Frybread

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Uncle_Fester 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Frybread

Often thought of as a traditional Native American food, it’s been made by the tribes of the Southwest only within the last hundred years. It contains few ingredients indigenous to the lands of the Old West. Most frybread ingredients came from the new settlers and were acquired by tribes through trading.

Development of this tasty bread most likely happened as a result of need by two cultures, which found that frying bread in a skillet could save time; the result traveled well and lasted longer than other breads.

You can vary this recipe by changing the size of the pieces or roll it out to ¾ inch thick, which takes longer to fry but gives the bread a chewier texture.

FRYING TIME: Approx. 15 seconds per side

FRYING TEMPERATURE: 375 degrees

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon granulated sugar

1 ½ cups whole milk

2 tablespoons shortening or lard, melted

Blend all four dry ingredients. Add the milk and shortening, slowly stirring with a wooden spoon. It will appear very dry. Turn out on floured board or counter and knead dough until firm, but don’t overdo it. Pat out the dough to about ¼ inch thick. Cut into circles any size that will fit the frying pan. Heat about 2 cups of oil in your skillet to 375 degrees (a 1 inch cube of bread will brown in 1 minute at 375 degrees). Carefully slide your dough into the pan. The fry bread should puff up immediately. Turn once (very carefully) when golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Use frybread any way you can imagine. For example, fill with fruit and fold over like a taco shell. Top frybread with taco meat mixed with a can of diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, avocados, olives, jalapenos, shredded cheese, and sour cream. When describing this family favorite to a friend he told us this was known as a Navajo Taco.

IceFire

LOVE frybread! It’s especially good when surrounding a Bison Burger!

autumnwear

i just tried frybread a few weeks ago, for the first time. I used gluten free flour, as I have celiac disease, but it still didn’t turn out half bad. It was a bit chewy though but was good. I put honey on it and it was great! Bread of any kind is a treat to me and this was very easy and good for any meal- breakfast or dinners.

Uncle_Fester

Okay, to the original poster. . . can this be made with powdered milk? We want to make a large batch of the mix, using powdered milk, store it in a 5 gal bucket, so we scoop out XXX amount, add XX amount of water, mix and cook. We are having trouble figuring out, how much powdered milk to use and how much water to add ect ect . . . . can any one help with this?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.