what i was thinking – it would soak up alot of the oil better than putting it in a baggy or container. and hey – who doesn’t love fry bread???

IceFire

@SciFiChick wrote:

FoodSaver rocks! One of my favorite “tools” ever!

I’m with SciFiChick. I LOVE my FoodSaver. I use it to vacuum-seal ALL of my “dry” foods…sugar, salt, flour, grains, beans, rice, instant potatoes, pasta, dehydrated veggies, etc. Anything not already in a jar or can. (Although you COULD vacuum seal those too, if you wanted.) Protects from air, moisture, and insects/pests… all the main reasons for food spoilage. I also use it to keep “non-food” prep items dry and protected. YOu can even vacuum-seal important documents, changes of clothes/extra socks, etc for your “Bug-out” bags…not only does it keep those things dry, it “compresses” them, which gives you more room in your bag.

For those of you who don’t already have a Vacuum-sealer, GET one! It will definitely help with the the preps!

mltplmom

Edible oils – no matter how well you try to store them , they turn rancid with time. Evenmore so with fried foods.
    Once fried -unless they are stored in the freezer and rotated out every 2 months or so – they won’t keep long.
    Fry bread could however keep for a week or so and be refreshed with a sprinkle of water and placed in an oven, or reoiled and flash fried in a pan.

roolu
    Participant

Wow, ok now I know to get the Food Saver! Was trying to figure out what brand to get, so thanks to all the Food Saver fans who replied here.

IceFire

@mltplmom wrote:

Edible oils – no matter how well you try to store them , they turn rancid with time. Evenmore so with fried foods.
    Once fried -unless they are stored in the freezer and rotated out every 2 months or so – they won’t keep long.
    Fry bread could however keep for a week or so and be refreshed with a sprinkle of water and placed in an oven, or reoiled and flash fried in a pan.

You could always mix up the dry ingredients and seal them in a bag, then just add water and fry up as needed. For fat/shortening IN the ingredients, there is a powdered shortening available (many of the LDS prep sites carry this) that can be mixed with the dry ingredients, then you only have to add water before cooking.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum