How to choose the best 80% kit

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    pengyou

What are the best criteria to use to choose the best (most durable, strong) 80% AR15 kit? The same criteria probably applies to other 80%s I am looking into detail – what kind of aluminum? billet or forged? nitty gritty stuff. If you have experience buying/building one of these, it is welcome.

straightshooter
    Participant

I think Palmetto State Armory puts together a pretty good kit, and often has the best prices around. My suspicion is that many of the parts kits are made by a small number of manufacturers, sold in bulk and repackaged by the next seller. 80% lowers are similar, the individual companies selling them just have their own logos engraved and then anodize them. Now, if you’re using a Ghost Gunner mill you do have to be aware that the rear takedown well must be pre-milled on the receiver.
    Have fun! There’s just something very satisfying about making your own firearm.

Legion489
    Participant

I am not a big fan of 80% kits. First it takes a LOT of time and money to build/complete pretty much any firearm from an 80% kit. 80% kits/receivers often (usually) cost more than a finished receiver and/or completed firearm, you often need some power equipment to finish them (yes I know they CAN be done with a file and hand drill, just try it some time and tell me how it went!) and often need jigs or fixtures to drill holes and cut rails. Screw the 80% receiver up and YOU are out the cost. The factory screws it up, you send it back and get a new one. Cost of 80% receiver + jigs/fixtures + time + tools + parts to complete firearm and you can often buy one, or even two of the firearms, you just built, plus throw in a few boxes of ammo to boot. There MAY be a good reason to buy/complete an 80% receiver, but really, just buying a gun from someone who is selling one is cheaper, easier and faster.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum