STORAGE-Space-Ideas & Ways to Increase Storage Space

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ReadyMom 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Since I have often had storage space problems in tn the past and still do to a certain extent, I thought it might be good to share some of the methods I have used to increase storage space in several ways that might be helpul to those people who have storage problems. I have touched on storage a little bit in previous Posts in other Topics but this one is meant for some solution ideas and methods. I will try to make posts soon here to the extent of my knowledge and experiences. 🙂 Lifelong

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  ReadyMom.

So, as I wrote once before, not too long ago I got a new TV and found some more storage space beneath it, with a false back to one of the shelves (viewtopic.php?f=205&t=5655).

So, this afternoon I decided to follow up on that little project and make a false back for behind the TV in my living room. [attachment=8:39mqsozg]P6230306.JPG[/attachment:39mqsozg]
    My house was built in the 1990s with a TV nook in the living room. In case you don’t remember, this is back when TVs were normally big clunky things, rather than something that you could hang from a wall like a picture. The TV nook is 42″ long, 30″ tall, and 24″ deep. Even with its stand, my current TV only takes up 10″ (the TV itself is only 3″ thick). [attachment=7:39mqsozg]P6230307.JPG[/attachment:39mqsozg]
    I decided to block off the back 12″ of the nook, which would give me 8.25 cubic feet of storage space (SCORE!!!).[attachment=6:39mqsozg]P6230308.JPG[/attachment:39mqsozg]
    So, after spending about an hour at Lowes pondering what all I might need/want I got started. I purchased a nice 4′ x 4′ x 1/2″ panel and had them cut it to size (big mistake). Why was this a big mistake? Because some how or another the guy at Lowes managed to cut me some sort of quadrilateral trapezoid like thing. I have no idea how he managed to do this, making two cuts into a squared off piece, but he did. I guess that I should have guessed something would be up when he did not wear eye protection nor tie back his dreadlocks when operating the saw. Of course the difference was oh so subtle, but when it was set in the squared off TV nook it became apparent (also, of course, no refunds on cut wood). Apparent if you look close, that is. I screwed two 3″ barrel bolts into the back of the board, one to the top and the other to the bottom.[attachment=5:39mqsozg]P6230309.JPG[/attachment:39mqsozg]
    I set this board in the nook backwards, with the barrel bolts facing outward but on the same side that I wanted them to go. I blacked the tip of the barrel bolts with a Sharpie marker and rammed them against the upper and lower shelves, to mark the spot where they would have to go. Then I drilled holes for the barrel bolts into the shelves. I set the board back in and locked the barrel bolts into place. Locked into the holes the barrel bolts act like a pinion and allow the whole board to pivot open. Next, I pulled the board out and placed some 1″ x 2″ boards on the back of it, near the bottom. On the bottom of these I placed some plastic furniture coasters, so that there would be less marking of the shelf when I swing this door/false back open.[attachment=4:39mqsozg]P6230310.JPG[/attachment:39mqsozg]
    At this point I also started work on trimming down the top so that this door would open. I had to cut out a notch at the top to let is swing past the lower, down hanging lip of the upper shelf. Before I got started on the door I glued a piece of molding to a 1″ x 2″ and had them clamped together, setting. Now I took this piece and screwed it into the wall nearest the barrel bolts. The molding sticks out, so that it will cover up the gap between the door and the wall. I cut a notch in the bottom of the molding to feed the cables through. I also screwed a piece of 1″ x 2″ into the bottom shelf to act as a door stop. [attachment=3:39mqsozg]P6230316.JPG[/attachment:39mqsozg]
    Next, I replaced the door, locked the barrel bolts in, and marked off where another piece of molding would go on the side opposite the barrel bolts. This piece was to cover up the other gap between the door and wall. I glued this piece of molding to the front of the door, and while it set I started painting everything. Just a few minutes ago the third coat was pretty much dry, so I set it all up.[attachment=2:39mqsozg]P6230317.JPG[/attachment:39mqsozg]
    If you look closely at the top and bottom you will see gaps between the false back and the shelves. The slight gap at the bottom is the fault of that twit at Lowes for not cutting at a right angle, but that notch at the top is the only way that the door could open. I think that I am going to get some more molding and fit them in the top and bottom so that I can pull them out before I open the door. Nevertheless, here is the door open with goodies already inside:[attachment=1:39mqsozg]P6230318.JPG[/attachment:39mqsozg]
    And here is everything back together:[attachment=0:39mqsozg]P6230319.JPG[/attachment:39mqsozg]
    And now that I look at that picture I remember that I need to go and put all of those figurines back….

I think that this will work out. I was kinda hesitant to start drilling into my house like this, but the whole thing comes out easily by unlocking the barrel bolts and pulling out a few screws. Who knows, if we sell the place the new owners might think it a selling point. And 8.25 cubic feet a secluded storage space is nothing to sneeze at in my house. With this much space I can finish off my short term goal of storing away 6 months worth of LTS food stuffs.

It was horrible. It was too big for my tiny room, space is at a premium. I tried putting it in the pile of stuff for the next tenant.

And the landlady said the hamper had to go back in my room. I HATED IT.

Lemme splain.

When i was in high school, my stepmother, who was a neat freak and a control freak if you were messy, gave me a hamper, a giant, collapsible, black canvas hamper. It even said “LAUNDRY” on the side.

It served me well over the years, but when i moved into the room i’m in now, it was so big, and the room was so small. When i tried to leave it for the next tenant to move into my old room, the landlady said I couldn’t pawn it off on someone else. I had to either collapse it and pack it away /or/ throw it away. I was desperate. I was about to beg my dad tomorrow to take the damned thing back with him. I also had plastic shoeboxes, a staple of my storage habits since I was a small child, in extreme overabundance. I had 5 that were empty.

Then i had a wonderful aweful idea. How do I carry a large amount of toilet paper and pads if i need to bug out in a car?

And thats how four plastic shoeboxes of toilet paper, four unopened packages of toilet paper, three unopened packages of pads and one small blue box of miscellaneous pads, two bottles of purex laundry detergent, 2 bottles of body wash, 2 bottles of shampoo, and the remaining lids, ended up squeezing into one hamper, easily thrown in the back of a car if the need to bug out arises. It even had straps that didn’t strain my wrists. I moved the hamper up to the attic with my belongings, stuffed to the brim, and /THAT/ was that! 3 thorny problems taken care of at once.

1. paper supply stockpile storage
    2. car bug out carry basket if i need to leave in a hurry and bring toilet paper, pads, detergent, and soap with me.
    3. extra plastic boxes and hideous black hamper are now out of my hair. XD

zazzu

These would be great built onto closet walls or small storage areas.

http://amy-toby.blogspot.com/2012/03/canned-food-storage.html

ReadyMom

MERGED posts

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  ReadyMom.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum