Hawaiian Syle Recipe’s

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Aloha2U

Spam is used widely in the islands and I would like to share with you a variety of ways that it is used here. Saimin is a popular dish and treat that majority of the locals eat here and spam is added. Saimin is similar to cup-o-noodles. What the locals here do is dice the spam and add it to the saimin as well as chopped green onion. We also like to add different vegetables such as watercress, bok choy, bean sprouts, carrot slivers and anything else really. In addition you can also add chopped pieces of chicken, beef, pork, fish, egg or what ever you fancy. Hawaii is big on spam and people here create all kinds of different ways of using it. In adding all these different things to your saimin or cup-o-noodles it makes the meal heartier and you have a wider variety for your plain jane cup-o-noodles meal.

Another spam recipe is made just like the honey baked ham with cloves, using the same recipe the only addition is using a can of pineapple chunks with the juice included instead of using orange juice. You’d have to taste the sauce while preparing to get it to your liking and the mixture size may have to be adjusted because a ham is much bigger than spam.

Spam is also used as “spam musubi” which is a slice of spam on some sticky rice wrapped in seaweed it’s really good! And the beauty of this one is that you can do the same with hotdogs, chicken, beef, fish and just about anything else. It’s just like sushi but we wrap just about anything we can think of with rice and seaweed making this snack a wonderful treat. In fact our 7-11’s sell these as well. But just about everyone here knows how to make these for picnic’s or going to the beach or just snaking on.

Spam is also used in fried rice, using day old rice. Using a med-lg pan or pot add diced onions and carmelize but not too much, then toss in diced spam the amount is to your liking, after browning toss in the day old rice and mix together, while mixing add in soy sauce a fairly good amount and keep tasting the mix to adjust the flavor. Now also toss in a couple eggs straight from the shell and keep mixing, the egg will scramble fast leaving the mix with bits and pieces of egg you can also toss in some chopped green onions. The locals love adding differnt things in their fried rice so just like the cup-o-noodles add in what ever you fancy. You can also add different meats and sausages as well, whatever you add this meal will turn out yummy for you and your family.

Hawaiian Shoyu Chicken recipe:

12 chicken thighs
    2 cups water
    2 cups soy sauce
    1 cup sugar
    2-3 cloves garlic
    2-3 slices or grated ginger

Combine all ingredients in a large pot (except chicken) and heat until sugar dissolves. Add more sugar if you like it sweeter, more water to lessen the saltiness. Bring contents of the pot to a medium boil (and the taste of the sauce to your liking). Add the chicken and simmer 45 minutes (until the meat begins to seperate and fall from the bones). Serve with sticky rice and corn.

With this recipe you can substitute honey in place of sugar if you prefer it taste just as good I’ve tried it both ways and like both. This is a very simple recipe.

Another favorite is Parika Chicken:

lemon juice
    paprika spice
    garlic salt
    garlic cloves
    4 chicken breasts w/ skin and bone

Mix first three ingredients in a large bowl.
    Mash a couple garlic cloves and toss that into the mix.
    Then add the chicken and mix everything together making sure the chicken is saturated well with all the ingredients.
    Put everything in a pan and place in the oven at 375-400 degrees, should be ready in about 30-40 minutes.

I don’t really have an exact amount for each ingredient because it’s a family hand me down recipe, but the lemon juice you might want to have good amount so that the paprika and spices are well blended to the point of a paste yet more on the liquid side. The garlic cloves I eventually end up tucking them under the skin and in between the meat of the chicken to get that extra added garlic flavor. Also, you can more or less taste the amount of the mixture you want as well as having additional chicken to the recipe and adjusting the amount of ingredients to match the amount of chicken used. All you’re really doing is drenching the chicken in this mixture. This goes really well with sticky rice. Personally, I love packing on the paprika but hubby don’t like too much of that spice so I tone it down a bit. But with this recipe you can actually expand it into another and or modify it differently as well.

I’ll be adding more recipes so to be continued………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum