Has anyone had to use their preps this year"

Welcome to APN! Forums Connect With Other Preppers Here A.N.T.S. Has anyone had to use their preps this year"

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Cin 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

founderant
    Participant

Has anyone had to use their preps this year to recover from an unplanned emergency?

Cin
    Participant

Although not recently, we have used preps when we’ve had power outages. The outages never lasted more than two days, so we didn’t break into the LTS food as we had plenty in the refrigerator and cabinets. It was winter so keeping food cold/frozen was easy, ice chest on the back porch in below freezing weather.

But we did use the oil lamps, had bathtubs filled with water for flushing toilets, cooked on the grill and the butane stove, and used the walkie-talkies when anyone was outside (we have 2 sets, one set is in the faraday cage).

We have a gennie, but we also have dry camped for years, so breaking it out was more trouble than it was worth. If the outage had lasted longer than a week or had happened in the summer, we might have run it then to keep the refrigerator cold and perhaps run the AC for a few hours.

We have backup wood heat, so keeping warm wasn’t an issue either.

Illini Warrior
    Participant

We have a gennie, but we also have dry camped for years, so breaking it out was more trouble than it was worth.

sorry to interject on another one of your AM postings – but – it’s disturbing to a machinery guy when I read something like this …

a generator naturally understood has two component parts – neither the engine or the generator head should be long term totally idledly stored – both need a regular test run with the generator actually carrying a moderate power load to an electrically powered device – without a regular test run your generator could have serious defaults when needed ….

jimLE
    Participant

I used more of my food supplies then i care for, when I moved earlyer this yearslowly getting it all restocked thoe

Cin
    Participant

Illini – the gennie is taken care of. Husband maintains it on a regular schedule.

The gennie is in it’s own slot in the garage, near it’s special plug that we specifically had put in for it. All we have to do is walk out to the pole and hit the kill switch, then go into the garage, plug in, and start the gennie.

But with the preps we have inside the house, unless there’s a real crisis, it’s not worth it to turn on the gennie. A week without power isn’t a crisis around here in winter. Summer is a different proposition. I’d probably want some AC, if nothing else, although the gennie can handle more.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.