Growing food indoors

This topic contains 98 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Empress 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 99 total)
  • Author

kymber

awesome possum for you IceFire! i will be starting up a new round of seedlings this week – i can’t wait either!

IceFire

Heheheh…think I’ve gotten him “hooked” on the AeroGrows, He’s REALLY liking watching the tomato plants growing. He’s not so much into the herbs, but he’s envisioning all the “salad fixin’s” we can grow indoors year-round. The man LIKES his salads, so figure I can use that as bribery…(I know, I’m evil 👿 )

okie B

IceFire, we have two of the Aerogardens also. One has the full herb spread, and the other has our indoor tomato plants. We have the seedling starter insert also — used it last year. We had a little difficulty with the transplanting, but I think we just waitied too long to get the seedlings out. With the roots being in water, they grew really quickly and intertwined with each other so much that we had a hard time getting them separated. I think that if we would have pulled them a little bit sooner, we wouldn’t have had quite so difficult of a time.

IceFire

I’m thinking of doing a lot of “salad greens” in the starters, and just harvesting from there. At least I wouldn’t have to worry about the deer eating them that way!

kymber

IceFire – i will do a more detailed post with pics later in the week but i recently came across an awesome way of growing salad greens and/or microgreens. use a cloth or plastic shoe sack and either hang it on a door opposite a sunny window, or hang it in a solarium or even outside (depending on your temperatures). fill each shoe pocket with dirt and fertilizer and plant your salad/micro-green seeds!

i can’t wait to do this and i will come back and post pics and whatnot when i do!

IceFire

You’ll definitely have to do pictures. I don’t have any doors opposite sunny windows, so it’s not an option for me, which is why I went with the AeroGrow setup.

Just started some seedlings today. From my heirloom stock: Marglobe Tomato, Scarlet Nantes Carrots, Waltham Broccoli, Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce and from my store bought crap some Hybrid Tomatos,
    Danvers Carrots, Sweet Spanish Yellow Utah Onions, Zuccinni

Start my herbs tomorrow.

In three weeks I will start my beans all heirloom, black valentine, rattelsnake, jacobs cattle, butterscotch, and mayflowers.

I am also getting ready to start my mushrooms.

After the last frost, my yukon potatos, gentlemens corn, blood butcher corn, cantalopes, giant florida watermelons, and my sunflowers……….

Cant wait for the weather to break!

Empress

Here’s some pics of my new “grow station I rigged up in the basement. I think it will work for many things.

this is the outside

And here’s what I could get of the inside.
    I’ll have to use “kid power” to get it watered as I can’t get in there. (OK I could crawl in under the tables too, but they LIKE that sort of thing) now… what to plant. 🙂

kymber

Mossy – that’s a great list of stuff to be starting!!! can i ask you if it is hard to do mushrooms and how do you do them? and what kind?

Empress – thanks for sharing the pics – good idea to use the kid power – bahhahaha!

First time. I will let you know!

Empress

more poor grow station needed more holding power that duct tape. the “walls” fell down. 🙁 I gotta get a staple gun, that should hold it) so when I re-do it, I’ll eave space to get in and out. 🙂 (Yes I’m acting Pollyanna here, ‘s my job)

IceFire

Well, in the week that I was gone, the plants went bonkers! Husband had to rais the light hood TWICE, and the tomato plants are now starting to blossom. The lettuces are getting big enough that I will be able to start harvesting the leaves soon. The artichoke plants have also sprouted.

He also bought me a new blueberry plant today, to replace the one that he mowed down last year. It’s inside until the snow goes away and I can plant it outside.

tigger2

spourts are perfect for growing indoors.

IceFire

Well, the indoor tomatoes are blooming, the herbs have been taken from the Aerogrow and potted, and the lettuce is big enough that I have started picking leaves off for use in salads.

Shelli

awesome IceFire! I want one 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum