Heat wave

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Cin 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

air commando

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/22/us/heat-wave-deaths/index.html

I know everyone on here is ready for some type of incident and I always feel like natural weather events are some of the easiest to prepare for. With that said, make sure you have plenty of water stored at your house during periods of time like this. You can buy a case of bottles at Costco or Sam’s cheap, buy a few, stick them in your basement. If you have water barrels make sure they actually have water in them. I’ve got 2 and one isn’t filled because I’ve been lazy lately and don’t want to clean the barrel.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I used to tell my guys in the desert to keep drinking even when you couldn’t choke down anymore water, add drink powder (gatorade, etc) every other bottle so you get electrolytes.

Water your plants in the evening or first thing in the morning.

I know all of this seems like common sense stuff but these days there is a huge lack of sense around here.

TRex2
    Participant

Thought this might be an appropriate subject, as we are at the beginning of the summer.

The above link is broken, no surprise, but probably made mention that more people die from heat waves around the world, than any other natural disaster. Seems mundane, until the AC or electricity goes out. And, possibly, with the electricity going out, you could lose the ability to get water from your tap.

Electrolytes are a bit overhyped in our society, but you do need some. Most important is that you drink enough water that you do, eventually, pass urine. When I used to work in a hot climate (outdoors) most of my coworkers drank too much, and too many electrolytes, but by the second day of a power and water outage, we might wish for that problem.

And if you have gallons from summer before last, you should plan to replace them. Some people say the plastic becomes unhealthy. In my experience, after a year, they get unreliable and leak. Putting a thin layer of padding under the jugs helps, so they don’t sit on a hard surface, but I think you should still plan to replace any that are over 2yrs old. Maybe 18 months.
    You don’t want to find out they leaked, just when you need them most.

TRex2
    Participant

Couldn’t locate the necessary links when I posted the above, about heat related deaths. I have them now.
    Hat Tip to author of the Avian Flu Diary.

Picking Up the Pieces – July 2012

Three days after the violent derecho storm front moved across much of the eastern United States killing at least 15 people, hundreds of thousands still remain without power. Complicating matters, many of these stricken areas remain under extreme heat advisories, and more severe weather is possible.

Heat Related Deaths

On June 29, 2012, a rapidly moving line of intense thunderstorms with high winds swept across the midwestern and eastern United States, causing widespread damage and power outages. Afterward, the area experienced extreme heat, with maximum temperatures exceeding 100°F (37.8°C) (1). This report describes 32 heat-related deaths in Maryland, Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia that occurred during the 2 weeks following the storms and power outages. Median age of the decedents was 65 years, and most of the excessive heat exposures occurred within homes. During 1999–2009, an annual average of 658 heat-related deaths occurred in the United States (2). Heat-related deaths are preventable, and heat response plans should be in place before an extreme heat event (EHE). Interventions should focus on identifying and limiting heat exposure among vulnerable populations.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  TRex2. Reason: clarity

TRex2
    Participant

Here in the Ozarks, we just finished up the hottest May on record.
    And Summer has still just begun.

Storing your supplies underground cannot be beat.
    (And sometimes, you need to be able to hide from the heat, yourself.)

dmwalsh568
    Participant

Hydration is key, but having the ingredients to make oral rehydration solution can be a life saver for someone who gets too dehydrated too quickly.
    Forumla I use:
    0.5 liter clean water
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    1/16 teaspoon table salt (NaCl)
    1/16 teaspoon salt substitute (KCl)

I cheat by using 1/8 teaspoon of Morton’s Lite Salt which is half table salt, half salt substitute.
    And if you have lemon juice, a few drops will make it taste better.

Keep drinking it until it tastes salty. Can be pushed into patients who are unable to hold fluids down – just give them small sips every few minutes, and even if it doesn’t look like it, they will be getting sone fluid.
    Obviously if it gets to that point, medical help is a good idea, but if SHTF, this may save a life. Further warning: dry ingredients stored separately store a LONG time, mixed together a few weeks to months at most, and when mixed into water, it’s best used up in 24 hours. So I keep lots of dry ingredients, and the directions to make ORS right next to the measuring spoons and ingredients (in case I’m the one in need of support….)

And to help keep cool, I store those high tech evaporative cooling towels. Two small ones on your wrists and a larger one around your neck can help avoid overheating. At least it can help if the humidity isn’t too high to stop the evaporative cooling effect…fortunately that doesn’t happen too often in my area, your local weather might make them less useful. I bought one set at the beginning of the summer a few years back, then practically cleared the shelf when they went on clearance sale at the end of the summer. Gotta love a good clearance sale. 😉

arkieready
    Participant

Dmwalsh, that is the same recipe I use. Just made a small jar of dry mix last week. DS works in a hot shop and takes a weak dose during the day when he feels he needs replenishment. We find it doesn’t taste great when you don’t really need it, but tastes absolutely “ok enough” when depleted.
    In ordinary maintenance use, I’d suggest drinking plain water more often than enhanced water. There are recommendations for dosages of O.R.S. solutions during illness.

TRex2
    Participant

Thanks to Dmwalsh568 for the recipe.
    Looks a lot better than others I have seen.

Cin
    Participant

I pretty much use the same recipe and have plenty of dry ingredients on hand. That said, get the unflavored packs of kool-aid to give it a more pleasing flavor…I store it all together with the recipe.

That said, I might need to check on that storage – I seem to recall we moved some stuff around in the pantry…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.