HEAT-Gas Stove to Heat a Room

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cladano

If the grid goes down will I be able to still use my gas stove? I’m assuming since the oven has a digital programmer that it wouldn’t work.

Also, what would be the best way to use the stove cooktop to provide heat to a room? ie… it’s the dead of winter and I just want to heat up the kitchen above freezing.

:wave:

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by ReadyMom. Reason: Edited Thread Title
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by ReadyMom.
    ReadyMom

I’m assuming that the original poster is talking about a ‘natural gas’ stove.

We have a natural gas generator I’ve been told that the generator that we have WOULD work, in a long-term grid down scenario. He worked in the industry and said that the flow of natural gas would be for a very long time after an event.

Another person had told me that the gas would NOT flow, because site of original source has to be fed through the lines via electric/fans.

So … which is it?

TRex2
    Participant

Another person had told me that the gas would NOT flow, because site of original source has to be fed through the lines via electric/fans.

So … which is it?

I wouldn’t call them “fans” but the majority of gas and oil pipelines are driven by electric pumps. Texas has already had at least one outage (on a cold winter day) in its gas lines, that I know of.

In addition, in an EMP or Carrington event, some of those pipelines my rupture, if the ground currents (during the E3 phase) gets too strong.

NJMike
    Participant

During Hurricane Sandy, I was able to heat water on the oven’s gas range, which was ignitable at the top burners even when the power was out. That boiled water (around 25 gallons) was used for water convection heat when the temperature dropped right after the storm, and raised the temperature of the living room 9 degrees into a comfortable range. However, a different disaster may have yielded different results. I’ll take advantage of gas if I have it, but wouldn’t bet on anything that’s piped in for long term. Someone can shut the flow off somewhere on purpose, if it doesn’t happen by happenstance or supply.

Cin
    Participant

Be aware that many gas cook stoves sold today have an electronic ignition. Also, some gas Bar-B-Ques do, too. They will not work if the power goes out.

If you are buying, ask the question.

Cin (former appliance sales lady)

TRex2
    Participant

However, a different disaster may have yielded different results. I’ll take advantage of gas if I have it, but wouldn’t bet on anything that’s piped in for long term.

That is exactly what I would recommend.

TRex2
    Participant

Be aware that many gas cook stoves sold today have an electronic ignition. Also, some gas Bar-B-Ques do, too. They will not work if the power goes out.
    If you are buying, ask the question.
    Cin (former appliance sales lady)

Specifically, ask if it can be lit with a match, if the igniter goes out.
    (On a similar note, I had to light the furnace at work that way, one winter.)

IceFire

At our old house in PA, the gas furnace would go out frequently if the wind blew the wrong way (down the flue.) I used to have to re-light it with a LONG lighter every time (whoever installed it put the opening to the back near the wall, and the space behind the furnace was too narrow for my husband to get back there, so I had to squeeze back there every. single. time.)

TRex2
    Participant

The last couple of furnaces I have owned have been a little too “smart” to allow falling back to the old way of doing things, so this winter I plan to invest in a kerosene heater. (A 500 gal Propane tank isn’t practical where I live, or I would go that route).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum