Hello Ohio! Where is everyone?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 178 replies, has 102 voices, and was last updated by  Johnny 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)
  • Author

autumnwear

Just curious how many others in Ohio are on the forum, besides myself, of course. 😉

sobriant74

I’m from Powell, North of C’bus, Go Bucks!

thriftymmm

i’m from southern ohio, down near portsmouth.

next633

I’m from the Northwest corner.

Hello fellow Prepsters and Happy New Year! At least it won’t be dull! I’m here in Perrysburg/Maumee-Toledo area. How’s the prepping?

Dan-aka Urban Prepper

Fiona

I’m a newbie Forum member, and am on the eastern border. As to prepping, it’s going. Slowly, never feel like I’m truly prepared.

birdgirl1

Hi, I am brand new to the site from northwest ohio. i havent started and feel really intimidated!
    There are now just two of us in the family and it seems i throw away food bought on just a weekly basis!
    I don’t know how in the world to prepare for two without throwing tons away. Also, due to a resticted diet
    I don’t use many canned foods. Any advice would be gratefully accepted!
    britbird

Marica

I am not in Ohio (although I once was) but birdgil’s question is an interesting one. What sort of food are you throwing away? Fresh veggies? Meat? Food you’ve prepared but just didn’t eat? My first thought is freeze it. Next would be some advise on planning a weekly menu and buying only for that menu. A bit more info or examples might help us give you better advise. It’s just the two of us, too and we never throw anything away, and are well stocked up.

birdgirl1

hi marcia, thanks for your reply. my husband works a full 40 hour week and then works additionally every evening and sat mornings and evenings. (we are tying to fill in where our health care has left off with all the recent changes) It seems as tho I plan our weekly meals, then I end up working late, or my husband calls and says he’ll grab a salad on the road to his next assignment. I buy mostly fresh veggies due to his diet restrictions. You are right, I should cook them, then freeze. But I come home and it is just me, so it is easy to grab a bowl of cereal. I guess since we try to do lots of salads (not a long shelf life!, )and fresh veggies roasted or steamed, along with free range meat, it is hard for me to try to figure out how to prep. We have had great success avoiding traditional meds due to our changes in diet. Do preppers decide that survival trumps diet and just go with what they can store?. If so, then one has to use one’s stores and thus any dietary requirements become a thing of the past?? I guess I am trying to preserve my husband’s health, but prepping doesn’t seem too friendly to that when I read the suggested lists. Our diet consists almost exclusively of fresh veggies, salads, and free range chicken, salmon, and grass fed beef. My freezer is full of mostly meat. We eat almost no white products. We do use winter squash. I almost never buy packaged goods and do not bake “goodies” or treats. (Maybe twice a year at Christmas and on a birthday.) When I read through the suggested lists online full of mixes and pre-prepared foods I realize how far off the normal diet we have come. I realize any food when you are hungry is preferable to the alternative, but the idea of then utilizing those foods so that we don’t throw them out means deteriorating my husband’s health. Don’t know what to do with that! Sorry this is so long. I truely appreciate your response! Any suggestions are welcome. I am really new to this, however I have felt for the last year that I need to begin to do SOMETHING! I think our country is in serious trouble.

autumnwear

birdgirl,
    something you may try is dehydrating your fresh foods, if you garden or use an organic farmers market. I recently started dehydrating and its been pretty helpful in using smaller quantities of food, only when I need to. Canning, of course, is another option, but it’s something that takes up more time in preparation than dehydrating does. This would allow you to eat totally ‘fresh’ during season of things growing, as it seems you do and just rehydrating those same fresh foods throughout the rest of the year. It may require some new cooking skills for rehydrating but i’m finding several useful books out there on simple rehydration recipes of stored foods.
    I use an Excalibur dehydrator myself but recently found a similar one at a far better price http://www.canningpantry.com/good4u-food-dehydrators.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false
    I hope this helped a little.

Marica

I see. When I was newer to this, I had the same reaction to those lists. Are you kidding? I think the very best thing is store what you eat. With a few exceptions, everything is from scratch or as close to it as possible. I grow virtually all of our own veggies, and we freeze them. We bake our own bread. We make our own wine. (Still buying beer!) I have citrus trees so that in a few years we’ll have fresh grapefruit juice. My stores do included processed items, though, and things like dried beans, canned veggies, etc. (The reason for this is because we moved, and we knew it would take a while to get the fresh garden veggies built up, and to get the greenhouse going again & so on. We didn’t want to be caught unprepared while we were in a state of transition.)

There seem to be two schools of thought. We fall down on the side of fresh, healthy, as close to the source as possible. There are a lot of folks like that here. THe other side is more classic “survivalist”– army ration things. There are folks like that here, too. No judgements. But again, I think the best things is to reflect on what you cook & eat, and prepare with that in mind.

If I may humbly suggest, sounds like you guys don’t have a lot of time, and maybe need to get a bit organized about prepping. I don’t have a job to where I need to leave the house, so we probably have more time than you. But could you block off say Saturday mornings to begin freezing or dehydrating veggies? Do you have a place to grow micro-greens, sprouts, lettuce, etc inside in pots? Do you have a small garden? Can you begin stocking up on ingredients that you cook with? Each Saturday of the month could be devoted to a specific prepper activity.

Ah! Just remembered. Over at the old forum someone posted a truly excellent idea. His family uses a weekly menu (so do we) and goes shopping once a week for that menu (& other staples). He started keeping track for a couple of months of all the items, and their quantities over those couple of months. That’s what they bought & ate– and so that’s what he need to store up (whether it was purchased or grown). In this way he was able to develop his own “list” and to keep an eye out for sales on items on his list so that he could store up.

Never sacrifice health.

birdgirl1

Marcia and Autumnware, thanks so much for you responses. I hadn’t thought of a dehydrator, but that is a great idea. I have tried to think of someone I could can with as our range doesn’t work for canning, but have not figured that out yet. In 18 months I will be retired and will have more time (if everything doesn’t go crazy before then. I have no idea how to grow micro greens! I will look that up on the internet. My freezers are pretty full of meat, so I don’t have lots of space to put in veggies or fruit. Do you ladies freeze your meat raw or cooked? I guess I also need to start thinking about a way to cook if I have no power. We do have a gas grill,but obviously that won’t last long. We are NOT self sufficient people I am sad to say. While I cook, sew, freeze and have done some canning (fearfully) in the past, that is the extent of our knowledge. We are trying to figure out what to do with fruit trees and are trying our had at gardening–but we have a VERY LONG way to go!
    again, I so appreciate the replies 🙂

birdgirl1

Hey Urban Prepper, you may be in somewhat the same situation as I am in terms of your area environment. Since I am new to this site by about a week, I have been reading a LOT. I hear much, much concern about people living in urban areas and their safety should things get bad. Are you worried about that? Have you done anything to prepare for that scenerio, or is that not your line of concern?
    birdgirl+1

autumnwear

Birdgirl,
    Don’t feel bad for where you are- you’re learning, just like the rest of us. Everyone is in a different stage of preparation it seems and we can all learn something from one another. I haven’t been dehydrating long myself, but have found it has let me store a lot more than I thought I could, in our lil house. I have not frozen any meat, other than what we may use over the next few months (frozen raw), bc that’s all we have room for. I was told not to attempt dehydrating meats and storing them bc of more bacterial issues to deal with, but I’ve seen several on her and elsewhere that seem to have no probs with it, so I may attempt that in the near future.
    I also just learned to can last year and yeah..i found it a bit scary at first myself- think I was waitin in the jars to bust or something. lol
    I live in an urban area as well (moderate sized town though) and safety has crossed my mind, if things should go bad. Our yard is privacy fenced so hopefully not too many (except immediate neighbor who is over 80yrs old) will be able to see our garden and where we store our dehydrated goods has the windows blacked out/covered, so it’s not visible from outside. Not that we wouldnt’ share with friends/family…just precaution for theives. Of course; we also have very protective dogs and guns as well. 😀

birdgirl1

Thanks Autumnwear. I think my first goal, (non prepper–sorry) will be to get my daughter married next month. Along with that will come a little space in the basement! My second goal is going to be organizing all the stuff that has piled up down there and try for a garage sale. With that money I am going to invest in some prep items, perhaps my first will be a dehydrator. I am so glad to have found this site,,, everyone I know thinks I’m nuts. Birdgirl+1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum