How to get family around you motivated

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Illini Warrior 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tamtbell
    Participant

Hey there,
    Its me, the person that is barely ever here. LOL So here’s a question that I thought of this past weekend.
    I pulled out our BOB’s this weekend. Actually correct that, I pulled out my BOB and my sons. My husband, as usual does not have one. I have gotten him a couple things in the past and even provided him with a list in the past, but he just blows it off. I know the thought it “I’ll never actually use the thing anyways” but I feel the same way about our car insurance yet I continue to pay on it.
    The same goes for other things. I’m always in a “always learning, always picking up new skills” mode. Hubby is most definitely not. I’ve suggested a couple things he could do to learn, every day things however unless I’m leading the activity, nope won’t get done. Therefore, its just not a priority.
    Now this all being said, he does help when we have to put preps out in storage, he does help, actually does most of the feedings and waterings for the rabbits, and he has been active with the build projects that we worked on this summer. However any other project or skill he’s more or less “thanks but no thanks”.
    This has included target practice. I’m not so great at firearms, he is. I’ve asked him to name a date and time on the weekend when weather is nice and we will go shooting. Have yet to do it. Same goes for hunting and fishing. I’ve told him I have assigned him as the person to find out what we need for everything, especially since he works with both hunters and fishermen (I work with two ladies, one of which is a girlie girl, the other is a 70 yr old woman from the lower 48 both of which have no interest in any of that). Still nothing on that front either.
    How does one get their family member who do understand prepping, understand the need for it, but really do not want to actively participate. He’s more than happy to volunteer me for projects but won’t do any of the projects himself.

Thoughts?

I don’t know if this goes here or not still trying to get used to this new stuff .. I run across a couple of shows on You Tube called War Time Farm set back in 1940’s and Tudor Farms early 1900’s I thought they were very good Documentaries about the way people had to live and get things done especially War Time Farms. It seems we are always on the brink of war somewhere.. Just thought i would share

NJMike
    Participant

Perhaps something got lost in the forum transition. I recall this topic having more replies. I think I may have even made a reply on this previously.

How does one get their family member who do understand prepping, understand the need for it, but really do not want to actively participate. He’s more than happy to volunteer me for projects but won’t do any of the projects himself.

This and the finer details provided sounds like a difference in priorities, pacing, and urgency. That can be rough when one person has more drive or aggressive goals, but on the bright side it sounds like you’re both gravitating to what’s interesting you individually. I’d say celebrate what’s shared and also what’s unique to your separate interests. There are some better worded psychology articles around getting a partner to do X, but we’re all our own people and what works for one couple won’t necessarily work for another.

Good luck!

Illini Warrior
    Participant

your problem isn’t unique by any means – it’s a common fault we have as humans – we gravitate to the preps that we find interesting & entertaining …

you have at least a partner that finds a necessary prep interesting – could have a video junkie or a dedicated golfer – you might never get him to participate in the gardening – best you might do is get the heavy manual labor out of him ….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.