JANUARY 2019 – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion JANUARY 2019 – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  IceFire 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Cin
    Participant

Started the new thread. This is the 2nd time I started this thread. Not sure what’s going on, but the first one isn’t showing up on my feed.

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used
    Canned goods for LTS

Still sewing down my fabric stash.

Decluttered my casserole dishes cupboard – one kid went home with lots of new-to-them bakeware. 🙂

keebler
    Participant

Morning; & Happy New Year.
    cool & rain as usual here in Richmond,va.Nothing going on here, Eye surgery last Thursday. so nice to be able to see better. VA did a great job. I’m happy with the results. forgot , Did receive my mew 100 watt solar panel.
    keebler.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  keebler.

IceFire

Daughter and I got newspapers (for the coupon inserts) and spent a couple of yours cutting coupons and getting them into our coupon binders in preparation for doing the grocery run (coupons were mostly for “personal care”, health/beauty items. DID find a couple of $5 off coupons for the cat’s food, though which MORE than covers what we spent on the papers.

Took the car into the shop yesterday, because check engine light (plus the lights for several OTHER of the systems suddenly came on. After them doing the diagnostic/smoke test, turns out there’s a leak in my gas cap. So, they ordered a new one, and they’ll get in installed once it comes in.

Cin
    Participant

It’s the 12th and last day of Christmas, St. Stephen’s Day, so we took down the Christmas tree and decorations and put them away. I need to do another purge of the Christmas stuff, I still have too much (from when we had a much larger house and decorated more).

I gathered up all the tax documents, didn’t take long as I keep everything together anyway throughout the year. Still waiting on some tax forms, but after that, I’ll be able to file.

Had the parents over for our usual Sunday dinner this evening.

I told Husband we need to eat down the stuff in the freezer – it is chock full of meat from the hog we split with our niece, the venison we got from neighbors and other stuff – I need room for my pre-prepped meals! I like to make a few meals and stick them in the freezer so when we’re busy we can just pop something in the oven. I don’t have room for that right now!

Husband filled the porch wood rack, even though we let the stove go out for a couple days as we’re having warm weather. I think we have a few more days and then winter comes back.

IceFire

Added to the vehicle emergency “cash stash”…up to $430 now.

IceFire

While waiting for my sewing students to arrive this afternoon, went out to the greenhouse and watered everything and planted some more herb seeds. Also ordered some additional seeds (Huckleberry, Emmer Wheat, Tennessee Red Peanuts, and Mennonite Sorghum.

IceFire

Bought an under-the-seat lockbox (TSA approved for firearms) for the truck (already have one in the car) so that I can start an emergency “cash stash” for the truck, like I have in the car. Added another $20 (two $10s) to the car stash. $40 more to go to have $500 in emergency money for the car.

Also did the grocery run today. Saved $110 with coupons.

IceFire

Picked up a couple of bales of hay, 150 lbs of oats, and 50 lbs of wheat for the animals after Church today (still need the milo, but they were out.) After unloading everything, daughter and I went in to town to pick up papers (for the coupons) and pick up a few more things. The cat’s food was on sale for $12.49, and I had 2 $5.00 off coupons, so bought 2 bags. The vitamins were BOGO, PLUS I had coupons for $2.00 of, so ended up paying $4.49 for 2. Turmeric was also BOGO, and had $2.00 off each. Ended up saving 56% off my grocery store purchases (all stuff I will use.)

Cin
    Participant

Good idea on the car lockbox, Ice!

We did our regular grocery run today. Stocked up on what we used and Husband did his usual canned goods for the LTS thing…sardines today!

I want to add something here – There’s a new, SPAM-FREE forum being developed right now by one of our members. Different types of information that our old APN used to have, in an easier to read format. Please go check it out: here’s the link:

http://emergencyhomeprep.forumotion.com/

I’ve checked other threads in this forum and even though it says all those posts are there, on my computer a lot of it comes up as a blank screen. The info thread header is there, but the actual posts are gone.

I LOVE APN and hope I don’t have to abandon it, but the spam and the not-user-friendly layout is getting to me. I’m doing my best to contribute, but we’ve lost so much – not just people but valuable information that apparently cannot be recovered. It is very disheartening.

Illini Warrior
    Participant

going back to the old APN format or anything close to the forum format used on the other prepper sites >>> would most certainly be a benefit ….

trying to start a posting here is wayyyyyyyyy to much trouble right now ….

IceFire

Started the “cash stash” for the truck…now have emergency cash in BOTH vehicles, as well as the house. Picked up 4 30-rd magazines and 1 40 round (all they had in the store) for Hubbie’s AR.

Met the new neighbor who has the property next to our “back 9”. Turns out he’s a ne dentist in town…just when we’ve started looking for a new dentist. He’s also a “boomstick” enthusiast, (asked if I thought folks around would be upset if he made a “plinking” range on his property….well, not if we get invited to go over to “play” 😉 Think he’ll be a good “fit” in the area.

IceFire

Hubs wanted to go into town and hit a couple of stores after church today. Got another bag of dog food ($2 off), a set of files for sharpening the axes, a new door mat, some windshield washer fluid for the car, 4 more bags of organic seed starting mix, some parts to fix one of the soaker hoses, some 6-ft long pipe insulating tubes (NOT for pipes, though…using them to insulate some gaps in the greenhouse) and some freesia bulbs (just because I like the scent.) He got a new red dot scope, a multi-meter for checking the electric around the property, and some pen-type flashlights.
    After we got back home, got some more seeds planted in the seed starters. Put in Elderberry, Huckleberry, purple passionflower, black mustard, brown mustard, and parsley. Checked on the ones I had planted previously. So far, have artichokes, poppies, fenugreek, Roman chamomile, and Bedstraw coming up.

IceFire

Another one I forgot about planting yesterday…Witch Hazel.

Moved 7 wheelbarrow loads of “future fertilizer” from the corral to the fertilizer pile. While I was doing that, the wind started, which blew any chance of working on the composter…being on a ladder trying to wrestle 2x4s with gale-force winds blowing was just NOT an option. One thing I DID get done was tape together the panel pieces that I was using on the greenhouse door. Got tired of chasing them all over the yard when the wind blew them.

Prepped breakfast for the next couple of weeks…made 16 breakfast burritos (potatoes, onions, bell peppers, chorizo, eggs, salsa, and cheese.)

Daughter and I had been talking about which of the older chickens we would be sending off to “freezer camp” this Spring. Already have the “replacements” for some of them (had bought barred Rock and Rhode Island Red chicks in the Fall–they should start laying in a couple of months. One of the farm/ranch stores here started getting in the “Spring” chicks; daughter brought home 4 Buff Orpingtons thins afternoon, and they’re in the brooder box in my sewing shed. The store is expecting another shipment on Thursday, so we’ll be getting some Auracana chicks, as well. (Some of the people who buy eggs from us really like having the blue and green eggs.) Getting them NOW instead of later on increases the likelihood that they’ll start laying this summer.

IceFire

The weather FINALLY cooperated yesterday so was able to get some work done on the composter. Got the long boards re-situated, and screwed into the upright posts to hold the posts into position (husband had to use the FEL on the tractor to push and hold one of them into the proper position so that I could screw the board onto the post to where it would hold it in place. After that, I attached the cross braces to finish holding everything in the proper position. Now I only have to get the two dividers between the bins finished, then get the fronts done, and the composter will be FINISHED.

Went with daughter to the store after church today to get newspapers for the coupons. They had a particular brand of pasta on sale….99cents each, but if you bought 6 (or more, but had to be in multiples of 6) they were 49 cents each! Needless to say, I bought 18 packages…got fettucine, linguine, angel hair, spaghetti, elbows, dittalini, shells, etc. Will probably be going back for more, as the price is good until Wednesday.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum