Growing food indoors

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 99 total)
  • Author

Soil is so important! And yes, buy heirloom seeds so that you can save them and replant them every year. Hybrid seeds won’t grow right (if at all) if you try to plant them the next year. It’s important to grow now as if we are already in a state of emergency and survival, because that way if/when SHTF, we’re not stumbling through learning how to grow in desperate times.

ShedGal

We grow herbs and salad fixin’s indoors on a shelf in front of the southwest facing kitchen window. We also have other plants around the house for edibles- several ginseng plants for teas and tinctures, citrus plants that go outside in summer come in to ripen in winter, moringa trees for the incredible nutrient content of the leaves and pods and several other things. My absolute favorite indoor crop is red ribbed dandelion- it grows anywhere with just about any light situation, grows quickly and keeps producing for months as you keep harvesting, the leaves are flavorful raw, stir fried or in soups and stews, the flowers are great in teas or salads we even make jam out of them, the roots are great in teas and stews and the nutrient content is very high- we have them all over the house 🙂
    Great to read everyones methods!
    Shed Gal

Colum

You could, but would need to invest a lot in proper lights. While you can sprout almost anything using regular fluorescent lights, once they start growing you need the big lights. These draw a lot of power and create heat so you also need fans etc etc the list goes on and it hardly seems worth the expense when you can pick up the potatoes at the supermarket for a few $$. The same can not be said about pot.

readyforshtf

I gave up on this couldn’t really make it work besides just sprouting from seed.

Joe11

Ive been growing my veggies in a spare room for the past 10 years. Somethings will grow and others wont. Some plants grow really well under light but others dont. Tomatoes are better grown hanging near a window. I even grow Lemon and Oranges with nothing but a 1000W HPS light at 8 hours per day. Here there is ice and snow on the ground for 6 months out of the year so If I can do it you can too. But like a previous poster said. You need proper light.

readyforshtf

I was even using growbulbs 2 bulbs per rack for 12 hrs everyday. They grew great at first but then didn’t grow hardly at all. I’m now going the green house route.

mmpaints
    Participant

I tried the full spectrum lights too and they did not impress me. I get better growth from south facing windows. Of course you have to turn the plants so they grow straight but that’s hardly a big thing.

Pedro wyoming
    Participant

two 400w halides cost about $1 day to run. If you can harvest $30/month in groceries, you are breaking even.

pW

readyforshtf

I agree with Pedro it’s not worth the cost.

Pedro wyoming
    Participant

@readyforshtf wrote:

I agree with Pedro it’s not worth the cost.

Only if i cannot get $30/month in groceries. The trial is ongoing. I will post results as they occur.

pW

readyforshtf

Good luck

Joe11

@Pedro wyoming wrote:

two 400w halides cost about $1 day to run. If you can harvest $30/month in groceries, you are breaking even.

pW

Where I am a 1000w light 8 hrs per day costs $14.

readyforshtf

Give that hobbie up now Joe.

Joe11

@readyforshtf wrote:

Give that hobbie up now Joe.

😀
    Some years ago When I started growing inside I looked adound for 1000W grow lights and the only place you could find them was at places that catered to the closet Wackey Tobakey crowd. Well They were for oranges so I ordered them. Everyone including the UPS guy winked and nodded and made funny little quips.
    It was really embarrasing. Then one day the Sherrif showed up….. 😯 Wanted to look inside at my product as he called it. Of course I said no. Go get a warrant. Then I went inside and brought him out a few oranges. He was shocked that I was growing oranges. A few days later he came back and wanted to buy some more oranges. So we went inside and I let him pick some. He said why didnt you let me see before? I said today you are a customer. So you were invited in.

readyforshtf

Great story:-)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum