Growing food indoors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    mmpaints
    Participant

Even when it’s cold and snowing outside, you can still enjoy those fresh veges. Save yourself some money by not having to pay premium prices at the grocery store and just grow your own!

Phelan

I’ve got pumpkins growing in my closet right now. Soon I will have a few other things in there.

This link will take you to what our closet is and how to make it.

http://a-homesteading-neophyte.blogspot.com/2008/01/phelans-box.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

looks illegal, don’t it? 😉

mmpaints
    Participant

LOL, that is so cool!

kymber

it really is cool! and an inspiration! we are growing herbs in our windowsills, sprouts in the bathroom and trying to grow some tomatoes in the sun room…the tomatoe thing isn’t working out quite so well yet but i think i can improve it! i will do a post on the CPN in a month or so and then put up a link here.

mmpaints
    Participant

some types of tomato grow kind of spindly indoors and it’s lack of full spectrum light that does it. A tomato needs minimum 6 hours of sunlight to even grow at all. the more light, the better they grow.

kymber

thanks MM – that is exactly the prob that i had been having – spindly tomatoes. however, hubby whipped up a ginormic shelf stand thingy with salvaged (garbage) fluorescent lights and i now have 4 shelves with lights to grow things on – woohoo! i will take pics and put a link here to show everyone! i am hoping that this will fix the prob and provide more room to grow more stuff!

Phelan

another thing we do is build corner shelves in our home, using these gives us more room, and with the proper lighting. . . viola!

here is a link to free blueprints for one
    http://www.woodworkingcorner.com/cornershelf.php” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

you need to paint it white to help with reflection (heat) or use mylar like we did in our closet.

Lighting is super important. shoot another plug?

Here is an article from my blog about lighting.

http://a-homesteading-neophyte.blogspot.com/2008/12/whats-light-got-to-do-got-to-do-with-it.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Come here, closer, we need to keep this between us. If everyone knew what I am about to tell you, then there could be a riot.

Light is important to your plants.

I can hear the gasps, I don’t mean to startle you, but you need to brace yourself, it will get worse.

But before I give you the worse news, I feel it is my duty to tell you a little bit more on why light is so important. Can you say photosynthesis? I know you can. . . .ok, that’s enough. i don’t want you to hurt yourself. Let’s get to the nitty gritty of it. Follow me.

You have all seen a rainbow, don’t give me that. I know you have. The rainbow is an important visual for what I have to tell you. Plants thrive under a rainbow. The blue allows them to manufacture carbohydrates while the red controls assimilation and affects its response to the length of light and darkness. Far red works together with red in many different ways, Germination, stem length and leaf size. I know! Mind boggling. But oh so true. And when you mix the florescent lights, which has the blue spectrum of the rainbow as well as the red with the incandescent light which has the far red, you have yourself a rainbow fit for plant life! oh my! No wonder Dorothy was so obsessed with the rainbow.

Now we have reached the worse part, brace yourself. Are you sitting down? Good. Absolute darkness is crucial for plants. Doesn’t that just blow your mind (ok have got to stop with the 60’s jive talk. I wasn’t even born in that time period. Even though you jive turkey is the cool new insult term to my 4 year old)

Remember to observe your plants, if they are long and spindly looking, they are not getting enough light, if they are burning leaves, too much light. Get yourself a timer, this helps a lot. Normal plants like 8-12 hours of light, while flowering plants enjoy 12-14 hours.

How much lighting does one really need? 10 lamp watts per square foot for fluorescent, mix it 4:1 with the incandescent light. Or just go out and buy some grow lights.

So how was that for boring? Ok boys and girls, I will see you back here on Monday, please read chapter 1-200, there will be a test.

mmpaints
    Participant

LMAO, that’s good, I like it. youforgot to add that carbon dioxide isn’t a poison, it’s plant food.

ponymama44

@mmpaints wrote:

LMAO, that’s good, I like it. youforgot to add that carbon dioxide isn’t a poison, it’s plant food.

so – we should stand around and exhale on our plants!? Okey doike – runs for philodendron……..

D_Loki
    Participant

@ponymama44 wrote:

@mmpaints wrote:

so – we should stand around and exhale on our plants!? Okey doike – runs for philodendron……..

LOL, but this may be why talking to plants makes em “happy”

mmpaints
    Participant

LOL, yes! CO2 is what your plant feeds on during daylight hours, gives off O2.
    All plants give off oxygen during the day and absorb carbon diocide. That’s why Al Gore is such a freakin idiot.

D_Loki
    Participant

Oh darlin there are so many MORE reasons he’s an idiot!

kymber

ok – if everyone could just slow down while i try to say – fot…foto…sin…thu..sus? foto-sin-thu-sus….hey Phel…cut me some slack – i’m trying gurl! oh and yer about as boring as a train-wreck btw!

as for the rest of you —- shame on you! poor Al Gore can’t help it if he is an idiot. shame on you! shame on you for picking on the ree-tard!

oh crap – where is Humble Wife when i need her?!!??!! i think i just said a non-PC word…..all while i am still trying to say fot…foto…sin…

ack. ferget it!

D_Loki
    Participant

Phonetic practice for Mr. Al……………….

eye umm wee tah dead

Glow ball war mingez a hoe ax

eye um tri ing 2 stee all all yo mon knee form eyes elf

eye mall ooze are

eye mall eye are

mmpaints
    Participant

LOL< exactly why I didn;t go into detail of all the reasons why Al is an idiot....... after all, this is a growing food indoors thread! LMAO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum