Hello Ohio! Where is everyone?

Tagged: 

• This topic has 178 replies, 102 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Johnny.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 179 total)
  • Author

Hello, I just signed up and am browsing the site, I am born and raised from NW Ohio Near Waterville

charles

Hi! I’m in central Ohio. I’m new to this site, but have been on the prepping journey for a couple years now. My wife is more tolerant than she was this time last year, so I think I’m making headway. Actually she’s beginning to see the necessity of preparedness because we have used or loaned out several prep items recently. It’s the little stuff that gets noticed — “Oh, I didn’t know that we had extra paper plates…”

Lucky6

Hello from Northwest Ohio.

Mikeylikes

bump. hi all from central ohio.

chickengirl

Hello, i am from central Ohio, and am new to joining this site, but not new to prepping. I prepped around the Y2k, but then bacame lax and did not do so for several years. With forseeing the way the govt was going to go back around the election of 2008 i went into fast gear and got out of an urban area in Ohio i wont mention here, and relocated to a more rural area in central ohio.

I must say, there needs to be more members here, and i hope more will see the light and join.

Birdgirl, if you are still around, you have come a long way just joining this site and the willingness to learn. Keep surfing the internet on the survival websites, and i am sure you will find a wealth of learning tools.

birdgirl1

Hey fellow buckeyes- I check back once in a while to the Ohio site, but it seemed to have shown little growth until the last six weeks. I’m glad to see a few more Ohioans catching on. Am wondering what your thoughts are as to how our state would fare in a SHTF scenerio? No matter where you are in Ohio, you’re just not all that far from a big city! I’m near a mid sized town and an interstate. Doesn’t feel all that safe, but no bug out location and just can’t move away from our jobs. What is everyone elses thoughts since you, too have a sense of our state?
    Birdgirl+1

chickengirl

IMO, Ohio is not the best state to be in, but also not the worst, kind of in the middle.

The big cities here like Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati, Youngtown (now ghost town) and probably Columbus also are not too great to be near. By near i mean within 50 miles, further out in the more rural areas i truely believe people will help each other and hopefully sites like these will open more eyes to that fact.

Add to the cities above, the Akron-Canton area.

Ohio has roots in its agriculture, and traditional values still prevail here – i dont think Ohioans will let a SHTF situation do us in just because of places like Cleveland, Toledo, etc..

Mikeylikes

being from central ohio and growing up in NW ohio i see lots of pluses and negatives here. It really depends upon what kind of disaster comes in to play.
    Ohio has a fair climate and the food growing potential here is phenomenal. The winters are hard enough to keep pest populations at a minimum and the soil is mostly excellent with some extra work for rock and clay. But Ohio does get some hard winters especially near the great lakes and has ice/snow storms, tornadoes, high wind gusts blow through the ohio valley, and some areas are prone to flooding. Even with alot of industry moving out and taking people out of the state with it there are still wayyyy too many people in ohio. In a grid down, pandemic, or other situation making people flee…the golden horde from just this one state would be huge! In a long term (more than 2-3 months) grid down situation we have to be concerned about the plethora of nuclear reactors loosing their fail safes and going meltdown in or very near ohio. Speaking of nuclear take a look at the charts that map potential radio active winds if just a few of the key targets in the USA are hit with a nuclear strike. Ohio gets almost a complete sweep of the fallout. Also ohio has many juicy targets for enemies both foreign and domestic. Ohio has one of the larger stationing points for national guard which can be both a plus and a negative. trying to flee ohio to the south will get problematic quickly as there are only so many bridges over the ohio river. Indiana, Southern Michigan, and Pennsylvania will be dealing with the heaviest amounts of the golden horde adding to their own hordes of fleeing people. There are many other factors here but my primary thought for ANY kind of severe emergency is simply how many people are here. I believe that ohio is one of the worst places to be but would also be one of the first area’s to be repopulated/redeveloped post shtf.
    If it were possible to gather a large number of preppers and homesteaders into one large farming and gated community ohio would move up on my list of places to do so. But now were starting to enter the realm of the extremist.
    Who was it that said “go west young man” ??? Barring that find a place you can put a mountain at your back. jmho

chickengirl

Mikeylikes – i have put bugging out out of my mind for sanitys sake for the time being. BUT, what route would you take west to get out of here to avoid the hordes? And in what state would you head to? Personally i would take a “backroads route”. Not sure what state to head towards, and i guess my route would depend on that.

I fall in that group that thinks “bugging out” would put my family in more danger, but of course if something nuclear would hit, that would be a major reason to bug out. Disease threat, martial law, govt control, economic collapse, Cleveland / Cincinnati gone wild, i would just stay put.

Mikeylikes

Chickengirl i am with you on the “sanitys sake” issue. I am a brand new prepper (just one month old) And went through a two week period where i could not hardly sleep or breath due to doom and gloom overload taking it all in. For me…any emergency that allows travel means i am outta here asap! provided i recognize it in time. (which is a big if!)
    For pretty much all man made disasters everything i have read says the western states (away from coastlines) in the lesser populated areas are best and i find no argument with the reasoning behind this. Unfortunately i don’t know jack about living west of iowa or the dakotas, so going west is a goal for the future provided the status quo stays as it is for another 8 years. My route is to go south…by heading west first. We recently had the opportunity to learn a couple of routes between our home and my brother-in-laws home in indianapolis indiana all on back roads. It’s actually quite a lovely drive either route with hardly a soul in sight. Before getting anywhere near Indy or populated areas i’d swing south. I have family all over america but i have immediate family in florida and arizona. Neither state is my destination though LOL. A couple of months ago my parents purchased 80 acres in some alabama backwoods on a river. In a worst case, full grid down, scenario I am looking to go squat on that property. Of course every month and year that no major disasters happen I will just continue to prep here until my youngest (13 year old) graduates high school at which point it’s time to permanently relocate out of ohio. My plan is incredibly risky. I just feel strongly enough that staying put is worse for my personal situation.

birdgirl1

I really appreciate everyone’s views. I guess we would have to “shelter in”. I am so grateful for the post on surviving a nuclear attack. I am going to copy all that info. If we bugged out we would end up having to leave nearly everything behind–most food, water, etc. It jsut doesn’t make sense for us, but I say kudos to those who have managed to develop a plan.
    birdgirl+1

Bobdog

Hi all,

I’m in NE Ohio. I’ve been on the national forum for a couple of months but never checked in here (I guess).
    Sorry for the delay, so…… HI, here I am 😀

birdgirl1

welcome to the ohio group, Bobdog!
    birdgirl+1

Mikeylikes

A couple months?!?! You slacker!!!

hehehe j/k, glad your here BD.

Bobdog

Mikeylikes, thanks for the slap, I needed it. 🙂

I didn’t know you were the state mod here, how long? I followed thelight over to that other site and have seen you there also. Small world I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 179 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum