Gas Mask questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    angie_nrs
    Participant

I did a search and didn’t really find much here about the topic of gas masks. I plan on going to a military surplus store later in the week. I don’t have gas masks and am considering a purchase. So I have a few questions that i’m hoping someone here can answer…..

1. What specifically do I look for?
    2. What is a reasonable price?
    3. How many filters would be prudent?
    4.. What types of disasters would a gas mask be used for?

I know that they would be useful in chemical warfare, but I really don’t concern myself too much with that since I don’t live in an urban area and I would think that a city would be more of a target. I’m not really sure how useful they would be in a nuke type situation? I’m still trying to educate myself on nuke fallout and precautions. There’s just so much to do that I haven’t been able to read up on that as much as I would like.

I also don’t want to “stand out” so to speak. I will pay with cash and I’m hoping the cashier doesn’t ask too many questions as I don’t like making face to face purchases such as this but I also don’t really want to buy online either. How do I make the purchase without drawing attention? Thankfully it is far enough away that they likely won’t know me, but close enough that I may know someone there too.

I’m also hoping I can find some bunny boots while there but I’m sure that is a long shot. I’ve only been to a surplus store a couple of other times many years ago. Anything else I need to consider purchasing while I’m there?

TRex2
    Participant

What you buy a gas mask for is completely dependent on what you perceive the threat to be. If you perceive the threat to be nuclear fallout, then the next question is how much, and for how long.

Personally, I would not consider buying any of the military surplus masks, since you don’t want to stand out, and they are made for military purposes (patrolling and fighting) plus after purchasing a military surplus mask, you would need military surplus filters. If they are any good, they will cost an arm and a leg.

The “surgical’masks you see people wearing in shows like MASH are completely useless. An N95 mask gives some basic protection, and can be bought in bulk for a couple dollars each. I say to buy them in bulk (boxes of at least ten) because they break down after a few hours, from the moisture in your breath, among other things. There are better masks, starting with N100, and progressing to filtered respirators that are fitted to each individual, but the N95 will give you the most protection for the buck. (BTW, I found some with an exit, or exhale, vent. They are more comfortable, and last a little longer.)

Your mask, alone will not protect you, and should only be a part of a complete plan to shield yourself from, and avoid radioactive particles.

SGT.MIKE
    Participant

MY SUGGESTION IS THIS SINCE I WENT THRU THIS A FEW YEARS AGO ,YOU SHOULD BUY A MASK THATS NEW AND IN USE NOW BY OUR MILITARY ,A ALLTOGETHER USEFUL ONE THAT PROTECTS YOU NOT ONLY FROM TEARGAS WHICH I SEE IS THE MOST LIKELY BE USED IN RIOTS OR ON THE PUBLIC TO GET THEM UNDER SUBMISSION BUT YOU NEED TO CONSIDER OTHER GASSES AND A FILTER THAT CAN PROTECT YOU FROM OTHE BIOLOGICAL AGENTS AND LETS NOT FORGET RADILOGICAL FALLOUT ,MY FILTERS DO ALL OF THESE AND I HAVE UPGRADED TO THE MOST MODERN MY WALLET CAN AFFORD EVERY COUPLE OF YEARS ANYWAY ALL OF THE BEST GAS MASKS AND FILTERS CAN BE FOUND ON EBAY DONT BUY UNTIL YOU RESEARCH THE MASK AND THE FILTERS CAN BE COSTLY IF PURCHASED IN SMALL QUANITYS LOOK FOR VALUE IN CASES OF FILTERS PAY ATTENTION TO THEIR EXPERATION DATES AND WHAT SIZE FILTER THEY TAKE 40MM IS COMMON FILTERS THAT ARE THE WRONG SIZE WONT HELP U AT ALL IF THEY DONT FIT .STAY AWAY FROM ARMY NAVY SURPLUS STORES THEIR PRICES ARE HIGH AND THEIR GEAR IS OLD AND MAY NOT WORK AT ALL THEY ARE THE PAWN SHOPS OR GOODWILL OF STORES ,BUY NEW AND UP TO DATE GEAR DONT SKIMP HERE IF YOU WANT TO BREATH WHILE OTHERS SUFFACATE AND DIE IF YOU HAVE EVER BEEN GASSED BY TEAR GAS YOULL KNOW WHAT I MEAN.ONE LAST THING GET A GAS MASK THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO DRINK WATER WHILE ITS ON YOU ,MOST PEOPLE OVERLOOK THIS .SGTMIKE

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum