Heirloom/Seed Saving – what works here, what doesn’t

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Earthbound

I’m interested in what heirloom veggies (and herbs in case you make a distinction) people are growing and what kind of success and problems you’re having. Besides the drought, I’m doing OK with most of mine. I have not been able to get any peppers to grow. No go for tea, either. The little gray powdery bugs swarm all over most of the cabbage species I have planted. Sometimes I get seeds from those plants but not much in the way of greens to eat. I didn’t plant as many types this year as last. Most of the ones that I let overwinter in the ground or in pots produce seed earlier than they otherwise would have (possibly partly due to some early warm weather we had). I don’t have a large garden but do have a pretty good variety. Some of my lettuce has burned up despite almost daily watering, but I planted more this year so I still have some that’s doing well. Okra seems like it has been harder to get going this year (not more than 2 inches high so far) – don’t know why. Most of my own seeds I had grown and which I planted first didn’t come up, had to plant the ones I bought. I started a new herb patch around the edge of a white cedar (partial sunlight), planted oregano, thyme, parsley and cilantro. It started to grow but then the rolley-poley bugs apparently devoured most of them.

This is what I have from memory:
    Lettuce 3 or 4 types, but mostly Black-seeded Simpson
    Bloomsdale Spinach
    Cucumbers (Straight 8 and Boston Pickling)
    Clemson Spineless Okra
    Bush Green Beans
    Jackson Winder Lima Beans
    Pinto Beans
    Great Northern Beans
    Tomato (from seed of organic fruit, variety unknown)
    Tomato, Homestead (from seedling)
    Corn, Trucker’s Favorite
    Sunflower, Mammoth (from my seeds I grew last year)
    Potato, from organic store-bought potatoes – one doing great. others small

And various flowers to attract pollinators, particularly Marigold which helps keep some bugs away. And some cheap, non-organic radish just to plant around the cukes (repels some cuke eating bugs).

I’ll plant winter squash in August. For space reasons, I haven’t planted any summer squash this year even though it’s one of my favorites. I hate seeing them die when they almost ready to pick. I might go ahead and try one or two anyway. The tomatoes from seed are struggling like they did last summer, but when we started getting rain at the end of the summer, they took off, but a bit to late to ripen. What should I add that I don’t have?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum