Growing food indoors

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    IceFire

@ponymama44 wrote:

@mmpaints wrote:

LMAO, that’s good, I like it. youforgot to add that carbon dioxide isn’t a poison, it’s plant food.

so – we should stand around and exhale on our plants!? Okey doike – runs for philodendron……..

That’s why people claim that talking to their plants makes them grow better…while they’re “talking” to the plants, they’re breathing carbon dioxide on them, which makes the plants grow.

kymber

and that’s why we have a ton of food and non-food plants in our house – they act as an air filter also!

mmpaints
    Participant

Yes they do. Plants are a vital part of the life cycle. Without plants, there’s no oxygen. A good example is driving from the country into the city. You can smell the foul air and see the haze. The air also “feels” thicker and heavier. No grass, no trees, no plants flitering the air.

It is my opinion that every home, every condo, every apartment should have a few plants in it just for the clean air they produce. Even if it’s not plants you can ‘eat”!

kymber

MM – i couldn’t agree with you more! i love my plants – ‘specially the ones i can eat – teehee!

IceFire

@mmpaints wrote:

Yes they do. Plants are a vital part of the life cycle. Without plants, there’s no oxygen. A good example is driving from the country into the city. You can smell the foul air and see the haze. The air also “feels” thicker and heavier. No grass, no trees, no plants flitering the air.

It is my opinion that every home, every condo, every apartment should have a few plants in it just for the clean air they produce. Even if it’s not plants you can ‘eat”!

I keep a pretty good-sized pothos on a shelf above my desk at work. Maybe it’s a sign that I’m full of hot air, but one part of the thing stretches from one end of the shelf almost to the other, and another section goes from the shelf 2/3 of the way down to the floor, with a whole bunch of new growth on it. I think it’s trying to take over!

kymber

IF – it sounds like you are going to have to make more room for it – bahahha! but why not take some cuttings from it and share it with some others…it will help keep their cubicle clean and fresh too!

my hubby, jambaloney, who by the way really enjoyed chatting with you the other night (you had him in fits!!!) – they call him the “plantman” at his work…his desk is pretty much covered! but on his bike ride to work – whenever he sees a poor plant at the end of someone’s driveway that is starving for water, food and love – he straps it to his bike and takes it work – he had pretty-much filled up his whole floor before he moved to a new building – thank goodness he has a whole new building and floor to fill up now!

it has always bothered me that people will spend money on a living creature…then starve it and throw it in the garbage. don’t even get me started on cats and dogs. or children.

oh dang – now i have gone and gotten myself sad!!!

but IF – love that plant eh? cuz it is loving you back! or maybe its your hot air – bahahahaha!

IceFire

Kymber- I know how it is with “plant rescue” I came in one day, and there was a half dead plant on my desk with a note saying “Help Me!” I ended up having to remove about 3/4 of it that was TOTALLY beyond saving, repot the rest, and give it a couple weeks of water and TLC. After it the “patient” had been revived, I returned it to its owner (I KNEW which co-worker it belonged to) with strict instructions on watering (and follow-up visits to check on its’ welfare). I’m happy to report that the plant is now doing VERY well.

kymber

teehee…you didn’t tell us that you were a doctor IF! but good on you for saving the plant!

IceFire

Kymber – I am a woman of MANY talents, that y’all haven’t even scratched the surface of!

kymber

well…consider me a scratching post IceFire….and i am scratching really hard! we need to dig out every bit of prepping info that you have tucked away all neat in your brain – let’ er rip girl! we can actually USE you here! and we will! we will suck your brain dry and promise to be nice about it! now – git out there and start teaching us! you have been doing an incredible job so far but i, for one, realize that we haven’t even scratched yer surface!

soooo freakin awesome to have such amazing talented and skilled people all gathered here in one place!

IceFire

Gee whiz, Kymber…now ya got me blushing! I’ve been fortunate to have learned a LOT from my grandmother and mother, who started out as farm folk, and went through the whole Dust bowl/Great Depression thing in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas for a bit before finally heading out to California, and various relatives in a wide variety of professions/occupations. (I was one of those odd kids who actually LISTENED to and LEARNED from my elders).Grew up learning to garden and can/freeze to fruits of our labors. Then, came the military, were we were REQUIRED to keep aa bag “ready to go” for sudden deployments. Even after I got out, we bounced around the world until my husband retired from the Army, so the lifestyle didn’t change. Had the opportunity to travel to different countries, and paid attention to farming/gardeneing methods used in other places. I’ve always believed that learning is a lifelong process, so am always reading and trying things out, and have had the opportunity to attend some really good classes/workshops and pack in some more “learnin”. (of course, every time we got reassigned, I ended up doing a different line of work, which has allowed me to pick up some medical and veterinary knowledge/skills, as well. If I have knowledge of a subject, I am more than happy to share. If I don’t, then I’m ready and willing to learn!

kymber

i guess you just summed up why we are so happy to have you! teehee….YOU….blushing???…i can’t even imagine that – bahahahaha! thanks for all of the work that you are doing here at the forum…we really appreciate your contribution and input!

IceFire

Well, the tomatoes, basils, thyme, chives, dill, and mint are all up and growing. Just waiting on the parsley to sprout. Once I get the additional starter basckets, I’ll be starting peppers, artichokes, and rosemary.

kymber

i’ll be starting a bunch of stuff this week too…soo looking forward to it!

IceFire

Got the additional starter baskets/grow sponges yesterday, to moved most of the herbs to pots, and put seeds in for two pepper plants, and artichoke plant, some spinach, and romaine, iceberg, and buttercrunch lettuces. Even better, the husb said that next month after I get back from my trip, I can buy ANOTHER unit, which will come with the seedstarter setup for up to 66 seedlings! YIPEE!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum